• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

perryman

One of my friends is very old school Wimbledon and has told me enough times that one player scored all 4 goals for them. I have no idea of his name but I know they beat Sutton 4-2 (at Wembley, I think).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Loppylugs

That's it @perryman. I'm very old school Wimbledon too! Wimbledon's centre forward was a Northern Irishman called Eddie Reynolds and he headed all four goals at Wembley.

The turnstiles are open to you.

perryman

That's it @perryman. I'm very old school Wimbledon too! Wimbledon's centre forward was a Northern Irishman called Eddie Reynolds and he headed all four goals at Wembley.

The turnstiles are open to you.
Thank you. I don't think my friend ever mentioned the headed fact, although I may have long moved on, with (a degree of) respect...

Which country (official UN Sovereign State) has the uniquely official named prefix 'The Oriental Republic of...'?

Calthrop

Established Member
Thanks. I had the "Oriental" tag in my bonce; but didn't know why the country had it -- grateful for the explanation !

Which biological group or class of creature -- such as bird, arthropod, fish, or whatever -- do the following, belong to? Identification with the respective correct term for each, will score a point; but "virtual bonus marks" for any extra info which participants may fancy giving.

(1) fody

(2) peckoltia

(3) tarantula hawk

(4) axolotl

(5) murrelet

(6) phascogale

Calthrop

Established Member
A tarantula hawk is an insect isn’t it?

Correct: an extremely nasty one -- a kind of wasp whose larva grows up inside, and devours alive, a tarantula spider; and if a t.h. stings a human, it's agonisingly painful.

Calthrop

Established Member
A hint or two (maybe); re the four remaining -- none of them belong to either group / class which pertain to the two which have been "got". Of the remaining four: two fly; one lives in water; and one belongs to an unusual, and overall not numerous, variety of its group / class.

Calthrop

Established Member
I think that (5) Murrelet is a type of Auk therefore bird.

Fully correct: there are some half-dozen species of murrelet, all found in the North Pacific region. One species is called the "Ancient Murrelet": very irregularly and unusually, one solitary specimen thereof turned up and sojourned for a couple of years in the 1990s, around Lundy Island in the Bristol Channel; to the delight of the birdwatchers who were lucky enough to encounter it.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Feel like I've just stumbled across a more obscure episode of QI, or a re-run of some BBC Radio 4 panel show from 30+ years ago. :rolleyes:

Calthrop

Established Member
If it's any consolation -- I'm every bit as much at sea, on all and any questions about sport or music !

Calthrop

Established Member
(1) fody - a bird?

Correct -- rather thrush-like bird, only brightly coloured: a number of species, found on the Indian Ocean's various islands.

(2) peckoltia - a fish?

Correct -- a type of South American catfish, much liked by aquarists.

(6) phascogale - a bird?

Alas, no. It's in a group / class which hasn't yet come up; that should do a bit of narrowing-down.

Calthrop

Established Member
6 Phascogale - Mammals?

Correct. A genus of small carnivorous Australian (thus marsupial -- hence the "unusual variety of" bit) mammal: comes in three different species.

@MotCO: you've got three right -- three others, got one apiece. @MotCO thus succeeds to the zookeeper's post.

MotCO

Established Member
Correct. A genus of small carnivorous Australian (thus marsupial -- hence the "unusual variety of" bit) mammal: comes in three different species.

@MotCO: you've got three right -- three others, got one apiece. @MotCO thus succeeds to the zookeeper's post.

Thank you. Three complete guesses :lol:.

Now a bit of a cryptic question. What connects 4 in English, 5 in Spanish, 4 in German, 2 and 4 in Norwegian, and 3 in Italian?

MotCO

Established Member
I'll take a guess that they contain the same number of letters as the number they represent.

That didn't take long!.

The words respectively are FOUR, CINCO, VIER, TO and FIRE, and TRE.

Please don the teacher's mortar board!