• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

SteveM70

Established Member
A quick update on the last round of answers....

Blackpool is correct, so a point to @LSWR Cavalier

@Mcr Warrior just beat @Gloster to Charlton

So, one left. It’s a pretty unlikely one too, in my little brain at least, so a couple of clues:

- they finished runner up in one of the seasons during the great war

- as far as I can tell the only things they’ve ever won as a league club (and that’s not meant as an additional clue, like a lot of teams they won stuff beforehand) are one second tier championship and two third tier championships

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SteveM70

Established Member
Lots of grounds fit that description %)
Somewhere high up? Barnsley? Doncaster? Halifax?

Lovely as the thought is of runners up in division one, Halifax have never played above tier 3. Barno had one season in the top flight, and they weren’t very good (but Dickie Bird cried and Michael Parkinson was pleased). Don’t think Donny have been higher than tier 2

It must be Oldham then !

Indeed it must. God it’s cold up there!

I make @LSWR Cavalier the winner, so the premier league trophy and the next question are his

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Vielen Dank

I was brought up on Dad's Army and Colditz on the telly.

Who wrote the following books about their time at the Colditz Escape University?
They have their exits
Colditz the German Story
The Colditz Story
The latter days at Colditz

What purpose does the castle serve now?

What was manufactured at Colditz?

What non-violent crime/offence did 'Dr Dr Clemens Bartholdy' commit in the 1990s at Zschadrass very near Colditz?

Gloster

Established Member
Vielen Dank

I was brought up on Dad's Army and Colditz on the telly.

Who wrote the following books about their time at the Colditz Escape University?
They have their exits
Colditz the German Story
The Colditz Story
The latter days at Colditz

What purpose does the castle serve now?

What was manufactured at Colditz?

What non-violent crime/offence did 'Dr Dr Clemens Bartholdy' commit in the 1990s at Zschadrass very near Colditz?
The first book was Airey Neave, the last two Pat Ried (I hope the spellings are correct). Was the other somebody Eggers?

Isn’t it a museum now?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
The first book was Airey Neave, the last two Pat Ried (I hope the spellings are correct). Was the other somebody Eggers?

Isn’t it a museum now?
3.5 points, P R Reid MBE, MC to be exact, Reinhold Eggers. It has been a museum but that is not its main function now.

@Calthrop it was a hospital/home, but that function moved to Zschadrass...

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Porcelain, or something similar?
Correct. Porcelain, and other types of crockery. The clue referred to Meissen where exquisite porcelain is still made.
Two questions still open: What is the castle used as now? For what was "Dr Dr Clemens Bartholdy" infamous?

Wasn't Dr. Dr. Clemens Bartholdy a name that a Postman dreamed up who wanted to become a Dr and managed to get papers
to allow him to practice as this person and did horrible experiments on people I think or I could have got him muddled up with someone else!

Gloster

Established Member
Something that most of us have had to deal with: the MoT test on a car.

When was the MoT test introduced?
When did it become compulsory?
When it was introduced, how old were the cars it applied to?
How much did it cost to get the certificate in your hand, presuming the car passed first time?

341o2

Established Member
1961 and 14/-
Flanders and Swann made the quip about testing before leaving the factory

Gloster

Established Member
Ah, yes, the fee for the certificate itself was one shilling
You are correct and that gives you the remaining quarter point.

The test was introduced on a voluntary basis in September 1960 and made compulsory in February 1961. Reportedly, although they had always intended to make the test compulsory eventually, the realisation of just how unroadworthy some vehicles were quickly made them bring the start of compulsory testing forward.

It is between martinsh and 341o2 to decide who sets the next test.

341o2

Established Member
Five years for a while before the current three year age limit introduced