• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Golden Arrow diversion via Maidstone and Folkestone1966

Status
Not open for further replies.

Czesziafan

Somewhere in my distant memory is an illustration from a railway magazine of the mid 70's which featured a class 73 hauling the down Golden Arrow with a caption stating the motive power was unusual and that the train was on that day diverted via Maidstone East and terminated at Folkestone Harbour, and I am pretty sure it said it was in 1966.

Does anyone have this picture, or know where I can find it please?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Doesn't ring a bell, sorry - was it perhaps in an article have coincided with the withdrawal of the service in 1972?
A 73 would have been unusual but not a weekend diversion through Maidstone East, and the Arrow had spells of using Folkestone in one direction depending to the ferry timetables.

Czesziafan

I think the publication was an Ian Allen softback about the SECR section of the Southern, rather than the Arrow per se. Would have been in about 1974/5.

Veteran Member
I think the publication was an Ian Allen softback about the SECR section of the Southern, rather than the Arrow per se. Would have been in about 1974/5.
They revived the Trains Illustrated title in the 70s
The SECR society website suggests it is TI 16 "The SECR" of 1975 - I don't know if that's any help.

Status
Not open for further replies.