• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thank you!

This is a random list in no particular order of fiction books in my collection; can you give me the author(s), please?

The "Yes Minister" and "Yes Prime Minister" Chronicles
"The Ghost Train"
"The Pop Larkin Chronicles"
"Kind Hearts and Coronets"
"The Pyrates"
"They Used to Play on Grass"

Thank you.

(Question corrected - sorry!)

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
"The Pop Larkin Chronicles"

"The Pyrates"

Am far from certain; but, suggestions here: Pop Larkin -- H.E. Bates?

There's a book titled "The Pyrates" by George MacDonald Fraser (he of "Flashman"); but it's a work of fiction: a bonkers nautical "epic" set in the reign of Charles II.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Am far from certain; but, suggestions here: Pop Larkin -- H.E. Bates?

There's a book titled "The Pyrates" by George MacDonald Fraser (he of "Flashman"); but it's a work of fiction: a bonkers nautical "epic" set in the reign of Charles II. An excellent book but, as you say, completely bonkers!
Yes, they're both correct ... the question should have read "Fiction", not "Non Fiction" - it's now been corrected!

SteveM70

Established Member
They Used To Play On Grass is (at least partly - was there a co-author?) by Terry Venables

Gloster

Established Member
Gordon Williams was Terry Venables’ co-writer, I think (or was that just Hazell)?
One half of the Ministers was Johnathan Lynn.

Was it Val Guest that was Arnold Ridleys co-writer, that name rings bells in my head.

Also Kind Hearts and Coronets was based on a book Israel Rank by Roy Horniman I believe.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Gordon Williams was Terry Venables’ co-writer, I think (or was that just Hazell)?
One half of the Ministers was Johnathan Lynn.

Yes, Gordon Williams was Tel's co-writer for both, and Jonathan Lynn was the c-o-writer with who for the Ministers books - well done.
Was it Val Guest that was Arnold Ridleys co-writer, that name rings bells in my head.

Also Kind Hearts and Coronets was based on a book Israel Rank by Roy Horniman I believe.
Val Guest was a film director and screenwriter, but didn't co-write The Ghost Train.

Roy Horniman did write the original version of KH&C, and it was issued under the original name as well, so you're right there; thanks.

So, with two answers to go, the scores on the doors are as follows:
Calthrop 2
444045 1.5
Gloster 1
SteveM70 0.5

Two half points are still available.

Thanks, everyone!

The only other name that I can dredge up is Bernard Merivale who I believe co-wrote with Arnold Ridley but I didnt think
it included The Ghost Train but I could be wrong.
I think Anthony Jay helped Johnathan Lynn write Yes Minister.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The only other name that I can dredge up is Bernard Merivale who I believe co-wrote with Arnold Ridley but I didn't think it included The Ghost Train but I could be wrong.
Sadly, you are wrong; it wasn't him.
I think Anthony Jay helped Johnathan Lynn write Yes Minister.
But this time, you're right.

Arnold Ridley's co-writer was a woman - and I have to say that although I've read the book, I've never heard of her. This is an adaption of Arnold Ridley's original play , and she also carried out the same task for another Ridley play - "The Wrecker".

I'll leave it for an hour or so ... it might help if I say that her initials are a reversal of Arnold Ridley's.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
As no-one's offered anything on the outstanding question for a while, I'll call this to a halt.

Arnold Ridley's co-writer for the book of "The Ghost Train" was Ruth Alexander ... no, nor me, either!

We have joint winners: Calthrop and 444045, both with two points, and I'd like to congratulate them for this. They can decide between them who takes over the library ... but please do it quietly!

Thank you @Calthrop & @EbbwJunction1

In which years did the following happen please :

1/ The launch of Channel 5 and which pop group helped celebrate it ?

2/ John Cravens Newsround began on BBC ?

3/ New Years Day was celebrated as a public holiday for the 1st time ?

4/ The film The Sound of Music was released ?

5/ Southampton won the FA Cup ?

Last edited:

A Challenge

Established Member
4. 1979 - not sure why but I'm thinking either this or a different one, but can't give two guesses together so someone can guess the other one if they know what it is

MotCO

Established Member
4. Sound of Music 1965
2. Newsround 1970
1. C4 1993, and I'll also say Spice Girls.

Quick update for everyone :

We are still looking for the years these happened please :

1/ The launch of Channel 5 - The Spice Girls have been corrected guessed a the group involved in the opening.

2/ John Craven's Newsround show 1st shown on BBC.