• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRF confirms conversion of Class 56s to Class 69s

221101 Voyager

Established Member
I wonder what GBRf services we may see these on?

Could we see these on the likes of the WCML and ECML? Fingers crossed! Look forward to seeing the finished loco! :D

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

birchesgreen

Established Member
"Low emissions"
"Good fuel economy"

Ummm..... doesn't the two-stroke EMD710 engine fulfill neither of these? It might do compared with the original engine, but I've always thought that the 710 wasn't a particularly good design for these criteria.

Also, "the latest stage 3a emissions regulations". Possibly some bending of the truth there... :D
In the video they also claimed the UK doesn't make locos anymore, I'm sure that's news to Clayton :P

Enjoyed the video though, pity couldn't have heard some thrash.

hwl

Established Member
I wonder what GBRf services we may see these on?

Could we see these on the likes of the WCML and ECML? Fingers crossed! Look forward to seeing the finished loco! :D
I'd bet on being based at Tonbridge with their 73s and running NR infrastructure trains thus releasing 66s for use else where.

hwl

Established Member
Yeah, could potentially be the end for GBRFs remaining classic 73s.
Plenty of 3rd rail work for them.
Basing the 69s in Kent would localise and reduce the overall driver training requirement.

Wyrleybart

Established Member
Yeah, could potentially be the end for GBRFs remaining classic 73s.
Maybe, but John Smith's green credentials would be marked down by withdrawing / scrapping electric locos irrespective of their age. There was talk at one stage of converting a third tranche of 73/9s for Scotland, then sending 73966-971 south. I am guessing that plan is still dormant, but that coluld possibly have used some of the "classic" 73/1s and 73/2s. Given the huge network of third rail, it would be a mistake to bin electric locos.

DB

There was talk at one stage of converting a third tranche of 73/9s for Scotland, then sending 73966-971 south.

Why would they do that rather than just send a third batch to the south (if they were going to have more converted)?

On Moderation
The Scottish allocated 73/9s are AAR equipped, I'd imagine its something to do with that?
So are the Southern allocated ones (73961-965).

Even more bizarrely as to why you'd send the Scottish ones south, the Scottish ones don't have the high-level air pipes that the Southern ones do.

DB

The Scottish allocated 73/9s are AAR equipped, I'd imagine its something to do with that?

All of the rebuilt 73s are AAR equipped and any future batches would probably be too as it gives compatibility with 66s, so would doubt if that would be a reason.

ExRes

Established Member
Looks as though 69001 is on its way for the next part of its acceptance, there is an 0750 0Z56 Leicester LIP to Kidderminster SVR on the way this morning to form 1204 0Z69 to Longport FD

palmersears

Established Member
Plan is for 69001 to be taken from Crewe to Longport, collected by a loco from Hams Hall. The paperwork issues have now been resolved. 69002 will then go from Longport to Eastleigh shortly thereafter.

DB

Why have GBRF decided to upgrade Class 56s into Class 69s versus ordering brand new locomotives?

66s can no longer be built due to emissions regulations, so they have gone for what is basically as close to a 66 as they could get, in a 56 bodyshell. Because this is a rebuild of an existing locomotive, rather than a new-build, the emissions requirements are lower meaning that this is permitted. THe engine used is identical to that in a 66 (and 67).

FrodshamJnct

Established Member
Why have GBRF decided to upgrade Class 56s into Class 69s versus ordering brand new locomotives?

From the original Rail magazine article:

In a statement, the operator added that the locomotives will also address the shortage of locomotives available in the UK. No work has been mentioned for the ‘69s’, but they will be able to replace ‘66s’, enabling GBRf to utilise its fleets more efficiently. The company is also known to be interested in operating construction trains for High Speed 2 and these are understood to be resource heavy.

BRX

Established Member
It's much cheaper to use a loophole to build some new locos that don't meet modern emissions standards, than it is to build some proper new locos that do meet modern emissions standards.

hwl

Established Member
It's much cheaper to use a loophole to build some new locos that don't meet modern emissions standards, than it is to build some proper new locos that do meet modern emissions standards.
They'll comply with Euro IIIA like the last of the GBRf 66s that were delivered.

Far better value for money in emissions clean up terms than investing in new.

Richard Scott

Established Member
They'll comply with Euro IIIA like the last of the GBRf 66s that were delivered.

Possibly also more environmentally friendly overall as carbon dioxide emissions for scrapping an old loco and building a new one will be far greater than refurbishing an old one even taking into account the new parts incorporated into the refurbished loco.

BRX

Established Member

What do you mean by "value for money" in this context?

Possibly also more environmentally friendly overall as carbon dioxide emissions for scrapping an old loco and building a new one will be far greater than refurbishing an old one even taking into account the new parts incorporated into the refurbished loco.
Is this based on any kind of calculations you can share? The implication is that the emissions created by building a steel bodyshell for a loco are far greater than those which the loco will be responsible for in its lifetime of burning fossil fuels. That sounds very unlikely to me but maybe I'm wrong.