• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go Cornwall Bus

SimH

I'm wondering what happens to people wanting to go from Wadebridge to Truro. The 95 used to be a direct service, then it was replaced by a 95/93 connection at St Columb Major, which (to my cost, kicking around in a rather unexciting village/town for an hour) didn't work - the 93 went early, although when I complained, they didn't answer my question (typical response, I've found over the years). Instead of addressing this issue, it looks as if you now have to go into Newquay and out again. Or have I missed something?
It is a fair point. At least going to Newquay gives you a wide choice of frequent buses to Truro (five buses an hour in the day, I think). The other route would be 10 to Bodmin Parkway (twice an hour) and then train to Truro. The disadvantages of that are a higher price when compared with the bus all day ticket of just £5, and that Truro station is some way away from the centre, up a hill.

I'm wondering what happens to people wanting to go from Wadebridge to Truro. The 95 used to be a direct service, then it was replaced by a 95/93 connection at St Columb Major, which (to my cost, kicking around in a rather unexciting village/town for an hour) didn't work - the 93 went early, although when I complained, they didn't answer my question (typical response, I've found over the years). Instead of addressing this issue, it looks as if you now have to go into Newquay and out again. Or have I missed something?

Interesting. How can I access this information, please; I can't find it on GCB website?
GCB are always rather slow. You will find all the new timetables on the TravelineSW website.

Interesting. How can I access this information, please; I can't find it on GCB website?

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nanstallon

It is a fair point. At least going to Newquay gives you a wide choice of frequent buses to Truro (five buses an hour in the day, I think). The other route would be 10 to Bodmin Parkway (twice an hour) and then train to Truro. The disadvantages of that are a higher price when compared with the bus all day ticket of just £5, and that Truro station is some way away from the centre, up a hill.

GCB are always rather slow. You will find all the new timetables on the TravelineSW website.

Do Traveline SW have the new timetables in one place? It seems to me that you have to enquire about a particular journey, and just get information about that journey; no general overview of the changes.

RELL6L

The 95 arriving at St Columb Major from Bude should connect into an 89 to Truro. It appears to be designed to connect in both directions, every 2 hours.

Travelinesw.com then go on route timetables and put Go Cornwall in the middle box. Not easy on a phone though!

Accelerator59

@DaveHarries youve possibly missed some new service numbers in your analysis. There’s a new service 40 that looks to take over from the 46/47 at initial quick glance.

(I’m away on holiday with poor signal so been unable to open each traveline pdf, but Managed to get to the initial list.
The 40 service was the old route run by First at the time and running through St. Day, Carharrack and Lanner to Redruth and Camborne before it switched to the 47 which does an anti-clockwise loop through Carharrack. Is the new 40 service by TfC going back to the old route? It’ll make sense as it’ll save the buses turning that sharp corner by the shop where some people park their cars inconsiderately.

nanstallon

The 95 arriving at St Columb Major from Bude should connect into an 89 to Truro. It appears to be designed to connect in both directions, every 2 hours.

Travelinesw.com then go on route timetables and put Go Cornwall in the middle box. Not easy on a phone though!
Maybe I'm thick, but I can only get current timetables that way.

SimH

Do Traveline SW have the new timetables in one place? It seems to me that you have to enquire about a particular journey, and just get information about that journey; no general overview of the changes.
All the timetables are there. On the opening page ignore Plan a Journey: instead click on the Route Timetables link. Put the name of the town you want (third box down) and press Submit.
In fact the new ones are there with the date 04.09.22 in brackets. But I wouldn't use GoCornwall as a search term -- there are too many results. Instead use the third box and put the name of a town.

SimH

I confess I hadn't thought of 95/89. The problem is surely that it's rather high risk. After all there were many reports of the 95 and 93 failing to connect, but at least the 93 was hourly. Going via Newquay will certainly take longer but there are plenty of Truro connections when you get there. Just a thought.

Last edited:

DaveHarries

Established Member
@DaveHarries youve possibly missed some new service numbers in your analysis. There’s a new service 40 that looks to take over from the 46/47 at initial quick glance.
Thanks for that.

What I wrote was compiled by going through the route numbers currently on the GCB website and comparing the current and future timetables by looking them up on the TravelineSW website.

Dave

DaveHarries

Established Member
Good work, Dave - it must have taken you some time to do that.
The devil makes work for idle hands that have a bit of time spare! I didn't do all of the GCB route portfolio (the 1xx-3xx series) though. For my part I admit to being surprised that there is no off-peak service between St. Austell and Truro via. Sticker & A390 on Service 27 which appears to leave Sticker and Grampound with no buses.

Dave

RELL6L

The devil makes work for idle hands that have a bit of time spare! I didn't do all of the GCB route portfolio (the 1xx-3xx series) though. For my part I admit to being surprised that there is no off-peak service between St. Austell and Truro via. Sticker & A390 on Service 27 which appears to leave Sticker and Grampound with no buses.

Dave
I think this is covered by First Kernow 27 hourly during the day.

DaveHarries

Established Member
I think this is covered by First Kernow 27 hourly during the day.
I would hope so although there is currently no new FK timetable for the 27 on TravelineSW. That, of course, doesn't mean one won't be forthcomming.

Dave

Goldfish62

Established Member
Every other journey on the 5 is renumbered 5A and diverted from Alverton and Newlyn Coombe to serve Alexandra Road and Wherrytown. This restores the link with Penzance town centre that was lost when the Land's End Coaster was diverted via the Promenade.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Every other journey on the 5 is renumbered 5A and diverted from Alverton and Newlyn Coombe to serve Alexandra Road and Wherrytown. This restores the link with Penzance town centre that was lost when the Land's End Coaster was diverted via the Promenade.
As proposed by me on here: despite that, it's happening! :) The main Newlyn stops now get served too.

It actually restores the service lost when GC took over the 5 from FK.

Last edited:

nanstallon

Being a route, rather than vehicle, enthusiast, I can see from the many changes that I'll need to get busy with my travel in the next month. Several weeks ago, I did the 89 Truro to Bodmin, 76 from Bodmin to Launceston, then 96 to Wadebridge, and then 95/93 back to Truro. On a sunny day, this was a great trip around Cornwall. It looks as if the 76 will no longer run across Bodmin Moor after the beginning of September. But I have to admit that there were only two of us on that section. Very handy for ramblers on Bodmin Moor.

richw

Veteran Member
I would hope so although there is currently no new FK timetable for the 27 on TravelineSW. That, of course, doesn't mean one won't be forthcomming.

Dave
The April timetable doesn’t have an end date on traveline which normally means unchanged.

DaveHarries

Established Member
The April timetable doesn’t have an end date on traveline which normally means unchanged.
Indeed but the GCB one below it does have an end date of 03/09/2022. Normally there is a change around the start of September because the extension to the Eden Project, which I think is normally only a seasonal thing, gets dropped for the winter.

Dave

LAIRA

I didn't see this addressed earlier in the thread - apologies if it has been - but St Germans is served by the 2-hourly 75A Torpoint-Plymouth via Saltash.

I know folk who live in St Germans and they tell me connectivity to Saltash and Liskeard are their main requirements - the 75A would address Saltash and the train service Liskeard and Saltash.
I feel sorry for the residents of St Germans after 4th Sept as the 75A is withdrawn. Only way to reach Saltash or Plymouth will be by train.

RELL6L

It would take some time to go through all the changes made and I am sure that in due course Go Cornwall will tell us!

A few more things I have noticed though (by 'now' I mean from 4 Sept):

The 11 is now hourly Plymouth to Bodmin Parkway, every 30 mins Bodmin Parkway to Wadebridge and hourly from Wadebridge to Padstow. Buses from Plymouth go through to Padstow. But buses from Padstow only go to Bodmin Parkway, you have to wait somewhere for half an hour to go through to Plymouth. The last Padstow departure which allows you to get through to Plymouth (except by train) is the 16.35.
The 96 from Wadebridge to Polzeath to Camelford now then goes back to Bodmin. This may run through from the short 11s at Wadebridge, but it may not.
Given that the 11 has buses (and presumably drivers) from Liskeard and Bodmin this must be very complicated to schedule.
The 11B variation to St Neot is gone, so St Neot will have no service.

The 26 between St Austell and Bodmin now goes via Cornwall Services, Roche and Bugle. So presumably the 29 is being withdrawn, although it doesn't say so. This route covers the 29 also the 89 which is rerouted via St Columb Major. So the 89 now covers Truro-St Columb Major with the 93 being rerouted much more directly, now being quicker than the First 91 between Truro and Newquay. The 89 and 95 clearly look designed to connect at St Columb Major - like in Western Greyhound days, giving Truro-Wadebridge and Newquay-Bodmin options, but it looks very susceptible to breaking down. The 89 will no longer go via St Dennis. The 21 and 25 appear to swap routes between Quintrell Downs and Newquay and the 21 goes back to being simply St Austell to Newquay.

The 74 is virtually killed west of Pensilva with a reduced service on the rest of the route. But the 73 is extended from Liskeard to St Cleer with a full hourly service. The 235 from Callington to Launceston is withdrawn but the 236 is split into a 236 and 237 with the 237 going via Bray Cross.

The 88 seems to run on opposite hours to what it does now during the day and take less time to get from Newquay to Redruth.

The 46 is now only Pool to Camborne and the 47 only runs on Sundays, with an evenings only 48. The new 49 covers Troon-Camborne-Portreath-Redruth, hourly. The new 40 will run hourly Truro to Threemilestone, then 2 hourly to Crofthandy and via St Day to Redruth, plus a two hourly circular from Redruth out via Gwennap to Crofthandy and back via St Day, making an hourly frequency from St Day into Redruth. There's a 36A two hourly between Truro and Frogpool but nothing else covering the current 46 between Redruth and Frogpool, currently hourly!

embers25

Established Member
Constant and quite significant changes in network will not do anything to encourage long term ridership as passengers won't expect their bus to last more than six months and so won't be able to rely on it. The low fares pilot success will surely be massively undermined. The other things is the way the changes are done is that some buses go hourly to nothing whilst others go the other way so even an hourly bus service isn't guaranteed to last more than six months.

farwest

I confess I hadn't thought of 95/89. The problem is surely that it's rather high risk. After all there were many reports of the 95 and 93 failing to connect, but at least the 93 was hourly. Going via Newquay will certainly take longer but there are plenty of Truro connections when you get there. Just a thought.
On college days the best route from Truro to Wadebridge or Padstow is to use the First Kernow 900 or 950. Fairly quick and much better than risking a dodgy connection with the 95.

richw

Veteran Member
Go Cornwall update issued today

Cornwall service changes - September 2022​

Today Tue 2nd Aug 2022

The bus network in Cornwall, along with all other bus networks in England have been reviewed in partnership between operators and local authorities. From Sunday 4th September there will be some changes to buses in Cornwall run by Go Cornwall Bus, as we build a stable network fit for the future.
Covid-19 impacted all public transport, including buses, and Central Government funding has enabled the majority of bus services to be kept in place. However, this funding has now been confirmed as coming to an end in Autumn 2022.
People aren’t using the buses in the same way as they did before the pandemic, and so we’re revising which services are financially viable to make sure we can continue running bus services in the future.
All the journeys passengers make are analysed, so we can be sure we’re putting buses on the routes to suit the greatest number of people we can – this means that some routes will be running more frequently, while others will be reduced. All changes have been made based on evidence of passenger use.
There are some routes which although have seen growth in passenger are still not generating enough money to run them at the current frequency. We have agreed to these some routes more time to grow passenger numbers and revenue. These routes are:
  • Service 21 from St Austell to Newquay
  • Service 22 between Truro, St Dennis and St Austell
  • Service 25 between Fowey, St Austell and Newquay
  • Service 26 from Bodmin to St Austell
These routes will be reviewed again in January 2023, and may need to be revised if the number of passengers does not increase.
The local services around Redruth and Cambourne have been reworked with new route numbers being introduced. Frogpool will no longer have a direct link to Redruth, but Stitians will gain an increased frequency. The section of route between St Day and Truro will be reduced to two hourly. All other destinations are still served to the same level as today.
A list of all the changes is below:
Penzance to Sennen Cove
All journeys operated by Go Cornwall Bus will be withdrawn and operated by Cornwall by Kernow
Penzance to Roscadghill Parc
Will terminate at Penzance Bus Station instead of Sainsbury’s to reduce the number of buses in Sainsbury’s. Services 16 and 16A will provide a through service between the bus station and Sainsbury’s
Penzance to Paul/Sheffield
Service altered to provide alternate journeys via Alexandra Road and Wherrytown
Penzance to St Just
Minor change to incorporate school contract to Cape Cornwall
Service will run via Treneer between the bus station and Drift
Bodmin to Padstow
All journeys have been renumbered Service 11
Plymouth to Wadebridge & Padstow
This service will now run as Service 11 all the way through between Plymouth and Padstow. The timetable has been amended slightly to improve reliability
Services 11, 12 and 72/A provide 3 buses per hour between Plymouth and Saltash (Monday to Saturday)
11B
St Neot
Withdrawn due to low passenger numbers
12/A
Plymouth to Callington and Bude
Hourly service between Plymouth and Callington maintained
Service between Callington and Launceston reduced to 2 hourly
Service between Launceston and Bude maintained at 2 hourly
Services 11, 12 and 72/A provide 3 buses per hour between Plymouth and Saltash (Monday to Saturday)
16/A
Penzance to St Ives
Journeys serving Trythal Community Primary School will no longer run due to lack of passengers
Most journeys will now run through to start or finish at St Ives
Service will connect with Service 3 at Penzance Bus Station to provide a link to Sainsbury’s
Penzance to St Just
Last journey will run 20 minutes later in response to passenger feedback
St Austell to Newquay
Service has been retimed and rerouted. In Newquay, the service will run via Porth and no longer serve Treloggan. Service will end in Newquay Bus Station and no longer run to Pentire Head (see service 59/A)
Services 21, 91 and 95 will provide a 20 minute service between Newquay and St Columb Minor
St Austell - Truro
Timetable has been retimed and now provides a 30 minute service between St Dennis and St Austell with service 21
Fowey - Newquay
Routing of this service in Newquay has been revised. Instead of running through Porth, it will now serve Treloggan and Trenance
Bodmin to St Austell
Service is being routed and retimed to serve Bugle, Stenalees & Roche, replacing Service 29. In addition, in Bodmin it will serve Bodmin Hospital
St Austell to Truro
Evening services reduced due to low passenger numbers
St Austell to Cornwall Services
Route withdrawn. The route will be covered as part of a revised Service 26 timetable
St Austell to Boscoppa
Minor changes, including last journey removed due to low passenger numbers
St Austell - Luxulyan
Current first and last journeys will be operated as Service 28 on a revised timetable (operated by Travel Cornwall)
Lizard to Redruth
Slight changes to accommodate changes to Helston School times
Coverack to Truro
Additional journeys will run between Frogpool and Truro (36A), replacing the current 46
Link between Frogpool and Gwennap Church to Redruth withdrawn to low passenger numbers
37/A
Helston Town
Helston to Camborne
Helston to Camborne
NEW ROUTE 40
Redruth to St Day and Truro
There are significant changes to services in the Camborne and Redruth areas
Service 47 is replaced by service 40 and operates between Truro and Redruth via St Day.
Service will operate 2 hourly between Truro and Redruth and hourly between St Day and Redruth
Evening and Sunday services are reduced due to low passenger numbers
45/A
Camborne Town
Withdrawn and destinations covered by services 36/40/46/48/49
Truro to Frogpool and Camborne
Truro to Redruth, Portreath and Camborne
NEW ROUTE 46
Illogan to Camborne
Hourly service between Illogan, Pool Tesco, Pengegon and Camborne, replacing part of the former Services 46 and 47
Truro to Camborne
Evenings and weekends only. Due to low passenger numbers, this will run between Redruth to Troon via Camborne. Anyone wanting to travel to Truro will be able to take the T1 from Redruth
NEW ROUTE 49
Redruth to Portreath and Camborne
New service operating hourly between Redruth, Portreath, Pool, Camborne and Troon, replacing the existing Service 47
Bodmin to Camelford
This service has been renumbered Service 96 to provide a through route to Wadebridge
The service between St Breward, Wenfordbridge and Michaelstow is being withdrawn due to low passenger numbers
Newquay to Padstow
Only change is all journeys will run a standard route
Newquay Town service
Journeys are retimed to run slightly later
59/A
Newquay – Pentire Head
This service has been amended to continue to Pentire Head. This will provide links between Treloggan Morrisons and the Pentire area of Newquay
70/A
Plymouth to Cremyll
All journeys will run through Great Park in Torpoint, providing a through service to Plymouth without the need to change buses
There will be direct links for students to or from Plymouth travelling beyond Torpoint to Crafthole and Portwrinkle
Plymouth to Polperro
This service will operate a revised timetable for the winter period
This service will no longer serve Hannafore Point, which will be covered by Service 77
72AShort journeys around Saltash will now cover St Stephens because of passenger feedback
Liskeard to Polperro
Service between Polperro and Tregoad via Looe will be returned to an hourly service
Journeys have been extended beyond Liskeard to serve St Cleer, replacing Service 74
Liskeard to Callington
Service has been revised to run from Callington to Pensilva only
Links for students going to and from Liskeard College have been maintained
The section of route between Pensilva and Liskeard will be covered by Services 236/237
Torpoint to Liskeard
Service will run between Torpoint and Liskeard, serving Crafthole, Portwrinkle, Downderry and Seaton, approximately every 2 hours
On arrival at Liskeard there will be a connection to Service 77 providing a through link to Trago Mills
Most journeys on Service 75A linking Torpoint and Saltash via St Germans are being withdrawn due to low passenger numbers. Services running to and from Saltash Community School have been retained
Launceston to Bodmin Parkway
This route was introduced in 2020 as a trial, and due to low passenger numbers will be withdrawn
Looe to Menheniot via Liskeard
This service will end in Liskeard and will not carry on to Menheniot. Due to extremely low passenger numbers Menheniot will no longer be served
This route will run via Hannafore Point to replace service 72
79/A
Callington to Tavistock
Additional journeys running direct between Callington and Tavistock have been introduced following requests from passengers. This service will be reviewed if passenger numbers do not increase
Newquay to Truro
Timetable has been slightly retimed to improve reliability
88/S
Redruth - Newquay
Service 88S has been renamed Service 88, and will cover the same route with some minor variations.
Bodmin to Truro
Route has been revised and will not go through Roche and St Dennis due to low passenger numbers. There will be a faster route through Summercourt, Victoria and St Columb Major
Roche and St Dennis will be covered by Services 21 and 26
Truro, St Columb Major and Newquay
Withdrawn and replaced with new Service 93. St Columb Major will be covered by Service 95
NEW ROUTE 93
Truro, Mitchel, Quintrell Downs and Newquay
The fastest public transport link between Newquay and Truro. Will also provide a new link between Truro and Dairyland during the day
Evening services (93E) will continue to include Fraddon, Indian Queens and St Columb Road
With Service 91, this will provide a 30 minute service between Mitchel and Truro
Bude to Tintagel
Seasonal service withdrawn, but areas covered by Service 95
Bude to Newquay
Will run via Crackington Haven to replace Service 94 and will extend from St Columb Major to Newquay
Improved connections at St Columb Major for Service 89 to Truro
Replaces evening service 93 between Newquay and St Columb Major
This service, with Services 21 and 91, will provide a 20 minute service between Newquay and St Columb Minor
Wadebridge to Camelford
96 will now only operate between Wadebridge, Camelford and onto Bodmin, replacing Service 55
Journeys between Camelford and Launceston are renumbered 97
Camelford to Launceston
New service number to replace Service 96 from Camelford to Launceston
Callington to Launceston
This was a trial route and will be withdrawn due to low passenger numbers. Passengers can still use Service 237
Liskeard to Launceston
Revised route between Liskeard and Upton Cross. All journeys via North Hill
Saturday service between Liskeard and Pensilva is replacing Service 74
Most journeys will run via Darite and Pensilva replacing Service 74
No service to Bathpool as no passengers used this part of the route
237This service covers areas around Rilla Mill, Linkinhorne & Coads Green replacing Service 236 and providing links to Launceston and Liskeard
Launceston to North Petherwin and Alturnun
Returned to previous timetable due to passenger feedback

The new timetables will be available on our website soon.
A new all-in-one timetable book, which will include all local bus services in Cornwall, along with a handy network map will be available online by 20th August and printed copies will be distributed by 4th September 2022.

Andyh82

Established Member
Is the 93 tendered, because I can’t see how a subsidised service can promote ‘the fastest route Truro to Newquay’ deliberately extracting passengers from the Kernow 91?

richw

Veteran Member
Is the 93 tendered, because I can’t see how a subsidised service can promote ‘the fastest route Truro to Newquay’ deliberately extracting passengers from the Kernow 91?
I wonder if it could potentially affect the commercial viability of the 91 if people move to the new faster option.

Andyh82

Established Member
Best part of that for me is the promise to provide a printed 'all-in-one' timetable book.
Indeed, that sounds interesting. I wonder if they will keep it DL size or maybe move it to A5 like it was pre-TFC, as an all in one book DL size with a gummed edge would be quite a chunky publication

Goldfish62

Established Member
Best part of that for me is the promise to provide a printed 'all-in-one' timetable book.
Agreed. I don't like the three separate books. Yes, the West one is available on buses around Penzance, but the mid and East ones are like gold dust.