• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR Bridge Project

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Up Main

It is understood that some work is being done to the Midland Mainline underline bridge where Hermitage Brook flows beneath it. It is not directly connected to the A60 bridge renewal, but was delayed from last year. The 'temporary' blocks laid to the toe of the cut away embankment will remain in situ to allow for full width roadway access to the works compound adjacent the MML.

Last edited:

Flying Phil

Established Member
Hi Railfan
I think that those cables are part of a fibre optic network and so not owned by the GCR. Having that extra loop may have been part of the rebuilding of that bridge and to give a degree of resilience in case of future work...possibly?

Nottingham59

Established Member
With Bridge 348, was there any (technical) reason why the signalling cable couldn't have been laid at ballast level?
The cable is in concrete troughs on each side of the bridge, but there doesn't seem to be space to use troughs across the bridge without getting too close to the tracks.

So I assume they clip the un-troughed cables at a higher level to avoid abrasion damage from ballast; to save the cables from being stepped on by people (or machinery) passing across the bridge, and to make it easier in future to dig the ballast out to inspect the fabric of the bridge from above.

On the Bennerley Viaduct, I notice the angle between the deck plate and the vertical parapet plate does seem to be a particular focus of corrosion, so I would expect this area to need regular inspection too.

John Webb

Established Member
With Bridge 348, was there any (technical) reason why the signalling cable couldn't have been laid at ballast level?

Hi Railfan
I think that those cables are part of a fibre optic network and so not owned by the GCR. Having that extra loop may have been part of the rebuilding of that bridge and to give a degree of resilience in case of future work...possibly?
If it is Fibre-Optic then there much more restriction on the curvature such cable can be given. To dodge round the abutment pillars at low level would have needed bends that would have been too sharp. And Nottingham59's comments above are also valid for either electrical or fibre-optic cables.

Flying Phil

Established Member
There has been more progress on the roadway at the bottom of the A60 bridge embankment.
DSC01969.JPG

The works compound has gained a couple more containers and stuff! There are 4 pump/pipelines for the stream diversion under the MML. The dry conditions are obviously helping this project!
DSC01973.JPG

Flying Phil

Established Member
The widening of the roadway and embankment support wall has been finished to enable the NR work on the MML bridge across the brook to take place. It looks as though the old steel girders have been cocooned and grit blasted?
It will also help for the A60 bridge replacement. The prep work will be to remove the existing track and ballast. Then, in October, the old bridge will be craned out. The lower section of the remaining brickwork will be made good. Then the new top section for the abutments together with new concrete top pieces will be craned into place, followed by the new bridge sections at the end of October.

38Cto15E

With the bridge(s) repair work around Quorn being left until March, will this effect 60163 Torndao which is suposed to be coming in January to undertake some high speed running?

Flying Phil

Established Member
I suspect the short answer is "yes", but exactly what will happen, who knows? Tornado still needs a lot of work to get it ready to run I believe.

Flying Phil

Established Member
News from the GCR website.
The A60 Bridge work is starting this coming weekend.

"Temporary road closures are will be in place on the A60 Nottingham Road between the junction of Station Boulevard, Loughborough, and the junction of Loughborough Road, Cotes, from 01st October 2022 to allow Volker Laser, on behalf of the GCR to safely undertake works to replace the rail overbridge.

The existing 120 year old structure is life expired and has been struck many times by over height lorries. Replacing it with a twin track structure, will allow freight trains from the national rail network to use the line again as well as paving the way for heritage trains to run between Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire as part of the Reunification project."

Last edited by a moderator:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
News from the GCR website.
The A60 Bridge work is starting this coming weekend.

"Temporary road closures are will be in place on the A60 Nottingham Road between the junction of Station Boulevard, Loughborough, and the junction of Loughborough Road, Cotes, from 01st October 2022 to allow Volker Laser, on behalf of the GCR to safely undertake works to replace the rail overbridge.

The existing 120 year old structure is life expired and has been struck many times by over height lorries. Replacing it with a twin track structure, will allow freight trains from the national rail network to use the line again as well as paving the way for heritage trains to run between Leicestershire and Nottinghamshire as part of the Reunification project."
Sounds good.

AndrewE

Established Member
Let's hope it is either a much shallower deck (higher above the road) or the road is lowered - or that there are massive girders placed at bridge height either side to stop "over-height lorries" continuing to hit it in the future.

Flying Phil

Established Member
The GCR have said that the bridge will have a greater clearance by virtue of design using all available techniques. The road cannot be lowered further as it is next to a brook which floods. There are "collision beams" in the design.

zwk500

Veteran Member
The GCR have said that the bridge will have a greater clearance by virtue of design using all available techniques. The road cannot be lowered further as it is next to a brook which floods. There are "collision beams" in the design.
Presumably rebuilding the railway to provide the full clearance was not practical, understandably so. Collision beams will add to the cost though, and their presence suggests there's a regular enough lorry traffic on this route to make a collision a probability.

Flying Phil

Established Member
I have just been e mailed this...."the A60 bridge, there are two excavators on the track bed removing the ballast, so its begun!!!!!

Flying Phil

Established Member
Excellent, will you be out with the camera following progress Phil?
I will try. I am at Rothley on the Windcutter Information/Sales Stand on Sat and Sunday so will try to pop along to Lbro to see progress.

fgwrich

Established Member
I will try. I am at Rothley on the Windcutter Information/Sales Stand on Sat and Sunday so will try to pop along to Lbro to see progress.
That’ll be good if you can - hopefully this will enable things on the NHR to slowly start to come back again. Best of luck for the weekend, I need to pop up to the GCR sometime and have a look at the windcutter rake.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
That’ll be good if you can - hopefully this will enable things on the NHR to slowly start to come back again. Best of luck for the weekend, I need to pop up to the GCR sometime and have a look at the windcutter rake.
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the windcutter rake.?

Flying Phil

Established Member
Excuse my ignorance, but what is the windcutter rake.?
Hi Stevieboy
A major feature of all railways (- indeed their very reason) was to move bulk loads from where they are to where they are needed. In the UK, for over 100 years, small four wheel wagons were used. Initially these had wooden bodies but, in the 1930's, more steel bodies became common and in WW2 a standard specification was drawn up. The 16 Ton mineral wagon. Over 220,000 were built and they were everywhere! Long trains, 40 or more trundled slowly (- because most had no vacuum brakes only handbrakes. At the top of inclines they were stopped and the guard would "Pin Down" a certain proportion to maintain a degree of control, plus the locomotive and manual brake van brakes) the length and breadth of Britain.
On the GCR they wanted to speed up the traffic so assembled trains with more vac brakes and "through pipes" so the driver had much more control. These fast freights were called "Windcutters" or Annesley "Runners".
By 1992 virtually All of these wagons had been scrapped but "Steam Railway" magazine organised a fund to buy the ones remaining to recreate that "Lengthy train" of 16T mineral wagons, the "Windcutter Rake" This was offered space and running on the GCR.
A small number of volunteers has been maintaining them ever since. The number of running vehicles has varied from 14 to 24 and we have 30 (with 6 on loan to the P&B Rly). We are trying to get a train of 30 running for our 30th anniversary in November......

LowLevel

Established Member
Hi Stevieboy
A major feature of all railways (- indeed their very reason) was to move bulk loads from where they are to where they are needed. In the UK, for over 100 years, small four wheel wagons were used. Initially these had wooden bodies but, in the 1930's, more steel bodies became common and in WW2 a standard specification was drawn up. The 16 Ton mineral wagon. Over 220,000 were built and they were everywhere! Long trains, 40 or more trundled slowly (- because most had no vacuum brakes only handbrakes. At the top of inclines they were stopped and the guard would "Pin Down" a certain proportion to maintain a degree of control, plus the locomotive and manual brake van brakes) the length and breadth of Britain.
On the GCR they wanted to speed up the traffic so assembled trains with more vac brakes and "through pipes" so the driver had much more control. These fast freights were called "Windcutters" or Annesley "Runners".
By 1992 virtually All of these wagons had been scrapped but "Steam Railway" magazine organised a fund to buy the ones remaining to recreate that "Lengthy train" of 16T mineral wagons, the "Windcutter Rake" This was offered space and running on the GCR.
A small number of volunteers has been maintaining them ever since. The number of running vehicles has varied from 14 to 24 and we have 30 (with 6 on loan to the P&B Rly). We are trying to get a train of 30 running for our 30th anniversary in November......
Very nice they are too, along with the other freight wagons they do set the GCR apart in how it is able to operate, multiple long freights passing each other is a sight (and sound!) to see.

The only issue I have is with the name - working in the area where some long retired folks still remember Annesley, to a man they scoff at the "Windcutters" - "they're bloody Runners!" one chap said to me the other week. Apparently he was first put right on that by the shed foreman in the late 50s :lol:

Flying Phil

Established Member
LowLevel is quite correct, but it has always had the name "Windcutter" for the wider audience. When we take them further North, on trips over the (former) "Gap" we can call them "Runners"............ :lol:

Taken this afternoon at the A60 bridge .....
DSC02085.JPG

Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Great stuff Phil. Thanks for keeping us updated.

38Cto15E

Is this bridge the only obstacle stopping The Gypsum Trains running again or are there more bridges on the Northern section which need attention?

Flying Phil

Established Member
Is this bridge the only obstacle stopping The Gypsum Trains running again or are there more bridges on the Northern section which need attention?
I believe there is a bridge just to the North of East Leake which is a cause for concern when the locomotive runs round.....but I do not know the details.

38Cto15E

Thanks Phil,I expect it will help finances greatly when the Gypsum trains can start running again.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Hi Stevieboy
Brilliant, thank you very much for this explanation, very informative, I know that type of wagons, but did not know they had that name. Cheers.

jfowkes

The GCR have produced a YouTube video about the demolition.

Excellent production values on that video, they've clearly realised the value of quality social media content.