• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Countdown? As lexiographers.
You are correct in as much as Richard Samson was a lexicographer before Susie Dent took over the role

Beverley Isherwood & Cathy Hytner used to do the letters on alternate days before Carol Vorderman took over

Likewise Linda Barrett and Carol used to do the numbers on alternate days before Carol did both letters and numbers

the next round is yours

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
A test on your knowledge of Roman/Latin names for English towns or cities. Whoever gets most correct will take the floor.

What is the modern day name for these towns or cities?:

Aquae Arnemetiae
Aquae Sulis
Camulodunum
Cantabrigia
Corinium
Deva
Dunelmum
Eboracum
Noviomagus Reginorum

Pons Aelius
Venta Belgarum
Verulamium

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Does that mean that we effectively now have a new 'Victor Ludorum' as John Griffiths can't now be topped?

SteveM70

Established Member
And I think Corinium is Cirencester. Used to drive through it twice a week 25 years ago, and I think it was on the signs

MotCO

Established Member
That’s Buxton. I presume the Cantab.... one is Cambridge as you see people with qualifications such as “MA (Cantab)”

That's correct on both counts. Many years ago I wondered why so many people had a degree from Canterbury :oops:.

MotCO

Established Member
And I think Corinium is Cirencester. Used to drive through it twice a week 25 years ago, and I think it was on the signs
Again correct.

The role of honour is as follows:

Nick_C II
MCR II
John Griffiths V
Steve M70 III

I declare John as Victor Ludorum, and ask him to don the laurel leaves and pose the next question.

Calthrop

Established Member
Afraid not. M is not just a letter here, more a kind of job title.

I was having thoughts about Mary Tudor, Queen of England 1553 -- 58, notorious for somewhat excessive zeal for her version of the Christian faith; but the connections with the rest of the clue, varied from far-fetched to "don't know" -- and the above, seems to make it clear that it isn't about her.

Sorry, it is not corn. This vegetable is a form of sunflower, but its English name implies it Is a completely different kind of vegetable. The name consists of two words.