• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Caboose Class

On the bonnet of a Roller (a Rolls Royce motor car). She was the model chosen for the "flying lady" mascot on the bonnet.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MotCO

Established Member
On the bonnet of a Roller (a Rolls Royce motor car). She was the model chosen for the "flying lady" mascot on the bonnet.

Correct. She was modelled on the Baron Montagu of Beaulieu's secretary. Please assume the driving seat (unless you have a chauffeur!).

Caboose Class

OK, we'll kick off with a double header:-

Where in the world can you ride on a double-decker tram for some 50 stops (ca. 10 miles)?
And where in the world can you ride on a trolleybus for some 60 stops (ca. 50 miles)?

Calthrop

Established Member
I believe --

the tram: Hong Kong

the trolleybus: Simferopol to Yalta, in the Crimea -- the world's longest trolleybus route

Calthrop

Established Member
Thank you !

In which -- fiction -- "tales of derring-do" (all written in, broadly, the past century-and-a-half) do the following characters feature; and who are the respective authors?

(In most cases, the character appears in more than one novel by the author. Naming just one relevant novel by the author -- and identifying the author -- will count as a correct answer; additional information welcome, but not "qualificatory".)

(1) Captain Good

(2) Alleyne Edricson

(3) Preserved Killick

(4) Salvation Yeo

(5) Pieter Pienaar

Caboose Class

Being somewhat of an avid reader myself, methinks the following:-

1) King Solomon’s Mines - H. Rider Haggard
2) The White Company - Arthur Conan Doyle
3) The Far Side of the World - Patrick O’Brian
4) Westward Ho! – Charles Kingsley
5) Greenmantle - John Buchan

Calthrop

Established Member
Being somewhat of an avid reader myself, methinks the following:-

1) King Solomon’s Mines - H. Rider Haggard
2) The White Company - Arthur Conan Doyle
3) The Far Side of the World - Patrick O’Brian
4) Westward Ho! – Charles Kingsley
5) Greenmantle - John Buchan

You've got the lot, most comprehensively; @Gloster previously got (5). (Patrick O'Brian's novels of the Royal Navy in the Napoleonic Wars, are of course a long series, of which TFSotW is one of many: Preserved Killick, Captain Aubrey's surly but devoted sailor-servant, features in effectively all of them.)

@Caboose Class: the next is yours to set -- swashbuckle away !

Caboose Class

What connects Stanford with Chester, Newton with a chapel and Bolton with oxen? It’s a sort of French Connection!

Caboose Class

They all have "le" in the place name?

Stanford-le-hope, Chester-le-street, Newton-le-willows, Chapel-en-le-frith etc...
Avec certitude - félicitations!
Also not forgetting Oxen-le-Fields which is a tiny hamlet near Darlington.

À vous monsieur.....

AndyPJG

Toyota Corolla is the most produced car, I'd guess the Super Cub could be the most motorcycles built, and the Cessna 172 is a common plane so the largest number of a plane built?

AndyPJG

Thank you, not having a good question to hand, so an easy one.

Who was the last Prime Minister not to have a wife?

Gloster

Established Member
Or you could argue that it was the present incumbent, who had a period in No. 10 between divorce number two and wedding number three.

perryman

Correct, semi-trick (pub-quiz) question.

Downing Street is yours.
Thank you. One could have also thrown in Hugh Grant, of course.

So, if I may.

Going through my (digital) record collection, I have 10 tunes with only 3 characters in the title, be it alpha only or numeric only (no alpha/numeric combination). I give you the year and position the tune charted (UK), and any relevant note(s). The ‘individual/group’ refers to the name given to the artist for the tune and I've taken the liberty of giving them 'famous/obsscure' etc status, though this is of course subjective to a degree. The first two tunes are numeric only, the rest alpha only. Can you give me the song title & artist and then marry that up with that year/chart position. Some further clues may be needed along the way but let's cross that bridge when and if we reach it.

1. Year 1965, charted position 3 in the UK. Dashes omitted from the song title. Solo artist, obscure. Len Barry, 1-2-3, answered by Caboose Class
2. 1967, 14. Group, famous, but known as the solo artist + the group (e.g. 'Gerry & The Pacemakers').
3. 1970, 3. Solo artist, well-known. Edwin Starr, War, answered by 444045
4. 1970, 8. Group, very famous. Jackson 5, ABC, answered by MotCO
5. 1975, 6. Group, very famous. Abba, SOS, answered by 444045
6. 1975, 6. Solo artist, very obscure. Quirky and difficult, this one.
7. 1982, 9. Group, very famous. Duran Duran, Rio, answered by 444045
8. 1983, 24. Group, obscure. The hardest to get, imo. Impress me.
9. 1985. Group, very famous. Not released as a single but from a double-platinum album.
10. 1999. Solo artist, very famous. Again, not released as a single but from a platinum movie soundtrack album. This is a cover version, with the original reaching position 1 in 1974 for a solo artist.

Last edited:

perryman

I would guess that one is the Jackson Five with ABC. I will guess 5.
The band/song is correct but not the year/position.

Just to clarify for later, a point is given per correct match up (band/song and year/position).