• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
Wow we have some fantastic people on this site with great General Knowledge,

Only 1 answer left to get now :

4/ In which year did the Human League top the charts with "Don't you want me" ?

1982?

Gloster

Established Member
An uncle of mine (now deceased) was an erudite guy, with an immense vocabulary. "Widdershins" was one of his very favourite words.
I have come across it a couple of times in Dorothy L Sayers’ books to do with it being bad luck to walk anti-clockwise around a churchyard.

Last edited:

Thank you to everyone who took part. I am pleased to announce that @Gloster won having got 3 answers correct.

The floor is yours to ask the next question.

Gloster

Established Member
The following are all fictional series characters used by well-known authors; all have appeared in at least three books by the author. All are detectives of one type or another (amateur, private or police), but no ranks or titles are given. The name of the author who created them, please.

1 - Albert Campion

2 - Gideon Fell

3 - Joseph French

4 - Roderick Alleyn

5 - Alan Grant

6 - Beatrice Bradley

7 - Sid Halley

8 - Maud Silver

9 - Gervase Fen

10 - John Thorndyke

Calthrop

Established Member
9: Gervase Fen -- Edmund Crispin. (Boast boast -- my tutor at university was reputed to be the factual person on whom Gervase F. was modelled.)

Gloster

Established Member
A couple of clues to the two remains questions:

3) The author spent a considerable number of years as a railway engineer in the north of Ireland.

10) The author, like his character, was a doctor and is credited with having invented the inverted detective story and - arguably - popularising the medico-legal detective story.

Calthrop

Established Member
A couple of clues to the two remains questions:

3) The author spent a considerable number of years as a railway engineer in the north of Ireland.
Drat it ! I had -- long ago -- heard of the chap; and at least dipped into a railway-setting story of his, set during World War II -- but have no idea now, of his name.

Gloster

Established Member
Okay, he must be No. 3 then .... ?

I'm sure that I know No. 10, now ... but can I remember his name ... no! As Corporal jones might (not) have said: "Permission to cheat, Sir?".
Indeed. No 3 was Freeman Wills Crofts, who worked for nearly thirty years for the Belfast & Northern Counties and LMS Northern Counties Committee.

It is probably getting about time to cheat. 444045 must be waiting to set the next challenge.

Thank you,

Could you please say who had these one hit wonders with the following songs :

1/ Video killed the Radio star.

2/ Break my Stride.

3/ Lets hear it for the boy.

4/ I've never been to me.

5/ The Safety Dance.

6/ If.

7/ Every Loser Wins.

8/ Japanese Boy.

9/ Marys Prayer.

10/ Feels like Heaven.

11/ St Elmos Fire.

12/ Funky Town.

13/ Dolce Vita.

14/ She's like the wind.

15/ Camouflage.

SteveM70

Established Member
4 Charlene

9 Danny Wilson (though They had a second top 40 hit a couple of years later, the really quite nice The Second Summer Of Love)

10 John Parr

11 Fiction Factory

15 Stan Ridgway

Edit - I’ve managed to transpose 10 and 11

Last edited: