• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Central Low Level 1967

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

PaxVobiscum

Established Member
Thanks for the link - I hadn't seen these yet although I'm a member of that forum.

I also walked the Central Low level line from Kelvinbridge to Glasgow Cross with a small group of Glasgow Uni students in 1971 when the Clyde Expressway was under construction but before work had started on the Argyle line.

I remember two very scary moments: the first was seeing a doll's head in a puddle inside a tunnel and thinking for a good few seconds that we had happened upon some horrible crime;

the second was hearing a 'Blue train" (class 303 EMU) in the distance on the incline from Charing Cross (Queen St low level line) and no matter how much we rationalised that the sound of the approaching train was coming from the working line that crossed ours at right angles on a subterranean bridge and NOT from further up our disused and trackless tunnel, we all found it very difficult to make ourselves accept that we weren't all about to be flattened by an invisible ghost train in the dark.

Somewhere I have a few 35mm slides taken on that expedition. I'll need to dig them out and post them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.