• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Getting people back on trains as lockdown eases.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dk1

Veteran Member
Plenty of promotions & advertising all prepared & ready in stages to roll out at GA, just as soon as the government allows it. Some such as Stansted Express stuff was ready just as all this kicked off last year so will also still be used when we are all freely allowed to fly too. It will all go hand in hand with a National Rail campaign to get people travelling again.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VauxhallandI

Established Member
Plenty of promotions & advertising all prepared & ready in stages to roll out at GA, just as soon as the government allows it. Some such as Stansted Express stuff was ready just as all this kicked off last year so will also still be used when we are all freely allowed to fly too. It will all go hand in hand with a National Rail campaign to get people travelling again.
Sounds promising

Jamesrob637

Established Member
Northern are beginning to encourage train travel again. At glacial pace but better than nothing.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Northern are beginning to encourage train travel again. At glacial pace but better than nothing.

On a Calder Valley service today and, compared to last year, the "do not eat or drink" stickers had thankfully gone.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
On a Calder Valley service today and, compared to last year, the "do not eat or drink" stickers had thankfully gone.

Well I had a positive advert on YouTube tonight. The only ad I could tolerate right now on YouTube! (I usually use an ad blocker)

trebor79

Established Member
Soon as the mask mandate is gone, or sufficient people openly ignore it (rather than just when no one 'official' is about as now) I'll be back on trains. It's literally the only reason I am driving to Sleaford every week - a drive I detest but slightly less detestable than being forced to wear a bit of cloth on my face and see the dehumanising sight of other people similarly attired.

Killingworth

Established Member
We made a round trip on Friday, almost 6 hours masked. Over 90% of fellowpassengers were fully complying. It's a pain, but I had more of a grouse with the lack of knee room and ended up with a trapped nerve in my leg! I've taken trains on my own from time to time since last March, trying to keep to the rules. It's only in the last month that we've travelled together, but now the shackles are off I'm instructed to find more places to go. Seems the car is going to be getting a rest, but our infrequent journeys won't save the railway.

We got our kids onto trains with Rail Riders and a series of Merrymaker excursions from Sheffield that preceeded them. Good to see they're back; Rail Riders, The Railway Club for Everyone but it's not enough. We need more and bigger leisure promotions like this, but getting all the commuters back to commuting 5 days a week is impossible.

I was speaking to a young lady who lives in Sheffield and works in Manchester. She has returned, but only 2 days a week. Working from home she rolls out of bed in pyjamas and may not get dressed and made up all day. She might even answer emails from bed! On a commuting day it's half an hour to get ready, at least, allow 20 minutes to the station, an hour on the train and at least 20 minutes to her desk. In the evening it's likely to be 40 minutes from leaving her desk to the train leaving, an hour in the train, and 20 minutes back home. Add that all up and compare about 4 hours with zero minutes when working from home - then factor in the cost!

It's going to be a very hard job to get longer distance commuters back. They have had too long to get used to not commuting, and their managers have learnerd how much can be saved on office costs. Not a few have changed jobs to work from home, to work nearer home or moved to live nearer work. It's a confused picture and may take 3 or 4 years before everything settles down to whatever becomes the new normal.

Last edited:

Jamesrob637

Established Member
We made a round trip on Friday, almost 6 hours masked. Over 90% of fellowpassengers were fully complying. It's a pain, but I had more of a grouse with the lack of knee room and ended up with a trapped nerve in my leg! I've taken trains on my own from time to time since last March, trying to keep to the rules. It's only in the last month that we've travelled together, but now the shackles are off I'm instructed to find more places to go. Seems the car is going to be getting a rest, but our infrequent journeys won't save the railway.

We got our kids onto trains with Rail Riders and a series of excursions from Sheffield that preceeded them. Good to see they're back; Rail Riders, The Railway Club for Everyone but it's not enough. We need more and bigger leisure promotions like this, but getting all the commuters back to commuting 5 days a week is impossible.

I was speaking to a young lady who lives in Sheffield and works in Manchester. She has returned, but only 2 days a week. Working from home she rolls out of bed in pyjamas and may not get dressed and made up all day. She might even answer emails from bed! On a commuting day it's half an hour to get ready, at least, allow 20 minutes to the station, an hour on the train and at least 20 minutes to her desk. In the evening it's likely to be 40 minutes from leaving her desk to the train leaving, an hour in the train, and 20 minutes back home. Add that all up and compare about 4 hours with zero minutes when working from home - then factor in the cost!

It's going to be a very hard job to get longer distance commuters back. They have had too long to get used to not commuting, and their managers have learnerd how much can be saved on office costs. Not a few have changed jobs to work from home, to work nearer home or moved to live nearer work. It's a confused picture and may take 3 or 4 years before everything settles down to whatever becomes the new normal.

@shredder1 took a East Midlands Day Ranger on Saturday I see. I looked at the cost of said ticket on Rail Enquiries and had a whiter-than-snow look on my face. You could do the whole of the Czech Republic for that price even at a slightly rip-off exchange rate of 25CZK/GBP!

Spartacus

Established Member
@shredder1 took a East Midlands Day Ranger on Saturday I see. I looked at the cost of said ticket on Rail Enquiries and had a whiter-than-snow look on my face. You could do the whole of the Czech Republic for that price even at a slightly rip-off exchange rate of 25CZK/GBP!

Average pint of a pint in Prague's only about £2 still, price of a pint of Sam Smiths is well above that now.

Jamiescott1

Just had a disagreement with btp at Marylebone.
As usual I didn't follow the one system and a member of BTP called me back and asked me to follow it. I asked him if one way systems are legally enforceable, he didn't answer so I called him a "something" joke, asked if theres any real crimes to solve and went on my way.
Surprised I didn't get more of a talking to.
Stupid one way systems are not going to encourage people back on trains

greyman42

Established Member
As usual I didn't follow the one system and a member of BTP called me back and asked me to follow it. I asked him if one way systems are legally enforceable, he didn't answer so I called him a "something" joke, asked if theres any real crimes to solve and went on my way.
Good on you. The sooner the public kick back against these ridiculous rules, including masks, the sooner they will be dropped.

24Grange

I think for Joe Public, especially for non-commuter related journeys, is going to take a long time for "Covid also catches the train" slogan to leave the collective consciousness. Also fares are still priced ( I think) for the pre-Covid world (peak,off -peak) so even if trains are empty, you pick the wrong time to travel it will still cost a lot.

Kite159

Veteran Member

Good

The police should be out catching real criminals, rather than picking up on people not following idiotic one-way systems.

bengley

Established Member
I was asked yesterday whether I had a 'card' to prove my exemption by an EMR Train Manager.

I explained politely that I did not and that it was not required but she kicked up a bit of a fuss and started loudly berating me to her colleague in the vestibule. Wasn't happy, and it didn't make me feel particularly comfortable for the rest of the journey.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I was asked yesterday whether I had a 'card' to prove my exemption by an EMR Train Manager.

I explained politely that I did not and that it was not required but she kicked up a bit of a fuss and started loudly berating me to her colleague in the vestibule. Wasn't happy, and it didn't make me feel particularly comfortable for the rest of the journey.
Don't forget to complain. Only way this nonsense will stop.

VauxhallandI

Established Member

Where have these clowns been for ten months? I’d have followed it up in the vestibule too and filmed it for their complaints department

trebor79

Established Member

Definite grounds for complaint I think.
I've written to EMR in the past to complement their staffs behaviour (exemplary in a stressful situation when the 158 I was on [apparently, but turned out not to have] caught fire) and they do read and respond.

bengley

Established Member
Where have these clowns been for ten months? I’d have followed it up in the vestibule too and filmed it for their complaints department
I went into the vestibule to speak to her colleague after she had stormed off and gave him my side of events - he was much more reasonable and understood.

greyman42

Established Member

I cannot understand why a train manager would give two hoots whether someone has a mask or not. I know i certainly would not.

I assume that staff know that no action will be taken against them if a complaint is made, and so it gives them carte blanche to carry on like this.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I wonder if masks were made optional, it would cause a social split. For example, playing loud music and talking loudly on your phone in a busy carriage is frowned upon, but generally not illegal.

Would NOT wearing a mask be frowned upon and be socially unacceptable, even if it was made optional?

Last edited by a moderator:

Richard Scott

Established Member
But me not wearing a mask is not a sensory annoyance like loud music (or people watching films on tablets) is? It's their opinion/belief that masks make a difference, not scientific fact. However, it's definitely true that loud music and people watching films is an annoyance to some.

LowLevel

Established Member
I wonder if masks were made optional, it would cause a social split. For example, playing loud music and talking loudly on your phone in a busy carriage is frowned upon, but generally not illegal.

Would NOT wearing a mask be frowned upon and be socially unacceptable, even if it was made optional?

Playing loud music on your phone in a carriage is illegal.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Given how lightly loaded some long distance services have been recently, they possibly have space to resurrect the BR Disco carriage !

philosopher

Established Member
A YouGov poll for the London Evening Standard today suggests 53% of Londoners are concerned about using the tube. 48% are concerned about buses and 42% about trains.

Some 53 per cent of Londoners say they are worried about using the tube again in an exclusive YouGov poll

More than half of Londoners say they feel uncomfortable about travelling on the tube after Covid, with older people particularly concerned about returning to the daily commute.
In an exclusive Evening Standard poll by YouGov, it was revealed the London Underground is the mode of transport people are most worried about using over Covid fears.
It comes as Boris Johnson announced guidance to work from home is likely to end on June 21, along with the lifting of all remaining coronavirus restrictions.

Among those concerned, 23 per cent of people went so far as to say they “wouldn’t be comfortable at all” using the tube, as just one in 10 (10 per cent) said they felt “very relaxed” about it.

Fewer commuters (48 per cent) are concerned about using the bus again and even fewer (42 per cent) raised concerns about taking the train, including the London Overground.
I know there is some skepticism about these polls though. It may be that those concerned about using public transport did not use them much pre covid anyway.

dk1

Veteran Member
A YouGov poll for the London Evening Standard today suggests 53% of Londoners are concerned about using the tube. 48% are concerned about buses and 42% about trains.

I know there is some skepticism about these polls though. It may be that those concerned about using public transport did not use them much pre covid anyway.
Perhaps they only select those people that are scared of their own shadow. You would think Londoners in particular would just get on with things.

Established Member
I have managed to see Stockport to Carlisle for £11 in 10 days' time, and Edinburgh to Manchester the following day for £15 (splitting in Preston but it has reserved me the same seat throughout!)

In case anybody is wondering, the Carlisle to Edinburgh bit will be on buses via Hawick, Galashiels and Peebles!
Random guess as to what the Scottish places you'll be bussing through have in common?

'Spoons? :smile:

Status
Not open for further replies.