• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting people back on trains as lockdown eases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Killingworth

Established Member
A YouGov poll for the London Evening Standard today suggests 53% of Londoners are concerned about using the tube. 48% are concerned about buses and 42% about trains.

I know there is some skepticism about these polls though. It may be that those concerned about using public transport did not use them much pre covid anyway.
If you ask a crossection of the population you'll pick up regular public transport users, occasional users and those who'd never use a bus or train. The tube scared many people before Covid!

However there certainly is a large body of people who are now terrified of close contacts, even walking into the path of road users to avoid passing other walkers. Some are still very nervous about leaving home.

I wear a mask on trains and in shops but know some who feel genuinely afraid if they meet people without them. They'll avoid trains for a long time in case they meet just one unmasked fellow traveller. But how many of them were frequent public transport users anyway?

_toommm_

Established Member
As lockdown is easing, can anyone tell me if leisure travel between England and Wales, and leisure travel in Wales for an Englishman, is permitted please?

Failed Unit

Established Member
Cheers - trawling through the guidance on the Wales website is a bit of a pain.
It was back in the April changes, as if I recall Wales opens up some services before England. (haircuts spring to mind.). Wales were appealing for people not to cross the boarder for a haircut.
It must be a total pain in the rear to boarder villages have to remember 2 countries restrictions. I expect there are many that live in England and their nearest big town is in wales / Scotland and vice Versa.

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Perhaps they only select those people that are scared of their own shadow. You would think Londoners in particular would just get on with things.
Yep, I was out on the South Bank near Waterloo yesterday afternoon/evening and it felt pretty normal to me.

Jamiescott1

Just heard a radio advert saying something along the lines of
"Been a while since you've been on a train? We've spent the past year transporting key workers so you're safe with us"

trebor79

Established Member
I wonder if masks were made optional, it would cause a social split. For example, playing loud music and talking loudly on your phone in a busy carriage is frowned upon, but generally not illegal.

Would NOT wearing a mask be frowned upon and be socially unacceptable, even if it was made optional?
Nope. Given 90+% didn't wear them before it became mandatory I think mask enthusiasts are very much in the minority.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Perhaps they only select those people that are scared of their own shadow. You would think Londoners in particular would just get on with things.
Yesterday I was on the Central line. It was delayed a few minutes at Tottenham Court Road owing to an unattended bag. At Oxford Circus there was quite a crowd waiting. They all piled on. The front three coaches were full, just like the good old days! I didn't spot anyone refusing to get on, even though there were several trains behind at one minute intervals.

dk1

Veteran Member
Yesterday I was on the Central line. It was delayed a few minutes at Tottenham Court Road owing to an unattended bag. At Oxford Circus there was quite a crowd waiting. They all piled on. The front three coaches were full, just like the good old days! I didn't spot anyone refusing to get on, even though there were several trains behind at one minute intervals.
Good to hear.

westv

Established Member
I would have waited even in the good old days.

MikeWM

Established Member
I would have waited even in the good old days.

Me too :) I hit a 15-minute gap on the Central line a few weeks ago (still announced as 'good service', of course!). I waited for the next one - I'm not sure I could have got on the first one if I'd tried! Nothing to do with Covid though, more that I don't like being crushed.

Killingworth

Established Member
I've never understood why almost everyone tries to pile onto a late tube train. It just makes it even later. Nowadays it's easy to see the next trains are right behind and will be progressively less full to all but empty.

I'm also amused to see folks pile into the part of the train nearest the station entrance allowing back or front sections to remain relatively empty. Of course you need to know the route and local variations.

Last Friday we joined an EMR Sheffield bound service at Leicester and heard the platform announcement that distancing would be difficult on a crowded train. Next one said it had 10 coaches. We went to the North end of the platform and boarded an almost empty front unit. The rear unit probably was crowded, including the Crystal Palace football team and entourage.

Ediswan

Established Member
I've never understood why almost everyone tries to pile onto a late tube train. It just makes it even later.
In the central area, passengers have no clue as to whether the train in front of them is on time or late. All they know for sure is that it is there and that they can squeeze on. Hence, they will arrive at their destination sooner than waiting for the next train.

Personally, I'll let one sardine can go. If the next is just as bad, I am another sardine.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Today the 1734 up from Shenfield was full and standing from Ilford onwards. Central line westbound had every seat taken in the front coach at Liverpool Street and got fuller to Oxford Circus.

Victoria line southbound platform was packed. First train full to bursting. I declined it and got a seat on the second but it was still well loaded. London has definitely come back to life.

Killingworth

Established Member
In the central area, passengers have no clue as to whether the train in front of them is on time or late. All they know for sure is that it is there and that they can squeeze on. Hence, they will arrive at their destination sooner than waiting for the next train.

Personally, I'll let one sardine can go. If the next is just as bad, I am another sardine.
Forgive me, I haven't used the tube for a couple of years, but my memory says the platform indicators scroll with the time until at least the next 2 or 3 trains and where they go. Unless I needed a connection I'd always stand back from a train that was badly delayed unless the next was showing a long way behind. They manage to show next 6 buses on a stop near me, although only 2 show at a view.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Forgive me, I haven't used the tube for a couple of years, but my memory says the platform indicators scroll with the time until at least the next 2 or 3 trains and where they go. Unless I needed a connection I'd always stand back from a train that was badly delayed unless the next was showing a long way behind. They manage to show next 6 buses on a stop near me, although only 2 show at a view.

A train in the platform is worth half a dozen hypothetical ones on the departure board. That’s the seasoned commuter logic, anyway.

On the Central line, ‘waiting for the second advertised Hainault train in three minutes’ is usually a jinx. In that three minutes, they’ll turn it into a Loughton reverser.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
A train in the platform is worth half a dozen hypothetical ones on the departure board. That’s the seasoned commuter logic, anyway.

On the Central line, ‘waiting for the second advertised Hainault train in three minutes’ is usually a jinx. In that three minutes, they’ll turn it into a Loughton reverser.
Yes, indeed. A seasoned commuter always gets the first train.

BrianW

Established Member
Could someone please direct me to the thread for how the railway might look with 'new normal' more working at/ from home and less commuting/ 'peaktime' travel?
And speaking personally as an old git I have become 'scared of my own shadow' and will take some coaxing to return to the old 'normal'; I am very grateful for those who have 'kept the show on the road', and most especially those who have made the ultimate sacrifice. I would myself appreciate more understanding.

Killingworth

Established Member

That's why I avoid the tube in central London and walk if I have time!

philosopher

Established Member
At Euston tube station yesterday they were still playing a very off putting prerecorded message telling potential passengers to minimise travel, to walk or cycle instead and to work from home.

Hopefully such messaging will be a thing of past very soon and will not return. Telling passengers not to use public transport is not exactly going to encourage people back on trains.

Killingworth

Established Member
At Euston tube station yesterday they were still playing a very off putting prerecorded message telling potential passengers to minimise travel, to walk or cycle instead and to work from home.

Hopefully such messaging will be a thing of past very soon and will not return. Telling passengers not to use public transport is not exactly going to encourage people back on trains.
Government are still pushing the work from home policy. Until that is removed employers won't be able to bring all their staff back in. We can see that very many have got so used to not going in that they will never return. It suits many employees and employers alike. They won't hear platform announcements at home:'(

Last edited:

anthony263

Established Member
Bus operators in Wales are pushing the Welsh Government to allow us to copy England abd take full loads on buses again

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Bus operators in Wales are pushing the Welsh Government to allow us to copy England abd take full loads on buses again
That would make sense. It's also made me wonder what would happen with cross-border routes - would English or Welsh rules apply? Or would they be forced to let loads of passengers off at the border to make sure their loads halved once they entered Wales? It's a bit of a minefield!

anthony263

Established Member
That would make sense. It's also made me wonder what would happen with cross-border routes - would English or Welsh rules apply? Or would they be forced to let loads of passengers off at the border to make sure their loads halved once they entered Wales? It's a bit of a minefield!

Newport bus ooerate the T7 now. Our drivers have asked our md aboutthis as if did have the service still would it mean full loads bridtol to cribbage causeway then kick half the bus off for the rest of the trip to Chepstow

Bikeman78

Established Member

There is none of this at Liverpool Street. Stratford is getting very busy again. The Central line and Shenfield platforms are constantly well filled. Even the 8/12 car dusty bins out to Southend, Colchester etc. are filling up again. Gives me hope to be honest.

philosopher

Established Member
There is none of this at Liverpool Street. Stratford is getting very busy again. The Central line and Shenfield platforms are constantly well filled. Even the 8/12 car dusty bins out to Southend, Colchester etc. are filling up again. Gives me hope to be honest.
To be fair Euston is the only station I have heard this message, however I did hear it the previous time I passed through Euston in April.

greyman42

Established Member
Government are still pushing the work from home policy. Until that is removed employers won't be able to bring all their staff back in. We can see that very many have got so used to not going in that they will never return. It suits many employees and employers alike. They won't hear platform announcements at home:'(
The government cannot expect the private sector to bring their employees back to the office when their own are still sat at home. If they want workers back in the city centres then they need to set an example.

Status
Not open for further replies.