• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Cornwall Bus

MB162435

Established Member
Well, it was GoAhead that proposed to the council the livery and the use of the TfC name on the buses so any reputational damage is at least partly of their own making.
It's such a shame they didn't go for the Plymouth CityBus. Although not the brightest or most creative at least the red is broken up a bit.

I can certainly see Citybus doing a better job without the Council's heavy involvement.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Didn't post this yesterday, given the date, but what are the chances of three buses on the 39A, all in service, meeting up at exactly the same place at the same time en route? The place was midway between St Hilary and Goldsithney, where the regular 39A turns off into a minor road to access Perran Downs. The Penzance bound single decker arrived at the junction to turn left just as a double decker from Pz stuck its nose out to turn right and as another double decker, presumably a school working, came up the incline from Goldsithney. For a brief instant, as at a mini roundabout, all three buses were stationary, then the schools bus let the other decker out in front of him, giving the s/d the room it needed to turn left. To be honest, I never realised there were as many as three buses on the route at any one time, let alone they should occur together. Must admit I never got to see what the loadings were like, but they were certainly not packed to the gunwhales.

Got to say, as a Londoner in exile, that the sight of red buses running around holds no fears for me if it's meant as a homage to the capital, but not if someone at TfC seriously thinks that organisation bears any comparison to TfL: old sayings about not fit to lick its boots come to mind.

Goldfish62

Established Member
So, having just checked, all social media and the website are now branded as Go Cornwall Bus.

Perhaps now TfC can assume the role it was originally conceived as doing by having a public transport website promoting all buses, trains, ferries and flights in and to/from Cornwall.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Here's a shot of YY64 TXN being prepped at Hants & Dorset Trim a few days ago, having had its rear door removed after a brief spell in Cornwall as a dual-door.

richw

Veteran Member
The ones being painted at hants and Dorset trim appear to be a bright red and to a much higher standard. The brighter red they are using looks a lot better than the duller in house paint jobs. Surely it wouldn’t be too hard for in house to use the same paint code!

Goldfish62

Established Member
The ones being painted at hants and Dorset trim appear to be a bright red and to a much higher standard. The brighter red they are using looks a lot better than the duller in house paint jobs. Surely it wouldn’t be too hard for in house to use the same paint code!
It was really noticeable how dull the ex FK E200s looked when they were first repainted. The paintwork already looked about a year old.

LAIRA

It was really noticeable how dull the ex FK E200s looked when they were first repainted. The paintwork already looked about a year old.
The ex FK E200s were not painted in house but by Car to Coach Vehicle Refinishers Plymouth

Goldfish62

Established Member
Car to Coach normally have very high standards. This surprises me they were done by them.
One of the most common reasons a fresh coat of paint appears dull is that the bus isn't baked in the oven for long enough (I always like saying that for some reason :D) so the paint is still soft when it first goes through the wash.

CornwallBus

Good publicity for TfC with Boris getting off a bus today... shame there was gaffer tape on the N/S front corner and skirt damage looked rough! 20 plate bus too lol

carlberry

Established Member
Good publicity for TfC with Boris getting off a bus today... shame there was gaffer tape on the N/S front corner and skirt damage looked rough! 20 plate bus too lol
Boris always looks like he's held together with gaffer tape and I'm not even going to comment about skirt damage! Given how much notice the operator must have had of the visit I cant imagine why they couldn't find something that's less battered!

Flange Squeal

Established Member
I notice the latest West of England (2798) has a new operating centre with 5 discs at West Wayland Farm, Polperro Road, Looe, PL13 2JS.

(Mods: Apologies for the lack of link to source, but the document has been emailed out to mailing list recipients but not yet on the website at time of writing)

richw

Veteran Member
Looked really dirty as well. Surely if you know Boris is coming even if you’ve some dodgy bodywork, you give it a good clean?

I notice the latest West of England (2798) has a new operating centre with 5 discs at West Wayland Farm, Polperro Road, Looe, PL13 2JS.

(Mods: Apologies for the lack of link to source, but the document has been emailed out to mailing list recipients but not yet on the website at time of writing)
They’ve been outstationing a few buses in this area for a while. Presumably just catching up.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I wonder if it was even planned or just some last minute bright idea?
Makes you wonder.

I note the operator name has been photoshopped out.

Wonder if he noticed that the bus doesn't comply with the minimum expected standards under the national bus strategy, ie, USB, WiFi and next stop audio/visual?!

fgwrich

Established Member
Makes you wonder.

I note the operator name has been photoshopped out.

Wonder if he noticed that the bus doesn't comply with the minimum expected standards under the national bus strategy, ie, USB, WiFi and next stop audio/visual?!

Oddly, not only does the operator appear to be photoshopped out but the Cornwall Council logo too!

And yes, the use of the red tape and skirt damage did amuse me too.

Attachments

• 9292D9F6-5CF1-4180-BD75-30658D6AAE97.jpeg
    9292D9F6-5CF1-4180-BD75-30658D6AAE97.jpeg
    448.6 KB · Views: 118

swifty

Established Member
Oddly, not only does the operator appear to be photoshopped out but the Cornwall Council logo too!

And yes, the use of the red tape and skirt damage did amuse me too.
That really doesn’t look like it’s been edited. However on closer inspection you can see a Cornwall Council shaped touch up!

fgwrich

Established Member
That really doesn’t look like it’s been edited - you can see the reflection across the top of the two near side windows.

You can still edit photos and keep the reflections in them if you know your stuff with Photoshop.

In any case, it suddenly appears to be missing the Cornwall Council / GO Cornwall Bus logo as seen in that space on every other TfC vehicle.

Goldfish62

Established Member
That really doesn’t look like it’s been edited - you can see the reflection across the top of the two near side windows.

You can still edit photos and keep the reflections in them if you know your stuff with Photoshop.

In any case, it suddenly appears to be missing the Cornwall Council / GO Cornwall Bus logo as seen in that space on every other TfC vehicle.

If it's a political publicity shot to promote the national bus strategy or for the local elections then they probably want to make it council- and operator-neutral (especially as CC is a LibDem/independent coalition).

swifty

Established Member

Hmm I've had a look on a bigger screen and you can make out the adjustements! What's the source of of interest?

duncombec

If it's a political publicity shot to promote the national bus strategy or for the local elections then they probably want to make it council- and operator-neutral (especially as CC is a LibDem/independent coalition).

There are elections in Cornwall this year, and we may now be in the purdah period (differing websites say 3 or 6 weeks), so great care has to be used in using council logos in publicity shots. As the picture was captioned in relation to the vaccine roll-out and entering "stage 2", I imagine it was removed on purpose for that reason.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Looked really dirty as well. Surely if you know Boris is coming even if you’ve some dodgy bodywork, you give it a good clean?
Tell Boris you've got something dirty to show him, then try to hold him back. If the bus looks like it's just got out of bed, then it'll blend in with his look perfectly.

richw

Veteran Member
Tell Boris you've got something dirty to show him, then try to hold him back. If the bus looks like it's just got out of bed, then it'll blend in with his look perfectly.
They probably told him they could get something which needs a skirt changing and is a bit dirty, and he jumped at the chance

fgwrich

Established Member
They probably told him they could get something which needs a skirt changing and is a bit dirty, and he jumped at the chance
Also Like’s to ignore a little bit of Red Tape as well!

And yet, for the reasons we've seen over the past year, both your replies could equally sum up the dear leader or the sorry tale of Transport for Cornwall / Go Cornwall Bus.

:lol:

Last edited:

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
There are elections in Cornwall this year, and we may now be in the purdah period (differing websites say 3 or 6 weeks), so great care has to be used in using council logos in publicity shots. As the picture was captioned in relation to the vaccine roll-out and entering "stage 2", I imagine it was removed on purpose for that reason.
Purdah or the pre-election period began on March 29th

And yes, Cornwall Council's bus tender is eerily like Boris.... slovenly, wasting public funds etc

duncombec

Purdah or the pre-election period began on March 29th

Thanks - despite finding that website, I didn't see the date! I thought it was six weeks (from my brief stint as a part-time local government employee a decade ago), but a PDF "Guidance on Conduct for Civil Servants" suggested 'special care' from 3 weeks, subject to rules of the local authorities.*

I wouldn't be surprised if there haven't been numerous "lightly edited" pictures over the years in the run-up to elections, and we just haven't noticed because it's been a long time since a council logo was on the side of a bus!

(Edit: * It seems this exact guidance has been used by civil servants in the Ministry of Housing (etc.) to announce the 'Deal for Truro', and other 'locally orientated' announcements to the consternation of local government commentators... if so, it does render the photo edit slightly unnecessary!)

Last edited:

charlie1284

New timetables out on Traveline, not much significant change apart from the 2 becoming hourly. Its gonna be interesting seeing 6 buses an hour going through Marazion!