• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Calthrop

Established Member
Antikythera? (I had to look up the spelling.)

Sorry, no -- good for ancient computer-thingies, but not for this quiz question; and not in the right part of Greece.

I had dismissed this as an answer as I thought it was too obvious!

Louis De Benerais (sp?) and I think it was Kefalonia?

Author and island, essentially correct (name of author -- De Bernieres -- looks French; but he's British).

@millemille: with you having furnished all parts, except originally name of the novel -- I adjudge you the winner, and setter of next question.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

millemille

Abseiling?
Back in the right arena but not the right answer.

The 3 people named took part in what is generally recognised as being the first ever organised, informally at the time, competition in this sport in 1976, held near San Francisco.

SteveM70

Established Member
Back in the right arena but not the right answer.

The 3 people named took part in what is generally recognised as being the first ever organised, informally at the time, competition in this sport in 1976, held near San Francisco.

San Francisco? Mountain biking?

millemille

San Francisco? Mountain biking?
Correct.

The seminal "Repack" race in Marin County, California. So named because the hub brakes they were using at the time would get so hot after a couple of runs that the grease would burn off and the bearings need repacking, which featured many names who went on to fame and fortune within the mountain bike world; Gary Fisher of "Fisher" mountain bikes, Mike Sinyard of "Specialized" bicycles, Tom Ritchey of "Ritchey" fame and many more.

Amazing to think that the sport has gone from nothing in the mid 80's to a worldwide, massively popular activity open to all in under 40 years.

Anyway, history lesson over. @SteveM70 back to you...

SteveM70

Established Member
There are 32 UK entries on UNESCO’s list of world heritage sites.

The first 6 of these were announced in 1986 (numbers 369 to 374 on the overall list). What are they?

SteveM70

Established Member
Stonehenge - yes (technically Stonehenge and Avebury and associated sites)

York - no

Bath - yes no [EDIT - I mistakenly said this was right; it isn’t - Bath was in the next batch in 1987]

Stratford - no

TheEdge

Established Member
Stonehenge
Ironbridge Gorge
Canterbury Cathedral
Windsor Castle
Palace of Westminster
Buckingham Palace

MotCO

Established Member
Holy Island?
Runnymede (Magna Carta)?
Durham Cathedral?
Arthur's Seat, Edinburgh?
Ironbridge?
Hereford Cathedral (Muppa Mundi)

perryman

There’s an old working mill at/near Bingley. Can’t remember its name, probably Bingley Mill...

SteveM70

Established Member
St Pauls Cathedral ?

Westminster Abbey ?

The New Forest ?
None of those

Derwent Valley Mills
Nope

Stonehenge
Ironbridge Gorge
Canterbury Cathedral
Windsor Castle
Palace of Westminster
Buckingham Palace
Stonehenge is right but had already been got
Ironbridge is correct
Holy Island?
Runnymede (Magna Carta)?
Durham Cathedral?
Arthur's Seat, Edinburgh?
Ironbridge?
Hereford Cathedral (Muppa Mundi)
Ironbridge is correct but had already been got. Durham cathedral and castle is right
Tower of London?
Dartmoor? (The moor itself, not the nick.)
The Great Glen?
Chesil Beach?
None of those

There’s an old working mill at/near Bingley. Can’t remember its name, probably Bingley Mill...
No

Saltaire? York Minster? Canterbury Cathedral?

Bowes Castle in Barnard Castle? Harlech Castle? Tower of London?
A point for Harlech - technically it’s the Castles and town walls of King Edward in Gwynedd

Overall that’s 4 correct and 2 still to get