• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

A Challenge

Established Member
I'm a computer-idiot, and couldn't get the attachment to do its stuff, I'm afraid. On the basis of your 3 miles as above; and with the river's source being, if I understand rightly, a very little way north of Freshwater / Compton Bays; I'm inclined to consider my question river, a bit shorter -- but would be open to authoritative data to the contrary, if available.
What was your answer?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
@xotGD Thanks very much
I was just guessing, had a bit of luck. Huddersfield could yet be promoted and do the same a century later
Please name the authors of the following books:

Idle thoughts of an Idle fellow

I bought a star

Cycling is my life

Between the woods and the water

Margrave of the marshes

Barging into France

The secret footballer
They are all rather autobiographical

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
"Margrave of the Marshes" is John Peel's autobiography, finished after his death by his partner.

"Barging into France" is by a newsreader, I think, but I can't remember the name!

"Cycling is my Life" is by the cyclist who died on the Tour de France ... I think that his surname was Simpson?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
"Margrave of the Marshes" is John Peel's autobiography, finished after his death by his partner.

"Barging into France" is by a newsreader, I think, but I can't remember the name!

"Cycling is my Life" is by the cyclist who died on the Tour de France ... I think that his surname was Simpson?
Peel/Ravenscroft is correct

The author of BiF did lots of different things but I think he was not a newsreader. He barged into other places too

'Put me back on my Bike', said Tom Simpson after collapsing on Mont Ventoux in 1967,Cycling is my life is his autobiography
@martinsh, @Calthrop
Both correct

Last edited:

Calthrop

Established Member
What was your answer?

You'll maybe now think me even more dense; but I'm not fully sure of the meaning of your question. Envisaged answer to my question -- as got by @DerekC -- was the River Bain, by Wensleydale. Various info from @MotCO concerning the IOW's Western Yar, has satisfied me that it's about 3 miles long; thus longer than the 2.45 mile Bain.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member

Peel/Ravenscroft is correct

The author of BiF did lots of different things but I think he was not a newsreader. He barged into other places too

'Put me back on my Bike', said Tom Simpson after collapsing on Mont Ventoux in 1967,Cycling is my life is his autobiography

Thanks for the two confirmations.

There was a television series about the second one, starring (I think) Timothy West and Prunella Scales ... was the former the author of the book?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
I've just looked for "Barging into France" ... and I've never heard of the author!!
Very good, you are not cheating
The author of BIF had a lot to do with Wales, he involved Prince Charles in a 'crazy' project (not crazy at all in the end)
The author of 'I bought a Star' had a lot to do with Wales too

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
@Calthrop is very very close
Just checked my shelf: IBAM was written by a man..

I think he paid *three grand* for Dyffryn Mymbyr farm with land extending to the Glyder Ridge, plenty of sheep included (that is not a clue)

Calthrop

Established Member
@Calthrop is very very close
Just checked my shelf: IBAM was written by a man..

I think he paid *three grand* for Dyffryn Mymbyr farm with land extending to the Glyder Ridge, plenty of sheep included (that is not a clue)

Thanks -- pursuant to your above info, I've checked: I was a bit confused -- was thinking of another author's Snowdonia farm -- Ruth Janette Ruck, who wrote three books on her experience of that scene.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Very good, you are not cheating
The author of BIF had a lot to do with Wales, he involved Prince Charles in a 'crazy' project (not crazy at all in the end)
Yes, indeed he did ... at one stage I was quite familiar with the work of his project, but I didn't know that he had founded it.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
@EbbwJunction1
The author sought used his connections I think, things came together with a bit of luck, I guess he was a bit of a barger. Yet another place where Wales leads the world. He wrote an autobiography too
I bough a.., it was not Ruth Janette Ruck (Place of Stones), nor Elizabeth West (Hovel in the Hills)

Calthrop

Established Member
If I rightly understand the present situation, five of the total seven have been answered; we still need the authors of I Bought a Star and Barging Into France. In my resolving my confusion as mentioned above: I found by Google, the IBaS author. With my having got one of the "answered five": see self as ethically prohibited from -- to try to move things on a bit -- giving the IBaS bod's name !

(Re above -- I at first found myself unintentionally mis-typing "Barfing Into France" :E.)

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
Thomas Firbank wrote the book 'I bought a Star'.
Correct, now we just need the name of the author of "Barging into France". He wrote a series of "Barging into" books
Several clues above. The very important place (there is a sort of railway there!) he was involved with is not very far from the new Bow Street train station (BS is not the nearest station), soon it may have a narrow-gauge station

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
@Peter Mugridge
No, not L T C (Tom) Wright

Another clue: the important place (a tourist attraction among other things) that the author was involved with should soon have its own train service, 2'3" gauge, with steam trains to a mainline station
The author was one of those admirable slightly unorthodox people, a bit like Richard Booth, the King of Hay

Last edited: