• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRf Rail Tour 2021: This time it's personal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cakefiend

To be fair... the Profit goes to Charity, not GBRf
I know, but the whole thing was a commercial transaction - the catering, goody bags, tickets etc.

I'm more talking about the tickets now. Given what went on, those asking for money back are more than entitled to in my book. They paid for a train journey, they didn't expect to contract some kind of gastrointestinal illness on the train. Cramping, fatigue, not to mention the inevitable 'fluid loss' is more than a little uncomfortable.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I know, but the whole thing was a commercial transaction - the catering, goody bags, tickets etc.

I'm more talking about the tickets now. Given what went on, those asking for money back are more than entitled to in my book. They paid for a train journey, they didn't expect to contract some kind of gastrointestinal illness on the train. Cramping, fatigue, not to mention the inevitable 'fluid loss' is more than a little uncomfortable.

You'd have to be pretty mean spirited to claim money back that's going to a good cause. Perhaps a good will voucher could be arranged for a future tour.

Fincra5

Established Member

Not sure GBRf saw it coming. Could happen anywhere....

Richard Scott

Established Member
That's just unfortunate, did they decide to leave the train and go home at own expense or happy to remain on train and red pen locos or whatever their bag is? I decided to remain on train as an adult and knew the risk, don't need someone else worrying about my welfare (fed up with the 'your wellbeing is our priority', no it's my priority not yours. Your only concern if running a tour is that the stock and locomotives are mechanically fit). I wouldn't dream of asking for a penny back.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I think anyone who was informed and opted to continue is really out of luck when it comes to getting a refund and personally that's quite mercenary. I'm one of the ones who boarded the train at the start of Day three in Glasgow and was in possession of all the relevant facts of what had gone on and decided to proceed. I've been ill since but I wouldn't dream of claiming anything back from GBRf especially as I still had a good time!

Anyway who did abandon their journey though at the point of finding out about the risk I do think has more of a case and I'd hope GBRf might consider refunding their tickets. But if you travelled after finding out what was going on? Nah sorry you I don't buy that you can expect GBRf to refund your ticket when you knew what was going on.

To be fair wanting your money back on a train where everyone knew was run to raise funds for a good cause is a bit iffy, i was on a charity charter that derailed around 2 hrs in and the rest of the day was caped, now the organisers wrote to everyone and asked them if they wanted a part refund or just accept their apologies and just donate the refund straight to the charity, that could be a way forward then its up to everyones own conscience

DanNCL

Established Member
An email has been sent out this evening to all who were booked on the tour. As a goodwill gesture £100 is being offered back to all of those with “Full Works” tickets because of the lack of catering on Day 4.

Sadly it was also mentioned in the email that GBRF 2021 would be the last 4-day tour organised by GBRF. I do however gather this was already planned to be the case and the sickness issues onboard were not what lead to this decision being taken.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I do however gather this was already planned to be the case and the sickness issues onboard were not what lead to this decision being taken.

Yes it was announced on board as being so on the final run into Paddington.

theblackwatch

Established Member
Not sure GBRf saw it coming. Could happen anywhere....
Absolutely. One for the individual's Travel Insurance policy, assuming they chose to have one.

I think GB have been very fair in offering Premier Dining customers a £100 refund for the loss of just over a day's worth of dining (given that the cost of dining was an extra £320, or £80 per day, on top of the FC fare), and I am sure that there will be some who will accept this but others who will tell GBRf to retain the money and donate it to the charity. Having said that, for anyone who is a UK Taxpayer, it might be better for anyone in the latter category to take the £100 refund, then donate it (with gift aid) to the charity yourself, so they would receive £125 (£100+£25 gift aid).

Gazzab65

I think anyone who was informed and opted to continue is really out of luck when it comes to getting a refund and personally that's quite mercenary. I'm one of the ones who boarded the train at the start of Day three in Glasgow and was in possession of all the relevant facts of what had gone on and decided to proceed. I've been ill since but I wouldn't dream of claiming anything back from GBRf especially as I still had a good time!

Anyway who did abandon their journey though at the point of finding out about the risk I do think has more of a case and I'd hope GBRf might consider refunding their tickets. But if you travelled after finding out what was going on? Nah sorry you I don't buy that you can expect GBRf to refund your ticket when you knew what was going on.
Indeed, that was the case. Once GBRf suspected there was a likely outbreak of Norovirus on board they announced it over the tannoy during the break at Carlisle on the journey up. The passengers that were joining at Exhibition Centre were informed of the outbreak and if they decided not to board the tour they would be offered a refund. If they chose to travel, then they gave up the chance of any refund, which is fair in my opinion as they then knew the risk.

sftfan1909

Indeed, that was the case. Once GBRf suspected there was a likely outbreak of Norovirus on board they announced it over the tannoy during the break at Carlisle on the journey up. The passengers that were joining at Exhibition Centre were informed of the outbreak and if they decided not to board the tour they would be offered a refund. If they chose to travel, then they gave up the chance of any refund, which is fair in my opinion as they then knew the risk.
The announcement was made when we were at a standstill in Mossend

Status
Not open for further replies.