• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
Motor racing, so green?

I'm afraid I can't allow it. You have the right answer, but for the wrong reasons - I don't think that the racing colours of the other countries are as I set out.

So the question has morphed a bit:

If America is blue, Australia is blue, and France is orange/brown, why is is England green?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
If one may... I like fairy stories, there is more truth in them than one might suppose

For what good reason were the Seven Small Dwarves small?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
The seams were often very thin, only small adults or children could get in, normal-sized or bigger stronger people just would not fit. After as much coal or ore as possible had been extracted the supports were removed, often the weigh of rock above closed the gap soon after
The pointed felt hats worn by the dwarves had a purpose too, protecting from falling stones, no helmets back then

Just read about this today, never thought about it before

@EbbwJunction1 over to you

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thank you; I must admit that this is something that I've never considered, but must now remember for when I'm in the pub next!!

Moving on .... there are eight physical trophies competed for during Rugby Union's Six Nations Championship. Can you tell me the following:
1. The name of each trophy
2. The identity of the teams that play
3. The date that the actual trophy was first played for
4. The date of the first match in each of the eight series

One point for each complete answer!

Thank you.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
2. WALES, Italy, France, Eire, Scotland, England?
That makes six. No idea about the other questions, I just know Wales usually wins
I'd like to give you a point, but I'm afraid that I can't! This is because there's no rugby team called "Eire" (or even the "Republic of Ireland") as the Irish team covers the whole Ireland of Ireland.

A clue: you need to identify what the eight trophies are called and then identify which teams compete for them. The amended answer above counts towards one of these eight trophies.

SteveM70

Established Member
Calcutta Cup
England and scotland
about 1890
Holders - Scotland

Triple Crown
England wales Scotland ireland
First played for about 1890
Trophy first award about 2005 (I’m sure there wasn’t a physical trophy up till then. Bill MacLaren used to call it the invisible cup)

Six nations trophy (?)
Presumably when the Italians joined so about 2000

Doddie Weir cup
Wales and Scotland

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Calcutta Cup
England and scotland
about 1890
Holders - Scotland
Yes, the Calcutta Cup is England v Scotland, but I also would like the date of the first match in the series and the date when the trophy was first played for (they are different), please. Two points
Triple Crown
England wales Scotland ireland
First played for about 1890
Trophy first award about 2005 (I’m sure there wasn’t a physical trophy up till then. Bill MacLaren used to call it the invisible cup)
This trophy doesn't have a specific name, so that'll be fine, as will the countries. You're too late for the first series match and too early for the first trophy match. Two points
Six nations trophy (?)
Presumably when the Italians joined so about 2000
The same applies here, the trophy doesn't have a name, and the current matches date from 2000. Four points
Doddie Weir cup
Wales and Scotland
Yes, to all answers - but when did Wales first play Scotland? Three points

Thanks, and well done.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
This seems to have gone quiet, so let's see if I can give you some clues.

The only things I need for the trophies identified by SteveM70 are the years for the Triple Crown, the Calcutta Cup and the year when Wales first played Scotland, please.
Secondly, here are some clues for the other four trophies:
1. One is named after an Italian Patriot
2. Another is a shallow two-handled drinking cup or bowl
3. The name of the third represents the relationship between the two countries involved
4. The fourth is named after a specific time in recent history.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I think that I'll call this one to a halt, as I don't think that I'm going to get any more answers.

These are the trophies, the countries that play for them and the dates I was asking for:

Triple Crown (it doesn't actually have a name): Wales, Ireland, England and Scotland; year first played for: 1883; year current trophy first played for: 2006.
Six Nations / Grand Slam (again, it doesn't actually have a name): Wales, Ireland, Italy, France, England and Scotland; 2000; 2000.
Calcutta Cup: England and Scotland; 1872; 1879.
Guiseppe Garibaldi Cup: France and Italy; 2000; 2007
Centenary Quaich: Ireland v Scotland; 1877; 1989.
Auld Alliance Trophy: France and Scotland; 1010; 2018.
Doddie Weir Cup: Scotland and Wales; 1883; 2018.
Millennium Trophy: England v Ireland; 1875; 1988.

As SteveM70 got most of the correct answers, I'm going to award him the keys to the Trophy Cabinet.

SteveM70

Established Member
Thank you

This is local to me but I suspect won’t detain you for long....

One of the graves in the new churchyard in Heptonstall is repeatedly defaced. Whose grave, and why?