• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

General Knowledge Quiz

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Three cricket ground venues to find then - where in the world are please :

4/ National Stadium.

5/ Seddon Park.

6/ Centurion Park.

SteveM70

Established Member
Seddon Park is in Hamilton, New Zealand

I thought Centurion was in Centurion, although the name of the town/city may have changed over time??

SteveM70

Established Member
It is but Centurion is part of the Pretoria conurbation. Like Kennington Oval is in Kennington but also in London.

Ah right. Commentators always seem to refer to the test match or whatever being “at Centurion” rather than “at Centurion park” which made me think it was also the place name, but then it seemed a coincidence that the ground would be in a place that shared its name with a cricketing term. I think the ground has a naming rights deal too, I’m sure it’s referred to as Supersport Park

Seddon Park is in Hamilton, New Zealand

I thought Centurion was in Centurion, although the name of the town/city may have changed over time??
You are correct with both answers and yes Centurion Park is also known as Supersport Park with naming rights.

Only 1 cricket ground left to get know :

4/ National Stadium

I will give it another 24hrs then reveal the answer and winner of the quiz if no-one gets it.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Reckon that the "National Stadium" is somewhere on the sub-continent, so, if a country is sufficient, let's go with Pakistan.

Thats all the answers in now, thank you to everyone who took part, the winner of the quiz is @perryman who I invite to
ask the question please.

perryman

Thank you.

I currently have no decent question to post so let's have an open floor, please.

Calthrop

Established Member
Ringing the changes a bit, subject-wise -- the following are names in part, of assorted dishes (the food kind) of some note: named after various personages, "known or unknown". The personal names are given; please furnish the other part of dish's name -- plus if appropriate, very briefly describing the dish.

Renoir

Veronique

Rossini

Anna

Arnold Bennett

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Last one is quite possibly "Eggs Arnold Bennett", never tried this, but if I correctly recall, is a mainly egg-based dish, maybe tasting something like an omelette! ;)

Calthrop

Established Member
Last one is quite possibly "Eggs Arnold Bennett", never tried this, but if I correctly recall, is a mainly egg-based dish, maybe tasting something like an omelette! ;)

Omelette Arnold Bennett -- quite right -- featuring smoked haddock and gruyere cheese; created by a chef at the Savoy Hotel, of which old Arnold was a great habitue. One down, four to go !

Calthrop

Established Member
Steak Rossini

I'd been thinking of the more-of-a-"byword" title, Tournedos Rossini; but "tournedos" is a steak variation -- will say, "correct".

Sauce Veronique

Again, I'd been thinking something else: Sole Veronique; but learn from Google, that "Sauce Veronique" is a valid culinary thing in its own right -- the sauce which goes with the sole dish, and also with a chicken ditto. So: correct.

Anna Pavlova - a meringue dish

I'm going to be a bit mean here: Pavlova the icy-cold meringue pudding is, I believe, called just "Pavlova", without the lady's first name; and the "Anna" one which I'm thinking of, is rather radically different. So, "thumbs down" on this one -- sorry !

Calthrop

Established Member
In the nature of this stuff, hints are not very easy to think of: tends to be, you know it or you don't; or seek ways of looking-up, if possible (people are welcome to do that, by me).

Of the remaining two -- Renoir, and Anna -- the foodstuff which one is "about", is from the animal kingdom; re the other, it's from the vegetable ditto.

341o2

Established Member
Renoir is his wife Aline and her sauteed chicken recepie - she was a keen cook.
Anna refers to a root vegetable dish consisting of potato, celery root and turnip

Calthrop

Established Member
Renoir is his wife Aline and her sauteed chicken recepie - she was a keen cook.

Absolutely right !

Anna refers to a root vegetable dish consisting of potato, celery root and turnip

I'd been thinking of Pommes [de Terre] Anna; which in my understanding, involves just potatoes, butter, and seasoning; but I make no claim to encyclopedic "foodie" knowledge. At all events, potatoes play a central part "Anna"-wise; so, you score "correct".

@MotCO and @341o2: you both essentially got two answers, both featuring "grey areas" in some degree. Might I ask you to decide between yourselves, who sets the next question? (Thoughts can't help coming to mind, of "Masterchef" and "go on to the final, or go home" :smile: ...)

MotCO

Established Member
Absolutely right !

I'd been thinking of Pommes [de Terre] Anna; which in my understanding, involves just potatoes, butter, and seasoning; but I make no claim to encyclopedic "foodie" knowledge. At all events, potatoes play a central part "Anna"-wise; so, you score "correct".

@MotCO and @341o2: you both essentially got two answers, both featuring "grey areas" in some degree. Might I ask you to decide between yourselves, who sets the next question? (Thoughts can't help coming to mind, of "Masterchef" and "go on to the final, or go home" :smile: ...)
Thanks.

@341o2 - I've got a question in mind, but am equally happy for you to take the floor.