• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

GCR building plans

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hornby Dublo

Hi Iam new hear so hope this is in the correct place?
Iam looking for the building plans/Drawings for Leicester GCR station .I want to know what the rooms were used for when built as iam planing to build a model ,I have track plans and overall site layout but the plans for the entrance/ parcel office have eluded me for a number of years . I have a new drawing from the current owners as they have been renovating it but sadly some rooms are not as built

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

peteb

Have you tried Leicester City's Historic Environment Record which should be held by the Council, maybe at the main archive/library? There might be deposited plans there of the building as built? You could also look at the Council's planning history for the building post-BR, eg 1970s.

Taunton

Established Member
Mine is up in the attic, but doesn't George Dow's history of the GCR, Vol 2, which covers the London extension, have some detailed plans of the major stations?

Hornby Dublo

I have tryed the local records office the other year and i dont think G Dows volume have the plans as i have them aswell
Also atm everyone is shut due to this virus

peteb

You could ask Leicester City Council if they have any plans of the station buildings on microfiche or digitised that they could provide on pdf. There might be a small charge however.

peteb

Well good luck with that, hopefully someone working from home will be able to access the system remotely and provide assistance. Not sure if the British Rail Board still exists, you know the folks responsible for disused tunnels etc but still nominally maintained by them. They might know where the bundle of deeds etc went when the site was sold off...

Well good luck with that, hopefully someone working from home will be able to access the system remotely and provide assistance. Not sure if the British Rail Board still exists, you know the folks responsible for disused tunnels etc but still nominally maintained by them. They might know where the bundle of deeds etc went when the site was sold off...
Sounds like a great modelling project as there were classes of steam locos from almost every region represented there in the 50s and 60s, not to mention dmu and cross country diesel haulage!

Taunton

Established Member
You will have to look in the book somewhere to see if they are sufficiently detailed. I just recall the engineering drawings of the main stations are at the end of the book all together.

Hornby Dublo

You will have to look in the book somewhere to see if they are sufficiently detailed. I just recall the engineering drawings of the main stations are at the end of the book all together.
The books do not have the drawings building plans of the leicester parcels offices only the layout of the site .I have the Dow books

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi Iam new hear so hope this is in the correct place?
Iam looking for the building plans/Drawings for Leicester GCR station .I want to know what the rooms were used for when built as iam planing to build a model ,I have track plans and overall site layout but the plans for the entrance/ parcel office have eluded me for a number of years . I have a new drawing from the current owners as they have been renovating it but sadly some rooms are not as built
Anything useful in the Newton Collection held at their archives? More images than plans maybe

Hornby Dublo

Last edited:

Dr Hoo

Established Member
I've had a skim through various Great Central books but there seem to be hardly any photographs of the completed original design (as opposed to during construction). Various plans show the track and signalling in detail but not the passenger facilities.

The OP may be aware that the design of the south end was compromised by the need to conserve a surviving Roman pavement by building 'over' it whilst avoiding it. Ironically said pavement subsequently dug up and removed to the city's Jewry Wall Museum.

The OP may also be aware of the series of railway crime novels (set just after the Second World War) by Stephen Done. The protagonist, Detective Inspector Vignoles, has his office on Leicester Central Station and there is quite a bit of supposedly accurate architectural detail included by the way in the stories. It might be worth trying to get in touch with the author to see if he has a plan.

Hornby Dublo

I've had a skim through various Great Central books but there seem to be hardly any photographs of the completed original design (as opposed to during construction). Various plans show the track and signalling in detail but not the passenger facilities.

The OP may be aware that the design of the south end was compromised by the need to conserve a surviving Roman pavement by building 'over' it whilst avoiding it. Ironically said pavement subsequently dug up and removed to the city's Jewry Wall Museum.

The OP may also be aware of the series of railway crime novels (set just after the Second World War) by Stephen Done. The protagonist, Detective Inspector Vignoles, has his office on Leicester Central Station and there is quite a bit of supposedly accurate architectural detail included by the way in the stories. It might be worth trying to get in touch with the author to see if he has a plan.
I doubt very much if the Author could help . I am waiting on various sorces atm and i have the overall layout from a copy for the restoration but its a new drawing that does not give the origanal room deatails that i want

30907 said:

Shipley MRS will have extensively researched the area for their Leicedter North layout - worth contacting them?
https://www.shipleymrs.co.uk/

The Shipley model railway as i thought do not have plans as they only did there research south of the station

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.