• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GB News

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I tuned in this morning to see sitting Conservative MP Esther McVey co-presenting Saturday Morning. Of course Esther has already had a media career before becoming an MP as she used to host GMTV on Channel 3.

Not sure if she is going to become a regular presenter or not, but if she is it would be the second sitting Conservative MP to become such, as Dehenna Davidson already hosts a show on Sunday mornings with Farage.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Typhoon

Established Member
I tuned in this morning to see sitting Conservative MP Esther McVey co-presenting Saturday Morning. Of course Esther has already had a media career before becoming an MP as she used to host GMTV on Channel 3.

Not sure if she is going to become a regular presenter or not, but if she is it would be the second sitting Conservative MP to become such, as Dehenna Davidson already hosts a show on Sunday mornings with Farage.
Thanks for the heads-up. I do not want to listen to Esther McVey first thing on any morning, she is someone who is only too keen to tell you what she thinks butd has an overinflated view of her abilities; I am interested in what the guests think and I expect presenters to give them a chance to expand their views, it is the guests I am interested in, not the presenters, which is what the likes of Simon McCoy do well. Unfortunately, I guess she is on because she is controversial and loud. No thanks!

jfollows

Established Member
Thanks for the heads-up. I do not want to listen to Esther McVey first thing on any morning, she is someone who is only too keen to tell you what she thinks butd has an overinflated view of her abilities; I am interested in what the guests think and I expect presenters to give them a chance to expand their views, it is the guests I am interested in, not the presenters, which is what the likes of Simon McCoy do well. Unfortunately, I guess she is on because she is controversial and loud. No thanks!
Yes, indeed, I don't want to listen to Esther McVey any time, actually, sadly she's my MP.

Typhoon

Established Member
Yes, indeed, I don't want to listen to Esther McVey any time, actually, sadly she's my MP.
Hamilton, Osbourne, McVey - what have you done to deserve that? Only four years of the Man in the White Suit in between - he's the sort of person GB News needs, someone who has standards but merges into the background while letting the story take centre stage.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I should add that her co-host was ex Labour MP Caroline Flint. It wasn’t that kind of show and actually I thought the pair of them worked quite well.

As of Monday just gone, Simon McCoy has moved from his Mon-Fri 3-6 slot with former Brexit Party MEP Alex Phillips, and now co-hosts the Breakfast show on Mon-Thu. Confusingly his old afternoon show is still called McCoy & Phillips, but it sounds like it’s a permanent move.

The Mon-Fri 9-midday slot Brazier & Muroki, although it hasn’t been hosted by Colin since Andrew Neil went off to wherever, is to be renamed “To The Point” and will be hosted by Mercy Muroki and new signing Patrick Christys. Guessing this means Andrew Neil not expected back anytime soon?

Typhoon

Established Member
I should add that her co-host was ex Labour MP Caroline Flint. It wasn’t that kind of show and actually I thought the pair of them worked quite well.

As of Monday just gone, Simon McCoy has moved from his Mon-Fri 3-6 slot with former Brexit Party MEP Alex Phillips, and now co-hosts the Breakfast show on Mon-Thu. Confusingly his old afternoon show is still called McCoy & Phillips, but it sounds like it’s a permanent move.

The Mon-Fri 9-midday slot Brazier & Muroki, although it hasn’t been hosted by Colin since Andrew Neil went off to wherever, is to be renamed “To The Point” and will be hosted by Mercy Muroki and new signing Patrick Christys. Guessing this means Andrew Neil not expected back anytime soon?
I'm not certain about how popular a 3-6 programme is ever likely to be, I would have thought the BBC and ITV have it stitched up with non-too-serious schedules. McCoy is much better suited to a breakfast programme, he has the gravitas necessary to interview experts and politicians, but can lighten up if the situation suits it. I don't know what the numbers are like, but I would have thought that if McCoy can boost viewing, they might stick around for the next programme. Phillips now 4-6, programme is called 'Afternoon Agenda' as of next week (they probably read your post), according to the schedule, with DePiero and Halligan on until 4

I think Christys was on Talk Radio, I guess he won't come cheap, they are going to need more viewers to attract the advertisers, to pay the presenters - Farage will be costing a pretty penny and I suppose Neil will still be on the payroll. I also believe his political stance veers towards the libertarian right, but is lively (probably a Marmite character).

What will be interesting is the viewing figures for this week - has the Farage impact held up, how are the other programmes doing, and the other new presenters?

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
McCoy is much better suited to a breakfast programme, he has the gravitas necessary to interview experts and politicians, but can lighten up if the situation suits it.
Personally I’ve never liked or understood breakfast TV (who’s got time to watch TV in the morning? I’m too busy either sleeping or getting ready to go out). The few times I have caught it it seems to be people having asinine conversations. I appreciate I’m probably not in the majority here, but it’s a shame as I quite liked his afternoon slot, although his relationship with Alex was a bit strange, but amusing.
Phillips now 4-6, programme is called 'Afternoon Agenda' as of next week (they probably read your post), according to the schedule, with DePiero and Halligan on until 4
Wow, that’s a long show with Gloria & Liam.

I wonder if Alex will present on her own, or with someone. I quite like her “The Alex Agenda” slot on the current show. She’s been on with Paul Hawkins all week which has worked really well, but he’s supposed to be the London reporter rather than a full time presenter. They do however seem to be getting a lot of work out of their regional reporters though so maybe he’s better off being a host! Bradley Harris last week seemed to be on air every single day; during the week from the North West (where he’s the regional reporter), then come the weekend he was down in London as a panellist on Tonight Live, as well as hosting a show on both Saturday and Sunday.

Scotrail12

Patrick Christys was a good presenter on TalkRadio - he'll bring some younger energy to GB News and always has some interesting things to say. I wonder if we'll get anyone else from there - first Mark and now Patrick. Julia Hartley-Brewer would be good.

GB has made a few changes and I think it is gradually getting better. I think they need to cut down a few of the shows in length though and try to fill all of the weekend slots if possible (too many repeats). 4 hours of Gloria & Liam is probably too much, I'd try and cut it to 2 hours of them and 2 hours of a new show with someone else. Then again, afternoons are a difficult one to get right as is a weekend breakfast show.

Glad that McCoy is on breakfast now, the breakfast team hasn't been that interesting and it's too important of a slot to not have one of their top presenters doing it.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Julia Hartley-Brewer would be good.
Neil and her used to flirt outrageously on the many occasions he got her onto his late night shows on the BBC over the years. He even persuaded her into appearing in a tennis skirt once, on a pretext that was about as flimsy as her skirt (I believe I still have it on VHS tape) :D

Typhoon

Established Member
Personally I’ve never liked or understood breakfast TV (who’s got time to watch TV in the morning?
Old people (not that I do - a bit of catch up TV will do), especially during the pandemic, and during the cold and wet winter months. We can't catch the bus until 9.30!

alex397

Established Member
Busaholic said:Neil and her used to flirt outrageously on the many occasions he got her onto his late night shows on the BBC over the years. He even persuaded her into appearing in a tennis skirt once, on a pretext that was about as flimsy as her skirt (I believe I still have it on VHS tape) :D
That’s something I’d pay not to see.

Julia H-B seems to be a bit of a ‘troll’ to me. In my opinion, commentators should be more professional, regardless of whether they are ‘left’ or ‘right’.

Scotrail12

Julia H-B seems to be a bit of a ‘troll’ to me. In my opinion, commentators should be more professional, regardless of whether they are ‘left’ or ‘right’.
She’s good on TalkRadio, definitely opinionated but doesn’t allow the politicians to get away with everything they say and is willing to challenge guests on the show. I don’t think she’d be much different to Wootton who has done quite well at GB so far.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Further to my message last night, Alex has advised that as from Monday the show will be presented by just her. Wonder why they didn’t call it The Alex Agenda instead, given that’s already a known segment of the existing show.

Typhoon

Established Member
Further to my message last night, Alex has advised that as from Monday the show will be presented by just her. Wonder why they didn’t call it The Alex Agenda instead, given that’s already a known segment of the existing show.
Because they won't need to rename it if the presenter changes?

They seem to be quite slow at updating the 'Schedule' (although McCoy's picture went up pretty quickly).

Trackman

Established Member
Has this been mentioned?
I wonder if anyone else will pull their advertising.

Activists also drove a car outside Sainsbury’s headquarters with a billboard attached which read: “Sainsbury’s is ignoring thousands of customers who are not happy with them advertising on Nigel Farage’s TV show.”
Controversy has surrounded Farage’s show after he made comments about the Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI) and their work rescuing migrants.
He compared the RNLI to a “taxi service for illegal trafficking gangs”.
His comments drew criticism from both the public and politicians including Nicola Sturgeon, which prompted a surge in donations for the lifeboat charity.
Sainsbury’s confirmed with customers on Friday that the advertising campaign had ended.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just a quick note that the discussion about asylum seekers their crossing of the English Channel was very interesting but starting to get quite off-topic for a thread about GB News so has been moved to a new thread here.

Typhoon

Established Member
brad465 said:
There will never be cuts to immigration for as long as boosting GDP is widely desirable, because one needs an increasing supply of people to work and consume to boost GDP. As birth rates are low, immigration is making up the shortfall. For as long as this remains the case, politicians will only pay lip service to the issue. I imagine Farage is either naïve to this reality, or he is aware but as you say wants popularity and/or to aid the world of throwing dead cats to distract from domestic failings.
I don't think Farage is naive; I don't know what deal he is on now for GB news but I reckon he will fancy a longer and more remunerative one and increasing the audience is his key to getting it, he is little more than a 'shock jock'. 'Fortune and Freedom' seems to be very much a side line and, like our PM at PMQs, his contributions come naturally so I'd be surprised if it takes up too much of his time.

Gloster

Established Member
If one is a bit of cynic, one might wonder if the recruitment of Neil and (Director of News and Programmes) John McAndrew was to give an appearance of GB News being a proper news channel. This would then attract a number of other journalists with decent track records. Once the station is broadcasting they can bring in non-journos and shock jocks, and turn the station into a UK version of Fox News. Neil and McAndrew (who has already left) can be jettisoned, and a few other may leave, but they can hope that enough journalists will remain to provide a veneer of proper journalism.

Typhoon

Established Member
Telegraph reporting that Neil is to step down imminently from GB News.
I've seen that he won't be returning to GB News any time soon (GB News: Andrew Neil's return delayed and insiders doubt he'll ever come back - CityAM : CityAM) so am not surprised.

New programme for Isabel Oakeshott (aka Mrs Richard Tice), this is only going one way. Although Neil had fairly similar views to many of the new presenters, he was always fair and would always give all interviewees a rough ride whatever their views.

birchesgreen

Established Member
Its not a surprise if he doesn't return, it was pretty strange him going on holiday after TWO weeks (even though, looking back at some earlier posts, some people will be surprised). Farage hasn't worked after the initial blip either.

Farage flops as GB News figures continue to slide​

An attempt by GB News to resuscitate audience figures by calling in former UKIP leader Nigel Farage has not paid off, according to the latest figures.

The channel turned to the politicianas its saviour in mid-July this year, hoping to recoup some lost views.

At first, it appeared the gamble had paid off, with a new prime-time show titled “Farage” attracting 107,000 views on its debut.

The show managed to best the BBC by 14,000 viewers and rival Sky by 72,500 and was still out-competing the competition in early August, when it gained 145,100 viewers on August 5.
It included a segment called Talking Pints, in which guests were invited on to discuss the latest issues over a beer.

But while it may seem that Mr Farage has managed to reignite GB News from its dimming embers, this is not the case.

Average viewing figures posted on August 13 show he failed to match up to the BBC last week.

tbtc

Veteran Member
If one is a bit of cynic, one might wonder if the recruitment of Neil and (Director of News and Programmes) John McAndrew was to give an appearance of GB News being a proper news channel. This would then attract a number of other journalists with decent track records. Once the station is broadcasting they can bring in non-journos and shock jocks, and turn the station into a UK version of Fox News. Neil and McAndrew (who has already left) can be jettisoned, and a few other may leave, but they can hope that enough journalists will remain to provide a veneer of proper journalism.

I agree - It's started off trying to be "respectable" before giving up any pretence at being "fair and balanced" (to quote the American version!) and becoming the angry combination of shock-jocks/ conspiracy theorists/ tabloid sensationalism - there's obviously a market for that kind of stuff, as parts of this Forum demonstrate - you can generate views by performatively ranting about "woke", maybe it'll ensure a few YouTube views and get people talking in the Mail/ Telegraph etc, to generate the kind "feedback loop" I've mentioned before on this thead - I'm sure it'll do "okay" (not that the rich backers were spaffing money into the project because of the business case, they are funding it for the same reason that such people fund "Think Tanks" like the Institute of Economic Affairs/ Taxpayers Alliance) - but there doesn't seem to be the kind of market for the kind of "broadsheet" station that Andrew Neil seemed to hope for - no such cerebral debates, just a televised version of Hartley Brewer etc

Nonsense

I agree - It's started off trying to be "respectable" before giving up any pretence at being "fair and balanced"

becoming the angry combination of shock-jocks/ conspiracy theorists/ tabloid sensationalism -

generate views by performatively ranting about "woke",
These were the same charges made before the channel even aired.

The most depressing thing I've seen come out the GB news debate is from many of my progressive liberal creative friends who on one hand complain of being stifled by nervous editors, or self censoring when they have something important to say, but on the other hand think GB News is just angry noise, without ever giving it a chance.

There is a definite connection between those those who would control what we can say and think, and those would gladly see GB News fail. But GB News is for everyone and anyone capable of independent thought, debate, and exchange of ideas. I can see why some would find that threatening.

I see lots of mud thrown at GB News, but I've yet to see a single objective criticism.

dosxuk

Established Member
I see lots of mud thrown at GB News, but I've yet to see a single objective criticism.

How about their claim that they were going to allow their presenters to discuss things from both sides of a debate or enforce a "company line" on them, but when one of those presenters took the knee, he was promptly sacked for breaking their editorial guidelines, even though he had discussed and agreed it with their editorial staff beforehand?

Darandio

Established Member
How about their claim that they were going to allow their presenters to discuss things from both sides of a debate or enforce a "company line" on them, but when one of those presenters took the knee, he was promptly sacked for breaking their editorial guidelines, even though he had discussed and agreed it with their editorial staff beforehand?

Indeed. For anyone to claim they haven't seen any criticism that's a pretty big one to ignore.

jfollows

Established Member
Its not a surprise if he doesn't return, it was pretty strange him going on holiday after TWO weeks (even though, looking back at some earlier posts, some people will be surprised). Farage hasn't worked after the initial blip either.

The Times says he's considering quitting (https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...y-amid-talk-of-rift-with-management-j5nz95bw5): fine by me because I have a lingering respect for him but not for the new channel. He's put interviewees to task much better than many others in the past, despite his right-wing credentials.

Andrew Neil delays his GB News return amid talk of rift
Jake Kanter, Media Correspondent

Friday September 03 2021, 12.00am, The Times

Andrew Neil is ready to quit GB News amid increasingly strained relations with senior management at the fledgling news channel.

The former BBC broadcaster, who helped to launch the channel, had been expected to return on Monday but it is now likely that he has presented his final show.

Neil, who also serves as chairman of GB News, has been in talks about his return without a resolution. GB News said last month that it was “looking forward” to welcoming him back in September, but the channel did not repeat this statement when approached for comment yesterday.

He has not presented his 8pm show since June 24, telling viewers that he was taking a break only two weeks after GB News was launched. At the time, Neil said he would be “back before the summer is out”.

Colin Brazier, the former Sky News presenter, and Alastair Stewart, the former ITV News anchor, have provided cover for Neil.

Insiders have been sceptical about Neil’s return. “I won’t believe it until I see it,” one employee said. “Hopefully he gets over himself and comes back — for the good of everyone.”

In an interview with The Times last weekend, Stewart said that he was confident of Neil’s return, saying: “I firmly believe, and I have no reason to doubt, that Andrew will be back with us in September.”

Sources have suggested that the former BBC presenter has been sidelined after clashes with Angelos Frangopoulos, the channel’s chief executive. It is understood that Neil regarded GB News’s launch as shambolic after it was plagued by poorly lit sets, misspelt captions, misbehaving graphics and lost connections to guests.

The GB News board is said to have raised questions about its performance. The channel has been averaging a daily audience of 20,000 recently, compared with 34,000 in its first five weeks.

Executives pointed out that GB News occasionally beat Sky News in the ratings and that 80 per cent of its audience lived outside London.

Neil has not been totally absent from GB News. He appeared, via video link, on Nigel Farage’s programme on August 19 to discuss the crisis in Afghanistan.

Yesterday GB News said that Isabel Oakeshott, a former Sunday Times journalist, would present a daily political programme called The Briefing.

jfollows

Established Member
Guido Fawkes now reporting that Andrew Neill has reisgned as chairman of GB News and will step down as a presenter (however, "He will continue to appear as a twice-weekly commentator, starting tonight on Nigel’s show.": (https://order-order.com/2021/09/13/break-andrew-neil-resigns-as-gb-news-chairman/)
GB News has just been informed of the inevitable: Andrew Neil has resigned as chairman and will step down as a presenter.

“This is to let you know that the board has accepted Andrew Neil’s resignation as chairman today and agreed that he will step down as a presenter of GB News. He will continue to appear as a twice-weekly commentator, starting tonight on Nigel’s show.

Andrew said he is sorry to leave but that after reflection during the summer he feels it’s time to reduce his many commitments.

I know many of you will feel incredibly disappointed by this, as I do. Andrew joined GB News 12 months ago and signed a multi-year contract so we hoped he’d stay longer.

Andrew shared our vision for GB News. He knew instinctively that many Brits, especially beyond London, were crying out for a trusted, accurate news channel that stands for tolerance, diversity, free speech, and fair debate.

That mission, enshrined in our Editorial Charter, has not changed and never will.

Andrew helped set our tone, our purpose, even our launch date. He has been integral to every major programming and hiring decision.
In his absence from the newsroom, I’ve watched in awe as you have pulled GB News together. As I said in my note to you last Monday, we’re moving at warp speed: three new shows last week, two more this week, national radio, and more great things in the pipeline.

Again, it’s thanks to you, who have all worked so hard over the summer, that we are unrecognisable from launch: brighter, stronger, and more self-assured in every way.

I’d like to thank Colin Brazier in particular for hosting Andrew’s programme so brilliantly, proving night after night that he is one of the finest journalists of his generation.

We’re already making our mark as a cheerful, fearless, and open-minded voice that dares to stand up for Britons who simply want to hear all sides, including theirs, in the national conversation. We made a promise to them and it’s one we will keep.”
And, no, I don't get my news normally from "Guido Fawkes" but this report reads as plausible enough.

EDIT It's also on GB News's Twitter: (https://twitter.com/GBNEWS)
Nigel Farage
@Nigel_Farage
·
9m
Join me on
@GBNEWS
at 7pm when I speak to Andrew Neil in his new role as contributor and commentator for the channel.

GB News
@GBNEWS
·
10m
Our Chairman and Presenter Andrew Neil has stepped down from his roles at GB News and will instead appear as a regular guest commentator on our shows.
EDIT BBC now reporting the same, The Guardian doesn't appear to think it's worthy of mention at the moment!

Last edited:

Typhoon

Established Member
Guido Fawkes now reporting that Andrew Neill has reisgned as chairman of GB News and will step down as a presenter (however, "He will continue to appear as a twice-weekly commentator, starting tonight on Nigel’s show.": (https://order-order.com/2021/09/13/break-andrew-neil-resigns-as-gb-news-chairman/)

And, no, I don't get my news normally from "Guido Fawkes" but this report reads as plausible enough.

EDIT It's also on GB News's Twitter: (https://twitter.com/GBNEWS)
Telling last line on the Guido Fawkes page:
Interesting passive aggressive line: “Andrew joined GB News 12 months ago and signed a multi-year contract so we hoped he’d stay longer.”
On their twitter page, Farage writes:
Join me on @GBNEWS at 7pm when I speak to Andrew Neil in his new role as contributor and commentator for the channel.
It will be interesting to see how regularly and for how long. I reckon its just a face saving compromise.

thenorthern

Established Member
From what I understand from talking to people who work at GB News Andrew Neil was unhappy with the direction of the channel as he didn't want it to become the British version of Fox News which it's essentially become. GB News also seems to be covering stories that are controversial as they bring in the viewers but at the same time it can be seen as infotainment.

The viewing figures are of course disappointing but from what I understand their online reach is quite good for a new media outlet. As we are now at the end of the summer holidays there is hope that viewing figures will increase as Parliament returns.