• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Hello All, we have a new quiz from Heinz57 for you all :smile::

This is a General Knowledge quiz about anything and everything. The rules are simple: the person with the correct answer to the preceding question will post the next, and so on.... And remember, no Googling - that would be cheating!

The Quizmasters would also like people to make sure that questions are sensible and have a simple answer - so an answer like Italy or carrots or Mt Everest might be good, but a question like "What is the GDP of Egypt?" can only lead to headaches.

If a question is answered correctly and accepted by the question setter, but then no new question is set within one day (twenty-four hours) by the successful contestant, on expiry of this period, the floor will open for any member to set a new question.

So, here's the first question from Heinz57...

In 1803, what did the USA purchase from France for $11,250,000?

Over to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Wikipedia says that that's correct.

Do you have a new question?

dzug2

Wikipedia says that that's correct.

Do you have a new question?
Yes - give me a few minutes
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
There's a recent book called the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time

The title is rather older though - what is the origin?

Last edited:

Seacook

Yes - give me a few minutes
There's a recent book called the Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time

The title is rather older though - what is the origin?

It's from the Sherlock Holmes short story "Silver Blaze". The curious incident was that the dog did nothing, indicating that the perpetrator was familiar.

-----------------------------------------------

What is a struldbrug, and who invented the term?

Last edited:

Heinz57

Louisana?

Sorry yeah, it was Louisiana. Well done!

The Louisiana purchase took place in 1803 when the US purchased the Louisiana terratory, which consisted at the time of around 15 of the present day states.
What is a struldbrug, and who invented the term?

Ahh yes. They're from Gulliver's Travels arn't they? Which was written by Jonathan Swift.

Open floor

Crossover

Established Member
I'll grab the open floor.

Where can you find Stott Hall Farm and why is it well known?

Crossover

Established Member
It's in the middle of the M62 somehere oop north

Stott Hall Farm is between J22 and J23 of the M62 and bypassed either side by the eastbound and westbound carriageways of the motorway

Correct - it is the farmhouse in the middle of the M62 between J22 and J23 - well known because it is in the middle of the M62 :P

clagmonster

Established Member
Ah yes. I think the story is that the owner refused to sell up, and somehow there wasn't a compulsory purchase order (he somehow manged to win a case in order to prevent the builders getting one).

Johnuk123

Established Member
Ah yes. I think the story is that the owner refused to sell up, and somehow there wasn't a compulsory purchase order (he somehow manged to win a case in order to prevent the builders getting one).

The story about the owner of Stott Hall Farm (Ken Wild) refusing to move is a myth.

When the motorway was built it was impossible for geological reasons to put both carriageways side by side so they split them.

clagmonster

Established Member
Do I lose 10 QI points for that then. I did wonder how somebody would manage to overcome a compulsary purchase order.

Heinz57

The story about the owner of Stott Hall Farm (Ken Wild) refusing to move is a myth.

When the motorway was built it was impossible for geological reasons to put both carriageways side by side so they split them.

Ahh is that what Scott Hall Farm is? I've heard about the house, and seen it. But I didn't know thats what it was.

Imagine if the owner decided to move house. Selling it should be interesting :lol:

Whos got the floor by the way?

dzug2

Either me or EM2 - I posted first but he gave a fuller answer

If it's me then open floor

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Sorry, chaps. Work got in the way :)
OK...

Why is the distance for the marathon now set at 26 miles 385 yards?

The 1908 Olympic Games were, as now, held in London and reports at the time stated that the British royal family wanted the length of the race to be extended, in order that the marathon race could finish directly in front of the viewing box that was used by the royal family. It is said that the new distance would be retained for all future Olympic Games after that.

Crossover

Established Member

Indeed it is...as I have seen somewhere, a compulsary purchase order is just that...compulsary.
Imagine if the owner decided to move house. Selling it should be interesting :lol:

"Period farmhouse with stunning views of the Pennines and set right in the very heart of the M62, offering stunning views of this too" :lol:

EM2

Established Member
Paul is pretty much right.
It is the distance from Windsor Castle to the Royal Box at White City Stadium. There was however still some heated debate before it was officially adopted as the standard distance.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
If that last answer of mine seems approved....

What was the eventual reform of the British postal system that commenced in 1837 finally saw a new method of pre-payment for the service, rather than the pre-existing system of payment on delivery, that was introduced on 1st May 1840 ?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Okay how about this:

Something topical, whilst Michael Phelps has the most Olympic medals of any athlete in the history of the games, what is the name of the most decorated female athlete?

Could be a bit tricky this one so I'm happy to provide clues if needed (I've probably jinxed it by saying that :lol:).

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Being born in 1945 gives me somewhat of an advantage here, but the person that I remember from my early teens was a female USSR gymnast. However, all I can remember was that her first name was Larisa and when she retired as a competitor, she became one of their national coaches.

However, I cannot name her surname nor the total number of medals that she eventually amassed.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I'm going to give it to you as you have the first name, nationality and sport, so as far as I'm concerned that's close enough. But, for the sake of completeness her name was Larisa Latynina and she won 18 medals in her Olympic career.

Xenophon PCDGS

Veteran Member
Let us now go back in time some 1350 years or so and there was a meeting held in the North-East area of England that had reached a decision of final clarification over a method of time dating,

What was the name of the event and where was this held, what year was it and what was the decision reached.

clagmonster

Established Member
Would this be the Senate of Whitby, at which a decision was made regarding the date of Easter (it is something along the lines of the fourth Sunday after a certain full moon).