• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
(2) The Irish singer / songwriter / comedian Percy French's most famous song, is probably Are Ye Right There, Michael? -- taking the mickey out of the shortcomings of the West Clare Railway. Please name another song of some note, by him.
The Mountains of Mourne
(5) Whereabouts in Ireland, are the Marble Arch Caves?
Kilkenny?

Calthrop

Established Member
Ah yes....silly me! I was thinking of the Marble City, which is the nickname for Kilkenny. The Marble Arch caves are in Enniskillen, Co. Fermanagh.

'Tis nitpicking I am now -- the Caves are not actually in Enniskillen, but in a remote rural location some 8 or 9 miles south-west of that town; however, answer accepted !

So we now have two contestants each scoring two questions -- @D6130 and @LSWR Cavalier (@perryman just got in first re question 3). @D6130 and @LSWR Cavalier: would the traditional tie-breaker bit, be acceptable to you: one more question to do with Ireland, just for you two; the first of you to answer it, takes the floor?

D6130

Established Member
'Tis nitpicking I am now -- the Caves are not actually in Enniskillen, but in a remote rural location some 8 or 9 miles south-west of that town; however, answer accepted !

So we now have two contestants each scoring two questions -- @D6130 and @LSWR Cavalier (@perryman just got in first re question 3). @D6130 and @LSWR Cavalier: would the traditional tie-breaker bit, be acceptable to you: one more question to do with Ireland, just for you two; the first of you to answer it, takes the floor?
I would be happy to have a go at answering the tie-breaker question but, as I am quite busy preparing to leave for Italy in a couple of days' time, I'm very happy to let @LSWR Cavalier take the floor.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Very good, an easy question: please name as many of the counties on the Island of Ireland as you can remember. Extra points for attribution of counties to the provinces: Ulster, Munster, Leicester and Connaught.

Calthrop

Established Member
I'll sit this one out -- being the highly-modest fellow that I am :E, and reckoning that I could without difficulty score 100% on this question. (There's an Irish rebel song which -- political stuff quite aside -- ingeniously and succinctly lists all the island's counties, and classifies them by province: a verse per province -- verse 2 is particularly cleverly wrought).

MotCO

Established Member
Limerick
Cork
Antrim
Derry/Londonderry
Donegal
Clare

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
Just "for information" -- and at the risk of being obnoxious -- hasn't one failed to feature, viz. Westmeath?

MotCO

Established Member
I have no idea so I will say 105 miles (and am probably hopelessly out!)

Gloster

Established Member