• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Thank you to everybody who took park in the National Flags quiz, I can reveal that @Calthrop is the winner and invite them to ask the next question please.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Calthrop

Established Member
Thank you to everybody who took park in the National Flags quiz, I can reveal that @Calthrop is the winner and invite them to ask the next question please.

I'll decline, with thanks; please will folk do as appropriate in the circumstances.

(Purely as an oddity: it turns out that Bolivia, as well as Ecuador, features a condor on its flag -- and also a very small llama ! Curiosity led me to Google South-American-flags-wise, and thus put myself out of the running: finding Bolivia's condor first, I researched no further.)

MotCO

Established Member
1936 - the years in which there has been more than two monarchs in the UK

MotCO

Established Member
Thank you.

What comes next in the following series:

????

Would this be a football related question by any chance, with all the discussions going on at the moment,

Didnt the Football league start in 1888 and other clubs from different groups joined it possibly in 1892 and finally 1920

then it broke up again in 1992 with the introduction of the Premier League.

After all that long windedness - I say 1992 is the next date in the sequence.

MotCO

Established Member
Would this be a football related question by any chance, with all the discussions going on at the moment,

Didnt the Football league start in 1888 and other clubs from different groups joined it possibly in 1892 and finally 1920

then it broke up again in 1992 with the introduction of the Premier League.

After all that long windedness - I say 1992 is the next date in the sequence.

Yes it is football related. You are so close I have to give it to you.

1888 - First Division created
1892 - Second Division created
1920 - Third Division created

Then I was looking for 1958 when the Fourth Division was created.

Please take charge of the Super League (and sort it out!)

Thank you @MotCO - I think the Super League is breaking up already as we speak!

I haven't got any questions ready at the moment so OPEN FLOOR please.

Calthrop

Established Member
Two islands in the same group, in the nation of Greece: each featuring in well-known and much-liked works by two different authors (British, writing in English). These works are set in periods close together -- though not exactly coinciding -- in history. One is a novel, fiction "plain and simple"; the other is a trilogy of books, belonging in the non-fiction ballpark -- although it is generally reckoned re these, that the author "embroidered" things a little.

Please name the two islands; and the respective authors and books. For the trilogy, any one book of the three will be reckoned "qualifying"; though by all means give more than one title, if known.

millemille

Two islands in the same group, in the nation of Greece: each featuring in well-known and much-liked works by two different authors (British, writing in English). These works are set in periods close together -- though not exactly coinciding -- in history. One is a novel, fiction "plain and simple"; the other is a trilogy of books, belonging in the non-fiction ballpark -- although it is generally reckoned re these, that the author "embroidered" things a little.

Please name the two islands; and the respective authors and books. For the trilogy, any one book of the three will be reckoned "qualifying"; though by all means give more than one title, if known.
Corfu, Gerald Durrell, "My family and other animals"?

Is the other one Olivia Manning's "Fortunes of War" series? Never read the books but I vaguely remember watching the TV series with Kenneth Brannagh and his missus and I think maybe they ended up on one of the Greek Islands?

Calthrop

Established Member
Half right, with Corfu / Durrell / "MFaoA" (the first of the trilogy). The other, though, is not Olivia Manning.

Calthrop

Established Member
Do the two authors share the same surname by any chance?

No: I would say in fact, that in most respects they are as unlike each other as could be -- including a big gap in age, to the extent that one could be (biologically, just-about) the other's grandchild !

Gloster

Established Member
The only other writer that I can think of who has written about Greece is Victoria Hislop. I know no more than that, despite having haunted the bookshop since it reopened.

Calthrop

Established Member
The only other writer that I can think of who has written about Greece is Victoria Hislop. I know no more than that, despite having haunted the bookshop since it reopened.

It isn't Victoria Hislop -- I admit to not having heard of her before reading your post (have Googled accordingly).