• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Geolocalisation de trains SNCF

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteb

This website allows you to do a map search to see which trains are running on SNCF at any given moment. Once the train is clicked the route is shown on the map. All very interesting, but tonight intercities de nuit 5792 Briancon dep 2003 to Paris Austerlitz is routed on the map to run on the LGV all the way from near Crest to Paris, i.e. via Lyon St Expury etc. Is this right? I thought the LGV is shut at night but why would the app show this route?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

biko

peteb

Sorry I didnt post link. Thanks @StephenHunter for doing so. I will check this train again tonight to see if routing is the same then follow it until it gets to the LGV and see if it really does take that route!

Sorry I didnt post link. Thanks @StephenHunter for doing so. I will check this train again tonight to see if routing is the same then follow it until it gets to the LGV and see if it really does take that route!
As it's based on GPS I guess locations are accurate!

Apologies again thanks to Peter Kelford for posting the link.......

Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The map also shows SNCF trains outside France, including Thalys and Eurostar.
None visible in England at the moment, but there's a London-Amsterdam service at Lille.

Note: Eurostar does not seem to be shown west of the interface with Eurotunnel at Coquelles.

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member

Apologies again thanks to Peter Kelford for posting the link.......
Yes, it was accurate at least a few years ago when a friend of mine, unfamiliar with french train travel, asked for my advice. It was during strike disruption so I used it to monitor his progress on the day in case he needed 'live' advice eg I could see his connecting train was behind his delayed service so every prospect of making the connection for example. On several occasions I pointed out to him he would soon be able to see such and such a landmark on the eastern or west side of the train and he texted back to say he was indeed at that precise location at the time of my text message!

dazzler

I will check this train again tonight to see if routing is the same then follow it until it gets to the LGV and see if it really does take that route!

It definitely didn't go that way in 2017 when I last used it, the train ran through Valence, Lyon Part Dieu and Dijon on the original PLM main line. In 2017, it also joined onto/separated from a portion from/to Nice Ville. It may well be a glitch in the algorithm, as there is no booked public call between Crest and Paris Austerlitz.

Veteran Member
It definitely didn't go that way in 2017 when I last used it, the train ran through Valence, Lyon Part Dieu and Dijon on the original PLM main line. In 2017, it also joined onto/separated from a portion from/to Nice Ville. It may well be a glitch in the algorithm, as there is no booked public call between Crest and Paris Austerlitz.
I very much doubt the service has stock equipped for the LGV - as dazzler says, it is advertised non-stop between Paris (Austerlitz) and Crest, which I suspect leads to the error on the map. (It has an engine change, presumably at Valence.) Googlemaps gives it an even more improbable the same route complete with 3 reversals, one of which involves routing the train through the LGV maintenance yard near Crest!

Last edited:

dazzler

I very much doubt the service has stock equipped for the LGV - as dazzler says, it is advertised non-stop between Paris (Austerlitz) and Crest, which I suspect leads to the error on the map. (It has an engine change, presumably at Valence.) Googlemaps gives it an even more improbable route with 3 reversals!

Yes, when I used it we had a BB26000 electric Paris-Valence and a pair of BB75000 diesels up the branch (and vice-versa on the return).
20170618_181518.jpg

Photo shows the Intercité Nuit departure at 20:29 from Briançon to Paris Austerlitz on 18th June 2017. One of the class BB75000 diesel locos is just visible at the far end of the platform.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Glad to hear this train is still running. Had a nice trip on it a few years ago now. Not so many couchette trains exist now.

peteb

I very much doubt the service has stock equipped for the LGV - as dazzler says, it is advertised non-stop between Paris (Austerlitz) and Crest, which I suspect leads to the error on the map. (It has an engine change, presumably at Valence.) Googlemaps gives it an even more improbable the same route complete with 3 reversals, one of which involves routing the train through the LGV maintenance yard near Crest!
Yes and another weird reversal near Paris. I shall take another look later tonight to see where it really is and if the route magically changes to the PLM route near Valence!!

Yes and another weird reversal near Paris. I shall take another look later tonight to see where it really is and if the route magically changes to the PLM route near Valence!!
Must be a glitch in the software as the route shown for the corresponding Paris to Briancon is also highlighted along the LGV but the GPS shows the train approaching Montbard on the old PLM heading towards Dijon.

Last edited:

peteb

The Paris Briancon 5789 is taking a detour tonight off the PLM, currently heading towards Amberieu. If anyone is staying up late I'd be interested to know where it goes next: via Lyon to Valence or via Aix and Grenoble to Valence? Interesting to see that at 0125am French time the only passenger trains shown active on the national map are the four sleepers.

The Paris Briancon 5789 is taking a detour tonight off the PLM, currently heading towards Amberieu. If anyone is staying up late I'd be interested to know where it goes next: via Lyon to Valence or via Aix and Grenoble to Valence? Interesting to see that at 0125am French time the only passenger trains shown active on the national map are the four sleepers.
The northbound equivalent Brianvon sleeper is currently just south of Lyon again diverted onto the left bank goods line, not on the PLM. It seems these sleepers cover some interesting track, sadly all in the dark!

Last edited:

jamesontheroad

Established Member
The Paris Briancon 5789 is taking a detour tonight off the PLM, currently heading towards Amberieu. If anyone is staying up late I'd be interested to know where it goes next: via Lyon to Valence or via Aix and Grenoble to Valence?

As of 04:15CET, #5789 is just south of Valence on the classic line.

Glad my insomnia is useful for someone.

Screenshot 2020-09-23 at 04.15.57.png

peteb

As of 04:15CET, #5789 is just south of Valence on the classic line.

Glad my insomnia is useful for someone.

View attachment 83825
Many thanks. This illustrates the supposed route in blue whilst the real location of the train is shown. Usually the route info is quite accurate, but with a long distance no booked stops train such as the sleeper the website seems to default to the shortest route between the last pick up and the Paris terminus or vice versa.

Status
Not open for further replies.