• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Queen Street refurbishment and remodelling

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottDarg

Very much a fan of this proposal and hope the council end up taking the same view.

The new plaza space accessed from Cathedral St looks good and would make a big impact in the overall appearance of that area I think - that is until (if?) a developer looks to build on top of it in the future.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Scotrail314209

Established Member
This looks lovely. I can imagine the plaza and shops would be very attractive to students from the nearby college and University. This would also be great for people walking to the Bus Station from George Square as the addition of escalators means there is no need to walk up a steep hill.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Very much a fan of this latest proposal, certainly what Queen St (and the immediate area) needs going forward. One can only hope that Glasgow City Council will take the same view.

clc

Established Member
It looks good but why no escalators down to the low level?

ScottDarg

I can imagine the plaza and shops would be very attractive to students from the nearby college and University.

Was thinking the same. It would complement the other developments in that area nicely (the new student tower on the opposite corner, repurposing of the Met Tower and changes to George Square)

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Was thinking the same. It would complement the other developments in that area nicely (the new student tower on the opposite corner, repurposing of the Met Tower and changes to George Square)

There isn't much in terms of outdoor space at the college or university, so it'd be a great place for them to gather.

Voyager lad

There isn't much in terms of outdoor space at the college or university, so it'd be a great place for them to gather.
Definitely! The plans actually make me think of the area on top of the Waverley Mall above Edinburgh Waverley - it acts as a great overspill from Princes Gardens and I can imaging this space at Queen St would become very busy with students and commuters alike. Especially during disruption, many including myself would rather sit outside for the wait. If a couple of summary departure boards were provided it would be perfect!

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Definitely! The plans actually make me think of the area on top of the Waverley Mall above Edinburgh Waverley - it acts as a great overspill from Princes Gardens and I can imaging this space at Queen St would become very busy with students and commuters alike. Especially during disruption, many including myself would rather sit outside for the wait. If a couple of summary departure boards were provided it would be perfect!
Oh yes! It would make things perfect in terms of facilities, something Queen Street has always been naff in.

If this goes ahead, Queen Street will easily trump Central Station in being Glasgow’s best

nlogax

Established Member
Think this looks wonderful. Love what the revamped Queen St station is doing to this part of the city.

I have a slight concern re the 'grass on rooftops' detail.. judging by how badly that's fared in the long term elsewhere. Of course that's usually a result of insufficient maintenance. If done right it can work.

route101

Established Member

I think in the City Centre as a whole, there is not many areas that are quiet and you can sit down to have something to eat.

Strathclyder

Established Member

och aye

The commemorative plaques for the 1960 Low Level electrification are back up on display: https://twitter.com/networkrailgqs/status/1412436738849624072
View attachment 99447

I checked with NetworkRailGQS to see if all 3 plaques were there and they kindly posted another photo:

View attachment 99448
All three plaques next to each other look very smart indeed.

I don't why, but it always pleases me when I see plaques that mark part of the local railway history. The memorials at Glasgow Central and Waverley are particularly poignant.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Think there are a second set of plans to develop the East Side of the new station. Which may include escalators.
Post #1528 gives links to planning application details about the next phase. I just had another scan through the design and access statement, there are no escalators to the low level platforms, just new stairs and lifts, (and secondary escape stairs).

Last edited:

Post #1528 gives links to planning application details about the next phase. I just had another scan through the design and access statement, there are no escalators to the low level platforms, just new stairs and lifts, (and secondary escape stairs).
According to post #1530
Wow, that should keep this thread going for another few years then. It’s going to be quite a massive change to access to the low level platforms.

The mock up shown on #1528 certainly shows a series of escalaors.

clc

Established Member
According to post #1530
Wow, that should keep this thread going for another few years then. It’s going to be quite a massive change to access to the low level platforms.

The mock up shown on #1528 certainly shows a series of escalaors.
The mock up shows escalators from the high level concourse up to a new mezzanine level then continuing up to a new roof level plaza. There won’t be any escalators to the low level platforms.

The mock up shows escalators from the high level concourse up to a new mezzanine level then continuing up to a new roof level plaza. There won’t be any escalators to the low level platforms.
Interesting that you now say that. You wrote #1530.

swt_passenger wrote #1530.
Planning applications submitted on 4th May:
https://publicaccess.glasgow.gov.uk...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=QSMR9AEX0WY00
Listed building:
https://publicaccess.glasgow.gov.uk...s.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=QSLB9WEXGXJ00

Transformation of Glasgow’s Queen Street station to continue

https://news.stv.tv/west-central/transformation-of-glasgows-queen-street-station-to-continue

Plans for the next stage of the redevelopment have been submitted to Glasgow
City Council by Network Rail.

The transformation of Glasgow’s Queen Street station is set to continue, with
a new building and public plaza.

Plans for the next stage of the redevelopment have been submitted to Glasgow
City Council by Network Rail.

Inside the new podium building, there would be a concourse, with access to
low-level platforms eight and nine, and retail, food and drink outlets.

It would also connect to the mainline station concourse to create “a one
station experience”.

A new concourse mezzanine “will be lined with retail and connect directly to
North Hanover Street via a new entrance”, the plans add.

The extension is set to be built on an area previously used as a staff car park
and taxi rank.

“This development will significantly improve the operation of Glasgow Queen
Street station,” the application states, adding the upgrade will provide
“facilities which today’s passengers now expect in a station”.

The proposed development has been designed to accommodate future commercial
office space, which is not part of the current application.

A public plaza is planned for the roof of the new building. This will be a
“meanwhile” use, until the future development is planned.

The building will be seen from the street as a ‘wedge’ – emerging from
the ground towards the Millennium Hotel.

Plans state: “This podium project is recognised as the first step in a bigger
project for the site and as such the remit for the podium includes delivery of a
flexible development deck, which can enable the delivery of 300,000 sq ft of
commercial buildings by others in the future.

“The overarching ambition is that when complete the site will be an
integrated, innovative, commercial hub bringing together a key transport hub,
Grade A office and retail tenant space.

“It is expected that people will dwell on the mezzanine and watch the
activity of the concourse below while enjoying a meal or drink.”

The recent £120m redevelopment of Queen Street station, including the new
building, expanded concourse and improved entrances, was part of the Edinburgh
Glasgow Improvement Programme – a Scottish Government investment in railway
infrastructure.

Blindtraveler

Established Member
Interesting to see how this will be interpreted and delivered. If these facilities are similar to the ones at the likes of st. Pancras or Birmingham New Street, in other words and overpriced pretentious shopping centre with trains running through the middle of it as a token gesture then I'm not keen. If said facility is amount to a decent sized boots or similar with a pharmacy, a half decent pub, a couple of coffee shops and a branch of Smyths then I'm all for it.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Interesting to see how this will be interpreted and delivered. If these facilities are similar to the ones at the likes of st. Pancras or Birmingham New Street, in other words and overpriced pretentious shopping centre with trains running through the middle of it as a token gesture then I'm not keen. If said facility is amount to a decent sized boots or similar with a pharmacy, a half decent pub, a couple of coffee shops and a branch of Smyths then I'm all for it.

SkyscraperCity - Glasgow Queen St Station Redevelopment

In the planning docs, some names are already listed for the retail units:

RooftopBrewdog L2, [Cafe 123m²]
Mezzanine[Bar/Food, 205m²], [Retail 61m²], [Bar/Food 105m²], Brewdog L1, Starbucks, Subway, Flying Tiger, [Retail 87m²], [Retail 50m²]
ConcourseHotel Chocolat, iSmash, Pret, Cafe Nero, Boots, M&S, Greggs, WH Smith, Leon

It's not trying to be anything too bold. A little higher quality than what we had before, but nothing that would be alien to the average ScotRail passenger.

camflyer

och aye

SkyscraperCity - Glasgow Queen St Station Redevelopment

In the planning docs, some names are already listed for the retail units:

RooftopBrewdog L2, [Cafe 123m²]
Mezzanine[Bar/Food, 205m²], [Retail 61m²], [Bar/Food 105m²], Brewdog L1, Starbucks, Subway, Flying Tiger, [Retail 87m²], [Retail 50m²]
ConcourseHotel Chocolat, iSmash, Pret, Cafe Nero, Boots, M&S, Greggs, WH Smith, Leon

It's not trying to be anything too bold. A little higher quality than what we had before, but nothing that would be alien to the average ScotRail passenger.
What, no soulless, expensive and devoid of atmosphere rip-off SSP run Beer House pub?! :E Cue inevitable jokes about BrewDog <D

Status
Not open for further replies.