• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gloucestershire and Warwickshire Steam Railway to reopen on 15th August

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter C

Established Member
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

railfan99

Established Member
My local heritage railway is the GWSR and we took a compartment last Tuesday and I have to say it was all rather pleasant and, for £50 for the two of us to share a compartment, very good value. We were fortunate that the sun was shining and the Cotswolds looked truly fantastic and my only regret was that the outing reminded us of times before Covid19, and that Covid19 is still with us. Other that that I can thoroughly recommend it as a lovely day out.

From many thousands of kms away in Oz, huge thanks for supporting your local heritage railway.

I'd be in UK in a flash but the island prison state 'Guv' won't let any of us out the gate.

Great to read that some T & H railways are having days when tickets sell out, although depending on the setup, in some cases this may be for less revenue than they'd normally receive if tickets could be purchased without restriction up to a minute before trains departed.

Richard Scott

Established Member
Railway's social media showing an additional diesel day on 4th October with 45149. Not on website yet, though.

reddragon

Established Member
Update from railway

Progress since restart

At its September meeting, the Board was told that during August, we carried 2,800 passengers on 9 operating days - using a single steam train doing two round trips on the first six days, and then two steam trains completing four round trips each day during the bank holiday weekend. This is a creditable achievement as the Railway successfully resumed operations after the covid-19 lockdown and we can be proud of this.

The sale of tickets and refreshments for August were such that we managed to cover almost all railway costs and overheads incurred during the month. However, it must be appreciated that we have had to scale back many activities to contain costs until such time as normal operations can be resumed and funding of those activities can be resumed.

By way of comparison, in the same two-week period last year, we carried nearly 9,000 passengers but we did operate on more days (13 rather than nine) and ran at least two steam-hauled services each day. Thus the impact of the coronavirus on passenger numbers and hence income can be clearly seen.

Peter C

Established Member
Update from railway
Doing some quick maths shows that the GWSR carried approximately half the number of people over the fortnight described this year as they did last year. Not amazing under normal circumstances but considering what the line's had to go through recently, this is brilliant. I wish them the best of luck with their diesel days and the rest of their operating season and I look forward to seeing what they can do! :)

-Peter

ABB125

Established Member
From what I've heard, the diesel days have been quite popular so far.
I have seen a few negative comments about the appearance of 24081 today though...
Screenshot_20200920-193825.png
(Not my picture (someone I know), cropped a bit)

Peter C

Established Member
From what I've heard, the diesel days have been quite popular so far.
I have seen a few negative comments about the appearance of 24081 today though...
View attachment 83738
(Not my picture (someone I know), cropped a bit)
I think that headboard is from a group of enthusiasts on Instagram; there's definitely a group which use that term (short for "whack it up" regarding the throttle of a locomotive I believe). I'm not sure if I'm too keen on it because I prefer diesels because they're big noisy things, not so much for the 'thrash', but hey ho - each to their own I suppose!

-Peter :)

reddragon

Established Member
They are now going to carry on running services right through to the new year, including the normally closed season of November!

They are now going to carry on running services right through to the new year, including the normally closed season of November!
Steam only in the winter months though I guess?? D6948 has a boiler but pretty sure it needs repairs, 47105 still under overhaul and no ETH coaches for 45149

Peter C

Established Member
Steam only in the winter months though I guess?? D6948 has a boiler but pretty sure it needs repairs, 47105 still under overhaul and no ETH coaches for 45149
I believe D6948 has just finished some sort of work (what this is I can't remember) - others will be able to confirm/elaborate/deny!

-Peter

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I must admit that I thought the boiler was fine on the 37, it was certainly steaming away nicely last year.
Do you know what’s wrong with it?

As an aside, what a superb machine that is. A real credit to the group.

I must admit that I thought the boiler was fine on the 37, it was certainly steaming away nicely last year.

Afraid not, it was explained on the GWR diesel group blog last year.

Peter C

Established Member

Afraid not, it was explained on the GWR diesel group blog last year.
The Growler Group, custodians of D6948, said this ln Twitter on the 12th:
Flashback to the first steaming of the @ClaytonInd boiler in 37248 during the overhaul to become D6948. The steam is not coming out of the correct place but this was prior to the pipework being re-fitted. #class37 Photos by Dean Tabor. https://t.co/xBnkku2tvb

I'm on a phone at the moment so can't share photos but clicking on the link will take you to the Twitter post.
As far as I'm aware D6948 is fully working now following recent exams and some quite heavy work IIRC.

EDIT: And I've just found this, also from the Growler Group:
We haven't had much to tell you about our locos during lockdown but we are pleased to report that D6948 succesfully passed its B exam yesterday and is fit for traffic should @GWSR need it. Thanks to tech officer Paul Good, GWR head of Diesel @durhamthediesel and Gareth Arlett. https://t.co/g6OffejTrF

Jacob Didcote

I think that headboard is from a group of enthusiasts on Instagram; there's definitely a group which use that term (short for "whack it up" regarding the throttle of a locomotive I believe). I'm not sure if I'm too keen on it because I prefer diesels because they're big noisy things, not so much for the 'thrash', but hey ho - each to their own I suppose!

Indeed it is run by a group of us enthusiasts. Made up of volunteers from GWSR and SVR. Just a joke at the time but turned into reality once the headboard was purchased!

The Growler Group, custodians of D6948, said this ln Twitter on the 12th:

I'm on a phone at the moment so can't share photos but clicking on the link will take you to the Twitter post.
As far as I'm aware D6948 is fully working now following recent exams and some quite heavy work IIRC.

EDIT: And I've just found this, also from the Growler Group:

I am not sure it answers the original question though;, yes the boiler on D6948 was restored and it has worked steam heat trains in preservation but I recall a fault was found in the boiler last year and needed to be fixed. The non operating boiler does not stop the loco being used (indeed I rode behind it 10 days ago) hence the reference to the B exam and fit for traffic.

Peter C

Established Member
Indeed it is run by a group of us enthusiasts. Made up of volunteers from GWSR and SVR. Just a joke at the time but turned into reality once the headboard was purchased!
Haha :)
Shows there's still young people coming into the hobby! And for a heritage line to use the headboard shows they support that, which is excellent.

-Peter

I am not sure it answers the original question though;, yes the boiler on D6948 was restored and it has worked steam heat trains in preservation but I recall a fault was found in the boiler last year and needed to be fixed. The non operating boiler does not stop the loco being used (indeed I rode behind it 10 days ago) hence the reference to the B exam and fit for traffic.
Ah OK - I know little to nothing about diesels with steam heating boilers so I'll take your word for it! :D

-Peter

reddragon

Established Member
Last post on 23/1/20

On the subject of Class 37, D6948, the boiler is still away at the company affecting the repair of the pipework and, sadly, the process has stalled a little meaning the envisaged timescale has had to be redrawn. This saw the proposed running over Xmas and the New Year was retimetabled and the GREEN days were substituted for RED due to no steam heat capability amongst the fleet. On the plus side, it does mean that there is now more time to get the repairs done before winter running requires coach heating. Hopefully the summer won't be too much of a washout!

Status
Not open for further replies.