• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Established Member
Still got that question ready?

Seven years?! Can you imagine how trashed some vehicles would have been by then?
Correct. The limit was reduced to seven years at the end of 1961 and to three in 1967. (And, no, I would rather not imagine what state some vehicles were in.)

So, which of martinsh and 341o2 will be setting the next test?

341o2

Established Member
As I got the answer wrong, I don't think I should assume the floor is mine.

Back in the 60's traffic was much lighter, travelled more slowly, and the motorway network was quite restricted.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
The answer (having checked with Mr W Pedia) is the Doctor's brother, Dr E M Grace.

A descendant of one of those children (also an E M Grace) is the Head Groundsman at Newport Cricket Club.

I don't have anything at the moment, so the wicket is available for anyone who wishes to play.

MotCO

Established Member
I would have said The Oval, close to Vauxhall Station. No idea about the drink.

Is it Buxton, rail fans see Freight trains from Peak Forest etc and of course Buxton Water to drink ?

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
No correct answers yet, but @444045 & @martinsh are hovering quite near correct answers. Another clue: the drink has no special association with cricket. Another clue, the place is a village, has one standard-gauge train station, the place is not the Minor County Town.

Last edited:

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
I've remembered that the place is Colwall, as in 1926 the Women's Cricket Association was founded there; a Women's Cricket Week is held there every year.

I was struggling for the drink, but I'm reminded by Mr W Pedia that it's Malvern Spring Water, beloved of HM the Queen. Mr Portillo went there in one of his programmes in 2015 (ish).

Although I've been to the cricket club - it's very nice - I haven't seen the spring from which the water flows.

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
@EbbwJunction1 2/3 right, very good
'Malvern water, says Doctor Wall, cures just anything at all'
'Malvern water, says Doctor Wall, contains just nothing at all': take your pick.

Just need to know why Colwall is very interesting for railway enthusiasts. Especially for children.

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thanks ... Mr Pedia tells me that "The world's oldest (private) miniature railway is the Downs Light Railway, located on the Downs school estate.". I've never heard of it, but is this the answer?

EbbwJunction1

Established Member
Thanks; I ought to know that ... !

A Sri Lankan has just hit six sixes in one over, albeit against some rather interesting bowling. There is one thing in common for three of the nine players who have done this - what is it?