• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Glasgow Subway New Driverless Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Does anyone know the story behind this? At a guess it presumably developed a defect and was used for spares. To JR Adam & Sons for scrap? (All informed speculation on my part).
I'd be interested to know myself, all I know is that it was withdrawn and scrapped pre-2019 as the RVAR exemption notice for the Glasgow Subway (dated 23 September 2019) makes specific mention that 122 was withdrawn and scrapped - though not when nor why.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Skymonster

Established Member
I’m still chasing 125... every time it evades me!

When I was in Glasgow late last summer I saw 33 cars - that correlates nicely with the theory there are left 36 in service (wikipedia said that last year), leaving one set on hidden away on maintenance. I did catch 125 though! ;)

102, 104, 105, 106, 107, 108, 109, 110, 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118, 119, 121, 123, 124, 125, 128, 129, 130, 131, 132, 133
201, 202, 203, 205, 206, 207, 208 - plus L6 outside the depot

However, according to trainlogger 101, 103, 111, 120, 126, 127 and 204 (the seven cars I didn't see) have all been active this year meaning 40 of the 41 have been active within the last nine months.

Last edited:

amwells

When I was in Glasgow late last summer I saw 33 cars - that correlates nicely with the theory there are left 36 in service (wikipedia said that last year), leaving one set on hidden away on maintenance. I did catch 125 though! ;)

Thank you, that’s very helpful, will plan another hunt :)

Julia

Last time I was in Glasgow was in 2014, and I noted three of the centre cars in advertising liveries (two for the Commonwealth games, one for the SPT Zonecard) without visible fleet numbers. Definitely not 201-3/8, but I can't for the life of me find any reference to which ones they might have been?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Last time I was in Glasgow was in 2014, and I noted three of the centre cars in advertising liveries (two for the Commonwealth games, one for the SPT Zonecard) without visible fleet numbers. Definitely not 201-3/8, but I can't for the life of me find any reference to which ones they might have been?
Afaik all 8 trailers cars were interested to be so vinyled, certainly there was a press "launch" with the first two so treated at which it was stated a further six trailer cars were to be vinyled.

(One small point - there isn't really such a thing as a 'centre car' per se, loose formations are used and the middle vehicle can be a trailer or motor car - there is no fixed centre car.)

GLC

Any progress on acceptance of the new trains? Not been on the subway in a very long time now but they've also had at least one of the new units for over two years now based on the press release in the first post!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Any progress on acceptance of the new trains? Not been on the subway in a very long time now but they've also had at least one of the new units for over two years now based on the press release in the first post!
Still not in service yet.

Also, for anyone interested in 'ticking off' the MetCamms I have it on good authority that all cars except 122 (withdrawn Oct 15) are serviceable.

bramling

Veteran Member
Was Car 122 withdrawn in October last year or six years ago?
Where is Car 122 now?

October 2015. It’s definitely scrapped - SPT confirmed that themselves somewhere, and there was a sighting of it on the back of a low loader.

No one seems to know quite why though, or for that matter where it went for scrap. It’s a fair bet it was simply defective / became a parts donor, and an equally reasonable bet that it may well have gone to JR Adam (being local to Broomloan), but this is merely speculation.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Was Car 122 withdrawn in October last year or six years ago?
October 2015

October 2015. It’s definitely scrapped - SPT confirmed that themselves somewhere, and there was a sighting of it on the back of a low loader.

No one seems to know quite why though, or for that matter where it went for scrap. It’s a fair bet it was simply defective / became a parts donor, and an equally reasonable bet that it may well have gone to JR Adam (being local to Broomloan), but this is merely speculation.
Parts obsolescence in the fleet, so it was chosen to be a parts donor.

ld0595

It's nearly two and a half years since the first of the new subway trains arrived. All seems to be very quiet. Has there been any recent updates on timescales, testing etc.?

GALLANTON

They seem to be dragging their heels getting the new trains into service. Surely it shouldn't take this long for such a small and uncomplicated system.

Glasgowbusguy

On Moderation
They seem to be dragging their heels getting the new trains into service. Surely it shouldn't take this long for such a small and uncomplicated system.
That's the issue is that it is a complicated system the new trains can't go on untill all the signal and track and tunnel upgrades have been completed and these where delayed by covid and not by issues getting parts

That's the issue is that it is a complicated system the new trains can't go on untill all the signal and track and tunnel upgrades have been completed and these where delayed by covid and not by issues getting parts
Believe only three new units are delivered. These are being extensivly tested on the new test track. Once accepted more will be delivered.
However there can't be a mixture of old and new in service till signalling is updated.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Believe only three new units are delivered. These are being extensivly tested on the new test track. Once accepted more will be delivered.
However there can't be a mixture of old and new in service till signalling is updated.
I understood they were were making the new trains compatible with the existing signalling system because of the extended delays.

I understood they were were making the new trains compatible with the existing signalling system because of the extended delays.
According to their website

The system will include new platform screen doors, which will be ‘half height’ to preserve as much space and openness within the stations as possible while still maintaining passenger safety and security.

Once the new full system is in place – trains, signalling, operational control centre, platform screen doors – and it has been fully tested, the Subway will move from its current partially automatic trains to Unattended Train Operations (UTO).

EMU303

According to Nov edition of Modern Railways:
Next 2 trains are in build at the factory in Switzerland but the first 3 have only been out on the test track at the depot. Testing in the tunnels and mileage accumulation still to be done. Some minor modifications to the first 3 will be done in Glasgow

hexagon789

Veteran Member
According to Nov edition of Modern Railways:
Next 2 trains are in build at the factory in Switzerland but the first 3 have only been out on the test track at the depot. Testing in the tunnels and mileage accumulation still to be done. Some minor modifications to the first 3 will be done in Glasgow
Including making them compatible with the existing signalling as a temporary measure.

Strathclyder

Established Member
I was about to ask if No.122 had received the current livery before being withdrawn and latterly disposed of, but a quick Flickr search confirms that it did.

Instead, here is 122 & 127 resplendent in the centenary livery at Broomloan depot in June 1997.

31789941055_e373a774d8_z.jpg
(122, 127 Broomloan depot 27-6-97; copyright of Flickr's 6089Gardner)

ld0595

Good to see the first update in a while! Looks like the first train has started testing on the network, with intensive testing starting in the new year.

More in the article here: https://www.spt.co.uk/spt-across-the-region/news/first-new-train-enters-subway/

In a major milestone for Glasgow Subway, we're proud to announce that our modernisation Joint Venture (JV) contractors Stadler and Hitachi have run the first two trial exercises with a new Subway train in the system.

The first of the new Subway trains entered the system following the close of passenger service on Saturday 4 December, running through the night into Sunday 5 December.

The initial exercise was to run a new train from the JV testing site to Broomloan Depot and then to Govan Station – firstly to see that the train could travel under its own power into the Subway. The second stage was to see if the depot locos (normally used to move equipment around the system for our night maintenance teams or to rescue broken-down trains) could take the train out of the system should they be needed at any point to “rescue” a train.

Both exercises proved very successful. Planning is now underway to begin the planned for, intensive testing of the new trains in the Subway system next year.

SPT Subway Director Antony Smith said:

“I am delighted that these initial exercises, ahead of the in-system testing which is due to begin next year, went well. This has been an event long in the planning. It is an indication that things are moving forward again after a challenging year for the project with the impact of COVID and lockdowns as well as the subsequent travel restrictions for our contractors.

“However, as 2021 comes to an end, getting the first train into the system is real progress and a sign, that we can hope 2022 sees us get back on track with the modernisation programme.”

There's also a short video here:

Vespa

Established Member
Looks interesting, if successful it would give striking tube drivers food for thought, strike too often and serious consideration would be given to converting the LU to driverless, it won't happen overnight, most certainly probably line by line.

Glasgow underground should give serious consideration to expanding above ground to either on central reservations or elevated railway as digging is too expensive.

alf

On Moderation
Video of Glasgow subway train on the move shows no platform doors.

Does that mean they are not needed for UK driverless trains(as on London’s DLR) ?

stuu

Established Member
Video of Glasgow subway train on the move shows no platform doors.

Does that mean they are not needed for UK driverless trains(as on London’s DLR) ?
They have temporary cabs, the plan is to introduce the new trains alongside the old ones. Then get rid of the old ones, install the PEDs, and then move to automated running

(unless the plan has changed)

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'd never seen a photo or video of the shunting locos!

If you look in the video, you can see the "temporary" nature of the cabs means there's longitudinal passenger seating in them.

Glasgow is a simple little system, but getting it ready for driverless is still going to be a big investment

Status
Not open for further replies.