• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR Bridge Project

On Moderation
In the last two issues of the GC "Main Line" magazine there have been articles about the East Midlands Railway Trust (EMRT) which now is the charity supporting the Gap project, but from the GCR(N) perspective. They have a new website which features their plans in some detail.
Do you have the website address for the EMRT, I’ve not been able to find it via Google?

All very easy for people to decide what to do with someone else’s property of course, but the GCRN element is complicated by it also being linked to Network Rail: when the GCRN is running south of the boundary point at Hotchley Hill permission has to be sought/line “blocked” (not sure of the correct term) from Leicester Panel. That needs to be factored in to track changes and signalling arrangements.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bunnahabhain

Established Member
Although, in the past, there was such a proposal and some sketches were drawn, I have seen nothing like that in the project now. I think the numbers coming via the MML station are quite small and wouldn't justify the cost and added complexity.
My understanding was that was to be a temporary station served by the GCRN until the gap is bridged, but there has never been anything progressed on it.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Meanwhile back at the Canal Bridge the workers are just putting in the waterproof membrane and "stuff" on the actual decks. So that a layer of ballast can be laid in a few days time.......and a bit of track with a locomotive "posed" for photo opportunities???
:D

This is a picture looking at the other side and the abutment "Wing" will need some work to be done by the "in - house" team I believe.
DSC00120.JPG

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Meanwhile back at the Canal Bridge the workers are just putting in the waterproof membrane and "stuff" on the actual decks. So that a layer of ballast can be laid in a few days time.......and a bit of track with a locomotive "posed" for photo opportunities???
:D

This is a picture looking at the other side and the abutment "Wing" will need some work to be done by the "in - house" team I believe.
View attachment 80561
Phil - The houses behind the bridge look fairly new. Would the railway’s plans have been made clear to whoever purchased them when they were built or do they predate the current project do you know?

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Cowley
I'm afraid that I don't know. However there have been quite a lot of new houses built alongside the GCR over the past few years and I expect it should be part of the "Search" process to highlight to purchasers that there is a railway at the bottom of their garden.....But whilst some will still complain about smoke and noise.....others enjoy a free grandstand view!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Hi Cowley
I'm afraid that I don't know. However there have been quite a lot of new houses built alongside the GCR over the past few years and I expect it should be part of the "Search" process to highlight to purchasers that there is a railway at the bottom of their garden.....But whilst some will still complain about smoke and noise.....others enjoy a free grandstand view!
Thanks for that Phil.
Let’s hope that they’re enthusiastic about seeing steam trains going over the bridge (surely that enhances the canal view).

Flying Phil

Established Member
Thanks for that Phil.
Let’s hope that they’re enthusiastic about seeing steam trains going over the bridge (surely that enhances the canal view).
Certainly, it will become one of the most popular photographic sites, having the classic canal boat/water/bridge/steam locomotive combination. I just hope it happens sooner!

AndyY1951

All the more reason to get the graffiti cleaned off under the bridge and the brickwork restored and pointed! The bridge job is not complete until this is done.

james60059

Thanks for that Phil.

I believe some at the Woodthorpe development are not though, one resident has even challenged photographers on the bridge :(

Flying Phil

Established Member
In other bridge news from GCR Rail Mail....

"We have now awarded the contract for the replacement of Bridge 341, north of Quorn to Cleveland Bridge UK Ltd. and worked started this week on the removal of the coping stones topping the brick pilasters and transporting them to safe storage using Type 1 8098 and the Sheldon rail crane.

Dismantling of the pilasters will commence next week. We are confident that the replacement of the bridge will be completed by the second week of September and further updates on progress will be provided in Railmail over the coming weeks..."

Flying Phil

Established Member
Re bridge 341
The pilasters (Lattice Girders) have been removed and were taken away - (presumably to South Wales as per the canal bridge girders) for refurbishment.DSC00141s.jpg

Flying Phil

Established Member
I believe the new bridge decks will be going in for bridge 341 in September, as there is likely to be a pause in railway services for one weekend.

MP33

At one location which was the site of an goods yard. Apartments were built only a few feet from the Railway line. When the buyers carried out their conveyancing. They were advised the Railway is closed and will never ever re-open.

Malcmal

At one location which was the site of an goods yard. Apartments were built only a few feet from the Railway line. When the buyers carried out their conveyancing. They were advised the Railway is closed and will never ever re-open.

Wasn't that at East Leake which is on a (currently) separate preserved railway - Great Central Railway (Nottingham) - as opposed to the one being discussed here?

AndyW33

And at the time the buildings went up the railway was very much in use for freight traffic to British Gypsum's works (still is, of course), one would recommend the property owners sue their solicitors...

AndyY1951

Surely over time the ownership of the houses is likely to shift to people who are sympathetic to the railway, those who want a steam railway at the bottom of the garden will buy them, those who don't wont!
Of course there will always be the awkward sod who is only happy when he has something to moan about....

Andy

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
It's quite surprising the number of people who buy houses next to, for example, cricket grounds, and then complain that people keep hitting the ball into their gardens. Some very well established clubs have had a lot of problems with things like this over the years.

It's not just preserved lines that suffer with the Nimbys either. When the T & W Metro was extended to Sunderland/Wearside. There were some up in arms when the line from Sunderland Central to South Hylton was relaid. They complained that they'd bought their homes on the bases that the railway wasn't going to reopen............

Last edited:

MP33

In the Great Eastern Society newsletter there was an article about what is now London Overground and today people who have moved to Upper Walthamstow complaining about the service being increased. Forgetting that years ago there were noisy steam locomotives pulling empty wagons all through the night.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Forgetting that years ago there were noisy steam locomotives pulling empty wagons all through the night.

If they are under the age of about 55 they won’t be forgetting it st all - they wouldn’t know unless they read railway books!

Flying Phil

Established Member
We have wondered on here about a more rapid rebuilding of the missing embankments as it would seem to be "relatively" easy......
Apparently there are far more stringent requirements than the old "pick, shovel and wheelbarrow" tip it here technique, with detailed soil analysis, positioning, treatment etc. etc. which means contractors/costs/time will all be needed.
I still hope that we can get a steam engine posed on the canal bridge soon though....

There was a lot of activity in Quorn yard today (27/08/2020) with a very large crane being used to unload 4 concrete bridge sections for the new bridge 341. It is being made into one unit before being moved into position.
I was told that the old bridge will be lifted by a "Scissor" road vehicle, turned through 90 degrees then brought out on a new temporary road and into Quorn yard. This vehicle will then be used to put the new bridge in place. This is why the new bridge is being assembled up in the air on two steel abutments. (Sorry that this is not a new post but there appears to be a new "Automerge" feature with successive posts from the same source.......)DSC00212.JPG

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
The old steel bridge has been removed and I think that they are doing work on the abutments before moving the new concrete bridge into position. The refurbished lattice girders look good.DSC00235.JPG

It is great to see that the GCR is still making good progress on the "Gap" project during this C-19 crisis.
Thinking about it, in the past four years, they have bridged the MML, rebuilt the canal bridge for double track and replaced (nearly!) a complete double track bridge (341) on their running line. As well as several other infrastructure enhancements - Impressive!

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
It was good to see, on the TV News this morning, that the new concrete bridge 341 was being slid into position yesterday. That it was decided, designed, built and installed in 29 weeks, in a pandemic crisis, is really Well done by All concerned.

Update automerged 15/09/20....
The yard worksite at Quorn is now empty, apart from the remains of a rusty bridge. Just visible, is that one of the lattice girders appears to be in place on the new bridge.

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
Trains are now back running over the new bridge 341.
There is another "Re-Unification" zoom talk on-line on Sunday 27th Sept.....details on the GCR website.