• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GBRf Rail Tour 2021: This time it's personal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Each to their own really on this - on routes, the point really is that there are better ways of getting these routes covered on one day railtours where the choice of route is what you are buying. The Heart of Wales route is exactly the sort of line that makes more sense as a day trip itinerary (and indeed there have been tours in the last year or so which have covered it)

Agreed, I believe there are only a couple paths timing wise for the Heart of Wales for charters to use to interwork with the service trains, and I think one of those paths involves the train having to go into a siding at Llandrindod for a while.

In terms of track covered by railtours, Heart of Wales isn't that rare, there is normally at least one tour a year which will cover it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

gazthomas

Established Member
I only selected the Heart of Wales as an example, I maintain that for me at least GBRf 20 is less interesting

theblackwatch

Established Member
Having done the first two tours in full I'm somewhat disappointed with the planned itinerary. I know there are constraints on what can be done but to me this lacks ambition, with a repeat of places visited previously (for example Harwich and Hampshire). It would have been good to have covered more of Wales, for example to the coastal ports and then up the Heart of Wales. It feels more like a trip for people wanting rare locos on rate track rather than a proper four day rail tour and given the poor experience we had accessing rare/private sites on the last trip it seems risky). So I'm undecided whether to go, though I wish the fundraising every success

I too have done the previous two trains in full, but I'm not even sure this one offers enough 'rare locos'. The 73s (both variants) have been done to death already on the previous two tours and this train has six of them on it. Similarly, 59003 is a 'repeat offender'. I do hope the train is a success, but I don't think there'll be as much of a mad scramble for tickets as there was last time.

43 302

Established Member
I have to admit that the first two days are not that appealing to me. The overnight leg is interesting until after the lickey and Day 3 and 4 are also only about 50% interesting (to me).

Kite159

Veteran Member
To me the only days I will probably get tickets for is the overnight leg and day 4. Just for the novelty of having electric locos at Bromsgrove towards Rugeley and from Cardiff to Paddington.

But I am a lot more picky when it comes to railtours these days, more to do with the overall cost (not just the cost of the railtour, the cost of hotels as most cases it will require at least one overnight stay, plus the cost of travelling)

Established Member
I couldn't do GBRf15 though admit that what was planned didn't really "grab" me but GBRf18 was one of those that came into "must do that" category as soon as it was published.
Unfortunately, I'm not getting the same vibe for this tour and it's not helped by there being a proposed tour in the Czech Republic the same weekend though, at the current rate of knots, I wouldn't bet on either tour actually happening :(

43 302

Established Member
I couldn't do GBRf15 though admit that what was planned didn't really "grab" me but GBRf18 was one of those that came into "must do that" category as soon as it was published.
Unfortunately, I'm not getting the same vibe for this tour and it's not helped by there being a proposed tour in the Czech Republic the same weekend though, at the current rate of knots, I wouldn't bet on either tour actually happening :(
I think, as it's at the end of september, we have a decent chance of it happening.

gazthomas

Established Member
I think, as it's at the end of september, we have a decent chance of it happening.
I agree, based on where we are at the moment I hope it will happen, but at the same time I hope the organisers look at the feedback and tweak the itinerary.

JonathanH

Veteran Member

The risks of a trip mainly for men of middle and older ages together for four days are enormous. I can't see it (or any other railtour) going ahead this year. I'd love to be wrong but all the signs are against it.

Perhaps everyone booking could quarantine themselves for fourteen days before travelling to enable it to happen.

I agree, based on where we are at the moment I hope it will happen, but at the same time I hope the organisers look at the feedback and tweak the itinerary.

What are the tweaks that would make the difference?

gazthomas

Established Member
How would you change it personally?
I would make the tour more expansive, less of the south east/south England that has been travelled before, more of the south west of England and the whole of Wales in particular.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
I would make the tour more expansive, less of the south east/south England that has been travelled before, more of the south west of England and the whole of Wales in particular.

Isn't the problem with your wishes that GBRf don't operate widely into South West England and Wales beyond Cardiff? The South West of England and most routes in Wales are pretty much in and out the same way and. as noted upthread, running on the Heart of Wales line is a bit difficult / a stagger.

fgwrich

Established Member
Postponed untill April 2021.

*April 2021.

Here is the post.

GB Railfreight
14 mins ·
GBRf 2020 POSTPONEMENT
At GBRf Charity Railtours we are very proud of the fact that we have raised an incredible amount of money for great causes over the years, causes that genuinely change the lives of many. We now however live in a time where all of our lives have been changed, and where life may never be quite the same for a long time to come.
Over the past weeks and months during lockdown, the organisers of GBRf 2020 have considered carefully what the impact of the global pandemic may do to our operation, always taking into account and reviewing the latest government advice on social distancing and how it intends to release the UK from lockdown. It is still not clear what the rules in society will be come September, as the latest government advice suggests that this will be conditional on the UK passing a number of tests to reduce the alert level. But also, it’s worth noting that the alert level, and therefore the rules could well vary geographically. How we overlay any rules that may be in place onto a twelve coach train full of passengers is not clear. What is clear though, is that even if somehow by September that the pandemic has passed and relative normality is restored, the appetite for such travel is likely to have significantly diminished, either because of remaining concerns about contracting the virus, or not least because many of us may have suffered some level of financial hardship through the course of this summer. With all of the above in mind, and the ongoing uncertainty, it does not feel appropriate to continue to make arrangements for GBRf 2020 to take place this September.
All that said, whilst reviewing the latest information over the last eight weeks and coming to this decision, it was always in the back of our minds that if we arrived at this point, we would want to announce such a decision with a plan B. It is not in our nature to give up, and there is still very much the desire to deliver this operation at a later date. We also considered though that a short postponement for such a big operation would be unwise, given that a number of other railtour operations are now being postponed to later in the year - a large number of tours in a short timeframe would be unsustainable for both the number of people wanting to travel and their ability to afford to travel on them all.
As such, we are pleased to advise provisionally that GBRf 2020 (ish) – “This Time it's Personal” will now take place from Thursday 15th April to Sunday 18th April 2021. We intend to keep the itinerary broadly the same, though there were a few ideas we had originally that were scuppered by engineering work. We will need to review the operation against the engineering work planned for that weekend and expect there to be a few modifications/improvements which we’ll share over the coming months as and when confirmed. It would be remiss of us not to be clear that the re-dated operation is of course still conditional on the global situation. Let us all hope things are very different by the turn of the year. We will release tickets for sale when we are confident that we can run and will give plenty of notice of that date as things progress.
We have not taken the decisions above lightly, and we trust you understand why we have come to the conclusions we have. We are very grateful for your support and we very much look forward to you joining us in April next year.
The sad problem with the current situation, is that many charities have lost their funding streams as people are unable to raise money through their usual activities and many projects are stalling. Redating our train will have the same effect on what is potentially a huge donation to Prostate Cancer research funding. As this year progresses, GBRf Charity Railtours may still look to offer some of our more simplistic operations, similar to those we have done previously perhaps using the empty coaching stock moves from other operations. As the ability to do this becomes clearer over the coming months we will share details as soon as we can.
We hope that you and your families are all safe and healthy, and enjoy what you can of this summer.
The GBRf Charity Railtours Team

Engineer

It will be a miracle if the Class 92 works a train through the Severn Tunnel any time, as the OHE 25Kv power is allegedly off indefinitely. There has allegedly been serious arcing problems and the fresh water spring, not salt water issues as incorrectly rumoured, enables aluminium oxide eating bacteria to degrade the fixed overhead power bar. So I believe they will use diesel power on this tunnel leg.
As a side note the water from inside the tunnel was high quality and used by the Newport Llanwern Steel works until it closed.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
As an aside … as far as I am aware, the water is still used by Llanwern Steel works as part of it is still open - only what is known as the "Heavy End" closed.

Engineer

Sorry apologies for my incorrect negative use of the word miracle and indefinitely, in my Severn Tunnel OHE post above. I stand corrected. My source was platform conversations in February. Thank you Captain Big Gun for informing they will re energise system by end May. I assume changing copper to aluminium modification, to prevent galvanic action, has been successful. Lets hope Tour proceeds with planned traction.

Iskra

Established Member
This is now redated to April 2021 and some of the route/traction is revised too. More details to come.

43 302

Established Member
Sorry, didn't realise that. At least the route/traction revision is new news, which should please some as the itinerary came in for some criticism.
That is nice to hear, I wasn't a huge fan personally. Anything you can share?

Iskra

Established Member
That is nice to hear, I wasn't a huge fan personally. Anything you can share?

WNXX/GBRF Charity Railtour Facebook:

Our third 4-day Charity Railtour “GBRf 2020ish - This Time it’s Personal” is postponed until April 2021, however seeing these memories prompted us to bring you an update.
The re-dating of the train has meant that a number of changes to the originally planned itinerary are unavoidable due to engineering work. In particular the Saturday and Sunday are much different to the original plan, and we think, much better!
The change of date has also meant a number of additional traction options are available that would not have been possible this year.
The planning team behind GBRf 2020 have now agreed a revised plan and we are now only awaiting confirmation from a few loco owning parties before we can relaunch this event.
We hope to be able to share the new itinerary in a few weeks time.
Stay tuned!"

Iskra

Established Member
An update: https://www.gbrfcharityrailtours.co.uk/gbrf2021

Thursday 15th to Sunday 18th April 2021

GBRf 2021 will be the third 4-day Railtour marathon that we have operated. Originally planned for 2020 but postponed due to Covid, our train will depart from London Victoria on Thursday 15th April 2021. Over the following four days and one overnight we will travel over many parts of the UK Rail Network, featuring some scenic routes and unique traction before finishing as has become customary under Brunel's famous canopy at London Paddington on the evening of Sunday 19th.

The itinerary is improved too :)

Last edited by a moderator:

_toommm_

Established Member
I don't know, There's some excellent changed in there, but I still miss the bonkers idea of a 92 from Cardiff Central to London Paddington. They could have even borrowed a 91 for it! :lol:

They're aiming to get a Class 69 on its first passenger run too, which will probably draw the crowds.

Iskra

Established Member
They're aiming to get a Class 69 on its first passenger run too, which will probably draw the crowds.
There’s a few interesting bits; class 91 on a Railtour is unusual, as is mainline 08 haulage, an 86 banking up Lickey, plus a trio of class 50’s.

Hopefully I can get a ticket :)

Status
Not open for further replies.