• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Cornwall Bus

embers25

Established Member
Exactly: this is a poor show in what is supposed to be a demonstration of the benefits of bus travel to other local authorities/ bus companies. A decent local councillor would be pursuing this.
The same happens in Launceston where none of the buses wait for each other leaving 2 hour waits. Its great having co-ordinated time tabled connections but not if they dont connect.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RELL6L

What is supposed to connect in Launceston?

Having had a ferret around BusTimes it does seem that some Go Cornwall services in this area are somewhat challenged timewise. Yesterday some of the 93s were running quite late, but as far as I could tell the 95 was waiting at St Columb Major, some leaving up to 15 minutes late. This inevitably meant that when the same bus came back 4 hours later it was running late too, threatening the connections, but the 93 was running even later. The 95 will be killed very quickly if buses don't wait. It is a tight four hour round trip from Bude to St Columb major, no driver can do consecutive ones so they need to find a way to swap the vehicles over as well. The 56 yesterday also seems to have been a bit of a disaster too.

Tregony is utterly inexcusable!

83G/84D

Established Member
The company must have been having trouble with the 93/95 'connection' at St Columb Major, as they have an alert on their website that it is 'advisory' rather than guaranteed.

I have never had an issue with this when I have connected from the 93 to the 95 although I am not a regular traveller on these routes.
Is it worse in the other direction connecting from the 95 to the 93 if the former is running late?

richw

Veteran Member
Is it worse in the other direction connecting from the 95 to the 93 if the former is running late?
93 is hourly so if the connection is missed that way your looking at a maximum 59 min wait. (Realistically won’t be This long if the bus arrives more than a few mins late
95 is two hourly so a max 1h59 wait if connection is missed from 93 to 95

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The company must have been having trouble with the 93/95 'connection' at St Columb Major, as they have an alert on their website that it is 'advisory' rather than guaranteed.

I did almost use that "connection" (3 minutes if I recall!) and think they were brave showing it on the timetable, which doesn't show it as advisory.

Exactly: this is a poor show in what is supposed to be a demonstration of the benefits of bus travel to other local authorities/ bus companies. A decent local councillor would be pursuing this.

No need for radios. Just put the connecting stops next to each other, give the buses a decent layover for bidirectional interchange and say to both drivers that they must not depart until they have seen the other bus stop, open its doors and give time for bidirectional interchange, unless they have been instructed by Control to do otherwise, or up to a specified, clearly communicated maximum.

Having done a long journey involving several Go Cornwall Bus buses a couple of weekends ago, I think they would get more custom if they did connections well given the low frequencies. For instance getting from the railway to Tintagel is a right faff with long gaps and no co-ordination. But it really needn't be like that.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
It is shown as advisory - see the active service update at the top of the timetable page.

I meant the printed timetables at stops. That note is a dynamic service update, and not one that was present when I was there the other week!

An advisory connection of three minutes is useless. Three minutes late isn't even legally late for a bus! They should remove the connection from all printed material if they aren't going to guarantee it or at least adjust the timetables so it's not going to miss more often than not.

Last edited:

northernbelle

Apologies. Read your post that only the 1720 omits st Germans!

Have I missed a St Germans service somewhere else? Surely a village of that size warrants a bus

No worries: that 1720 is currently the only trip to serve it.

I think St. Germans has a rail service that is currently hourly off-=peak but half-hourly peak on Mondays to Fridays so perhaps that explains the almost total lack of a bus service when trains calling there serve Plymouth, Liskeard and beyond. On the other hand a bus service is useful when people of limited mobility wish to go shopping.

Dave

I didn't see this addressed earlier in the thread - apologies if it has been - but St Germans is served by the 2-hourly 75A Torpoint-Plymouth via Saltash.

I know folk who live in St Germans and they tell me connectivity to Saltash and Liskeard are their main requirements - the 75A would address Saltash and the train service Liskeard and Saltash.

83G/84D

Established Member
93 is hourly so if the connection is missed that way your looking at a maximum 59 min wait. (Realistically won’t be This long if the bus arrives more than a few mins late
95 is two hourly so a max 1h59 wait if connection is missed from 93 to 95

Thanks, yes I had overlooked that @richw.
I believe the 93 and 50 inter work at Truro whilst the 96 and 10 inter work at Wadebridge as well.

SimH

The 95/93 connection at St Columb Major plainly isn't working. From 4 September the 95 is extended to/from Newquay. That leaves passengers from Truro in the cold though. Other changes include the 21 and 25 swapping back to their previous routes through the Newquay suburbs (21 via St Columb Minor once again and 25 via Treloggan and Hendra.) The 21 no longer serves Pentire: instead there is a new limited service numbered 59A.

embers25

Established Member
Extending the 95 to newquay will kill reliability even more and I'd have thought Truro made more sense for shopping

RELL6L

Looks like some considerable changes, not looked thoroughly but appears the 93 won’t go via St Columb Major, 96 divided at Camelford, 74 decimated between Pensilva and Liskesrd, 76 cut almost entirely. Positively 95 hourly Wadebridge to Newquay, 79 improved, 11 hourly Plymouth to Padstow…..

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
95 back through Crackington, I suspect 94 withdrawn? That was a nuisance to be honest (the other weekend I was camping there).

95 all the way from Newquay would have made my journey a lot easier!

SimH

Extending the 95 to newquay will kill reliability even more and I'd have thought Truro made more sense for shopping
But did many people from Bude go shopping in Truro, even when the 95 ran directly? Plymouth is almost an hour nearer to Bude on the 12. Have to confess I am not sure about Bude-Newquay either. If you want gorgeous coastline and beaches Bude is close to those anyway. I suppose the intermediate traffic is something else, and a restored Newquay-Wadebridge link is useful. St Columb Major has lost out though, because people there might indeed want to go to Truro. The diverted 89 will be two-hourly during the day and non-existent on Sundays and weekday evenings. Not nearly as good as the 93. But we don't have access to the usage figures. I imagine timetable planners do.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
But did many people from Bude go shopping in Truro, even when the 95 ran directly? Plymouth is almost an hour nearer to Bude on the 12. Have to confess I am not sure about Bude-Newquay either. If you want gorgeous coastline and beaches Bude is close to those anyway. I suppose the intermediate traffic is something else, and a restored Newquay-Wadebridge link is useful. St Columb Major has lost out though, because people there might indeed want to go to Truro. The diverted 89 will be two-hourly during the day and non-existent on Sundays and weekday evenings. Not nearly as good as the 93. But we don't have access to the usage figures. I imagine timetable planners do.
Other than for the residents of St Columb Major, these seem logical changes to me. Why would many people from Bude go shopping in Truro, when Plymouth has a large department store, a much larger Marks and Spencer than Truro's, the Barbican and the Hoe as well? Truro City doesn't even have a McDonalds, for those who think that's important, and its museum is about to close because the Council aren't prepared to fund it any longer!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Other than for the residents of St Columb Major, these seem logical changes to me. Why would many people from Bude go shopping in Truro, when Plymouth has a large department store, a much larger Marks and Spencer than Truro's, the Barbican and the Hoe as well? Truro City doesn't even have a McDonalds, for those who think that's important, and its museum is about to close because the Council aren't prepared to fund it any longer!

And they can go to Truro by going to Bodmin Parkway or Newquay and continuing by train. These changes are certainly an improvement in terms of connecting places to the railway - my journey to Crackington and back would for instance have been orders of magnitude easier.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
The 15,2x dep from Sainsburys on the 3 today was terminating at the Bus Stn rather than Roscadghill Parc, but the 16.2x one was going through. Lots of queries to the latter's driver at the Market Jew Street stop!
And they can go to Truro by going to Bodmin Parkway or Newquay and continuing by train. These changes are certainly an improvement in terms of connecting places to the railway - my journey to Crackington and back would for instance have been orders of magnitude easier.
If only trains were running!

Andyh82

Established Member
People seem to be falling into that trap of assuming the only journeys made by bus are from the start point to the end point. I doubt many people are travelling from Bude to Newquay, Truro or anywhere considering you are looking at journeys of over 2 hours each way.

Wadebridge to Truro, and to Newquay, and to Padstow is probably the more likely main destination in that area

farwest

People seem to be falling into that trap of assuming the only journeys made by bus are from the start point to the end point. I doubt many people are travelling from Bude to Newquay, Truro or anywhere considering you are looking at journeys of over 2 hours each way.

Wadebridge to Truro, and to Newquay, and to Padstow is probably the more likely main destination in that area
I used to regularly get the 95 from Wadebridge to Truro and that seemed the best used part of the journey

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member

Tourists connecting to the railway (Cornwall is very popular with non car owning Londoners) are fairly likely to use these longer runs, though, particularly as the shorter runs enabled by connections aren't usually timed to connect. For instance a 2 hour run from Exeter is the easiest way to get to Bude from the railway. It can be reduced to an hour on a bus by changing at Okehampton but...guess what...the connections are poor so it takes longer to do that.

DaveHarries

Established Member
Looks like some considerable changes, not looked thoroughly but appears the 93 won’t go via St Columb Major, 96 divided at Camelford, 74 decimated between Pensilva and Liskesrd, 76 cut almost entirely. Positively 95 hourly Wadebridge to Newquay, 79 improved, 11 hourly Plymouth to Padstow…..
Perhaps the extension of the 95 to Newquay is to compensate for the 93 not providing that link by covering St. Columb Major? Or perhaps First Kernow is having more success here. Not having the 93 go via. St. Columb takes about 17 minutes off the Newquay - Truro trip though.

Meanwhile one or two other things I have noticed:
- Service 21 (Pentire - Newquay - St. Austell) looses the extension to Pentire. There is no sign of the 58 (Newquay Town Service) returning to Pentire either.
- Service 23 (Gorran Haven - St. Austell) and Service 28 (Lostwithiel- St. Austell) have no TT after 03rd September.
- Service 27 (Truro - St. Austell - Bodmin) is worth a look! The off-peak Mondays to Saturdays daytime Truro - St. Austell is non-existent from either FK or GC.
- Service 46 (Camborne - Pool - Redruth - Truro) is withdrawn between Redruth and Truro leaving an hourly Camborne - Redruth service.
- Service 47 (Troon - Camborne - Pool - Redruth - Truro) is largely withdrawn save for 3 evening journeys between Troon and Redruth leaving only the T2 to cover Camborne - Truro.
- Service 49 (Blackrock - Redruth, via. Camborne, Pool and Illogan) is a new route. Hourly service giving replacement travel options to and from Troon which is currently served by the 47.
- Service 56 (Newquay - Padstow) drops the section of route between St. Eval Camp and Treburrick (Old Macdonald's Farm) which goes via. Bedruthan House Hotel and Tonkins Garage.
- Service 59 (Newquay - Treloggan) is down to 3 journeys per day each way
- Service 70 (Plymouth - Cremyll) looses the Cremyll - Cawsand short trips
- Service 74 (Callington - Pensilva - Liskeard) continues at roughly the same frequency of service but with almost no journeys between Pensilva and Liskeard.
- Service 77 (Menheniot - Liskeard - Looe) is dropped between Menheniot and Liskeard
- Service 96 (Wadebridge - Launceston, via. Port Isaac) is revised to be Wadebridge - Bodmin via. Port Isaac with no journeys to Launceston.

As a side thought I notice that the Service 21 stop at Pentire is given on the timetable as "Hotel California". Seemingly, from 04th September, you will be able to check out any time you like but never (well not by bus anyway) leave. :lol:

Dave

Last edited:

Summers510

Perhaps the extension of the 95 to Newquay is to compensate for the 93 not providing that link by covering St. Columb Major? Or perhaps First Kernow is having more success here. Not having the 93 go via. St. Columb takes about 17 minutes off the Newquay - Truro trip though.

- Service 21 (Pentire - Newquay - St. Austell) looses the extension to Pentire. There is no sign of the 58 (Newquay Town Service) returning to Pentire either.
- Service 23 (Gorran Haven - St. Austell) and Service 28 (Lostwithiel- St. Austell) have no TT after 03rd September.
- Service 27 (Truro - St. Austell - Bodmin) is worth a look! The off-peak Mondays to Saturdays daytime Truro - St. Austell is non-existent from either FK or GC.
- Service 46 (Camborne - Pool - Redruth - Truro) is withdrawn between Redruth and Truro leaving an hourly Camborne - Redruth service.
- Service 47 (Troon - Camborne - Pool - Redruth - Truro) is largely withdrawn save for 3 evening journeys between Troon and Redruth leaving only the T2 to cover Camborne - Truro.
- Service 49 (Blackrock - Redruth, via. Camborne, Pool and Illogan) is a new route. Hourly service giving replacement travel options to and from Troon which is currently served by the 47.
- Service 56 (Newquay - Padstow) drops the section of route between St. Eval Camp and Treburrick (Old Macdonald's Farm) which goes via. Bedruthan House Hotel and Tonkins Garage.
- Service 74 (Callington - Pensilva - Liskeard) continues at roughly the same frequency of service but with almost no journeys between Pensilva and Liskeard.
- Service 77 (Menheniot - Liskeard - Looe) is dropped between Menheniot and Liskeard
- Service 96 (Wadebridge - Launceston, via. Port Isaac) is revised to be Wadebridge - Bodmin via. Port Isaac with no journeys to Launceston.

As a side thought I notice that the Service 21 stop at Pentire is given on the timetable as "Hotel California". Seemingly, from 04th September, you will be able to check out any time you like but never (well not by bus anyway) leave. :lol:

Dave
The Pentire extension is now on Service 59: 59 (Newquay, Trerice Drive, Treloggan) and 59A (Newquay, Treloggan, Trerice Drive), operating between 0940 and 1540, and both operating via Pentire on way back to Bus Station

richw

Veteran Member
@DaveHarries youve possibly missed some new service numbers in your analysis. There’s a new service 40 that looks to take over from the 46/47 at initial quick glance.

(I’m away on holiday with poor signal so been unable to open each traveline pdf, but Managed to get to the initial list.

RELL6L

A couple here- yes the 96 no longer goes to Launceston but the 97 will run in its place Camelford - Launceston. And as @richw says there will be a 40 covering the 46 Redruth- Truro, an odd timetable with through journeys every 2 hours and shorts from each end every 2 hours not quite meeting in the middle.

SimH

@DaveHarries youve possibly missed some new service numbers in your analysis. There’s a new service 40 that looks to take over from the 46/47 at initial quick glance.

(I’m away on holiday with poor signal so been unable to open each traveline pdf, but Managed to get to the initial list.
Another one not yet mentioned is the separation of evening services on the 93. This is faster from Newquay to Truro because it now omits St Columb Major as has been said but also Indian Queens and Fraddon. In the evenings though there is a new 93E which includes Indian Queens and Fraddon (but not St Columb). Both services have been rerouted via Treloggan rather than St Columb Minor. This change increases the balance in favour of Treloggan (where there are large supermarkets). Treloggan will have six to seven buses an hour during the day, while St Columb Minor has just three.

nanstallon

I'm wondering what happens to people wanting to go from Wadebridge to Truro. The 95 used to be a direct service, then it was replaced by a 95/93 connection at St Columb Major, which (to my cost, kicking around in a rather unexciting village/town for an hour) didn't work - the 93 went early, although when I complained, they didn't answer my question (typical response, I've found over the years). Instead of addressing this issue, it looks as if you now have to go into Newquay and out again. Or have I missed something?

Dave
Interesting. How can I access this information, please; I can't find it on GCB website?

Last edited: