• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Go North East

cnjb8

Established Member
The streetdecks were due late last year with 31 due but it is ‘believed’ that 9 will go to Oxford with one of the green X lines already there with pictures on the Oxford Chiltern page ( https://www.oxford-chiltern-bus-page.co.uk/Weekly nr 107 050620.html ).

With the recent loss of some brands I personally don’t think it’s a bad idea. Since 2019 Go North East has been introducing a new livery with a standard design for all brands which makes it more recognisable as a Go North East vehicle.
Looks like Oxford Bus Company and Thames Travel have taken in those 9 StreetDecks. I think GNE are getting some coaches in return

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andyh82

Established Member
As it says in the article, GNE are getting some of the ex-X90 coaches

They will be used on the X9/X10 and as a result it will be no longer departing from Eldon Square bus station

NewcastleOne

As it says in the article, GNE are getting some of the ex-X90 coaches

They will be used on the X9/X10 and as a result it will be no longer departing from Eldon Square bus station
Go North East will be getting coaches 72-78.

Megafuss

All things being well I think the Panther LE would be ideal for the X9/X10.

But in these uncertain times the ex X90 coaches are fine vehicles themselves.

I do wonder how they will cope with the turning circle at Dalton Park. I also wonder if they'll move to the Express stops at Middlesbrough

NewcastleOne

I do wonder how they will cope with the turning circle at Dalton Park. I also wonder if they'll move to the Express stops at Middlesbrough
Believe they will cope fine at Dalton park. The Panther le from what i gather did fine when it was up here.

darloscott

Panther LE's would be far too small, indeed I have a feeling that even with a reduction in travel these Interdeck's may struggle at times. There are times the X9/X10 have to be duped from Peterlee due to loadings, especially coming towards Christmas. May be fine this year mind.

MotCO

Established Member
Are the Interdecks replacing the Geminis on a one-for-one basis, or is there an improved frequency to reflect the reduction in the number of seats? I would have thought that passenegers on an express limted stop operation would appreciate the extra comfort of a coach.

darloscott

Are the Interdecks replacing the Geminis on a one-for-one basis, or is there an improved frequency to reflect the reduction in the number of seats? I would have thought that passenegers on an express limted stop operation would appreciate the extra comfort of a coach.
Same timetable, so one for one replacement - 7 coaches for 7 B5 Geminis

cnjb8

Established Member
Panther LE's would be far too small, indeed I have a feeling that even with a reduction in travel these Interdeck's may struggle at times. There are times the X9/X10 have to be duped from Peterlee due to loadings, especially coming towards Christmas. May be fine this year mind.
Dupes can still be done to be fair

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

Far too small, the Panther LE seats 53 compared to 74 on the Geminis.

I think the interdecks will be ok, they're only a few seats down on the Geminis, but it'll be close if/when things get back to normal.

Martijn Gilbert says they'll still have the B5 Geminis and the 6-cylinder Streetdeck as spares.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th
Far too small, the Panther LE seats 53 compared to 74 on the Geminis.

I think the interdecks will be ok, they're only a few seats down on the Geminis, but it'll be close if/when things get back to normal.

Martijn Gilbert says they'll still have the B5 Geminis and the 6-cylinder Streetdeck as spares.

Interesting move. Whilst the X9 began life with coaches not too many years ago, it's been a long time (c.1986) since the X10 had coaches (rather than coach seat bus shell deckers) rostered for it.

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Interesting move. Whilst the X9 began life with coaches not too many years ago

The X9 had coaches because GNE had a load of ex-NatEx coaches lying around they couldn't do anything else with. A few routes got them, including the Red Arrows.

And this is the same, really. Nowhere else to use some expensive kit.

I actually think it'll be a good use of the Elite i and it might even stop the X9/X10 burning through buses every three years.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
The X9 had coaches because GNE had a load of ex-NatEx coaches lying around they couldn't do anything else with. A few routes got them, including the Red Arrows.

And this is the same, really. Nowhere else to use some expensive kit.

I actually think it'll be a good use of the Elite i and it might even stop the X9/X10 burning through buses every three years.

Yeah, I remember that the X9 was a way of redeploying some 7 year old Nat Ex coaches for a few years (before they became trainers) and developing a service at a relatively low cost. Of course, it was something that was quite commonplace once upon a time when bus companies had coaching units/NX commitments etc and needed to redeploy them (and before leasing became more prevalent).

The X10 first got deckers in 1984 when it was jointly run by United and Northern, interworking with the X1. United first introduced a couple of Olympians. Northern then had 4 Olympians delivered in 1985, but they were moved out in favour of Metrobuses the next year whilst United put another 3 Olympians and that was it for some years, though with slightly newer Olympians until Go Ahead took the X10 in entirety.

I forget what it's had in that time (late model Olympians, Spectras, B9TLs, B5LHs) but certainly this move is quite interesting. Just hope that five years of flogging up the M40 hasn't tired the Elites out too much, and if I get to travel on another bus again for pleasure and/or make it back to my native north, would certainly look forward to a spin out on one!

fgwrich

Established Member
I agree that perhaps not most brands. Some of the ones were certainly less successful - Pronto was not great and the East Durham one (before IndiGo) was a bit naff too. Route 19 was especially bland. https://www.flickr.com/photos/77751...iw-paup4E-xFTzqc-TgGHDz-2iT9N6y-TeisEf-KhyvQP

Also, there was a branding for everything and it needed to be taken back a little.

Coming back to the branding argument for a moment (apologies, I missed it when the thread was created), I have to agree. Go North East was a good example of when is too much, too much? It doesn't look like a cohesive single company when you have branding and different liveries for each and every route you operate. The X-Lines branding goes some way to introduce a smart coherent livery across GNE and the feeling of it actually being one large operator, than many, many operators across Newcastle and the North East. Personally I feel First Kernow & Reading Buses (another Gilbert connection of course) has hit the nail on the head with this perfectly, with the difference being different colours and route branding across a smart template livery.

For some reason, Route Branding seems to be something Go-Ahead seems to love across it's subsidiary's, be it at Bluestar / More & Salisbury (still a stupid name split in my opinion), or Brighton, or Plymouth etc...

Andyh82

Established Member
They didn’t brand ‘each and every’ route

There were a few occasions when they branded something obscure like the 67/69 and the X25, but most were either major inter urban links, or frequent urban routes or small town networks, which were all justified

Obviously what they do in Reading is completely different as they like Nottingham are a city operator, Go North East’s network is different.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
For some reason, Route Branding seems to be something Go-Ahead seems to love across it's subsidiary's, be it at Bluestar / More & Salisbury (still a stupid name split in my opinion), or Brighton, or Plymouth etc...

The approach they take in Oxford is much more like Reading though - the city routes have one unified brand with different colours for different routes. The Oxford Brookes and Park and Ride services are branded differently but presumably this is for contractual reasons. The only route there with a unique branding, in the mould of the Go North East approach, is the trunk route between Oxford and Reading.

That said, I like route branding. I grew up in the heart of Go North East's territory and I found their network much more appealing than the bland offerings of Arriva and Stagecoach, where every route looked the same! Provided it's clear that the different brands are run by the same company, and they aren't too outlandish (the Magic Roundabout springs to mind), I think they draw the attention of potential passengers. The new X-Lines look really slick - to the extent that if one passed me in a traffic jam during my commute I'd probably want to know more!

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
They didn’t brand ‘each and every’ route

There were a few occasions when they branded something obscure like the 67/69 and the X25, but most were either major inter urban links, or frequent urban routes or small town networks, which were all justified

The ones that weren't branded were generally schools and works services in the 7**, 8** and 9***. Even stuff like the 34 became the Lambton Worm. Many services came under a mini network banner like North Tyne Links, Street Shuttle or East Durham but it was Peter Huntley's aim that all routes that could be branded, were branded. Sadly by the time they reached Route 19, the ideas bank was exhausted :D

Andyh82

Established Member
Route 19 predated the branding scheme did it not, one of the early ones that was just applied on standard livery

You can’t say the ideas ran out, when it was one of the first

GNE later properly branded it as the Cobalt Connect

Anvil1984

Established Member
Route 19 predated the branding scheme did it not, one of the early ones that was just applied on standard livery

IIRC Route 19 started as a branding of the R19 bus (today’s 19) back in about 2004 when I was working near one of the trading estates. It had a decent livery to start but that got downgraded to the plain white (red in later years)

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member

Fair call - I was recalling the all white livery that looked like it was some vinyls applied onto dealer stock rather than the earlier scheme.

Anvil1984

Established Member
Fair call - I was recalling the all white livery that looked like it was some vinyls applied onto dealer stock rather than the earlier scheme.

I think after a while "Route 19" just started to get given hand me downs from other routes and less effort was being put in livery wise. That was definitely a comedown from the first livery to the white one. Just my opinion though

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member

Route 19 started with great fanfare, tied in to the opening of Northumberland Park metro station and an increase in development at Cobalt and Silverlink. Brand new buses, a smart livery, and bus stop flags also carrying the branding. Clearly the planning funding ran out a few years later, the brand new Eclipses went elsewhere, replaced by older Darts with a small brand applied, some of which were in all-over red or white. 16 years on, the original Eclipses are back :lol:

I can't think of much they didn't brand up, to be honest.

NorthOxonian

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches

NewcastleOne

Update
The Brand New E400s and Streetdecks have started to arrive.
So far at Consett there’s 8 BN ADL E400 MMC and 2 Wright Streetdecks, Out of an order for 15 ADL E400s and 22 Streetdecks. All are for the X-Lines services
BN ADL E400s will go on the Consett services X30/31/70/71 while some will go on the Hexham services X84/85
The Wright Streetdecks will go on the Consett X45/46/47(6) and Washington X1(15). The 6cl will most likely go to Riverside although has been said to be going on different services as a trial.
This Streetdeck is the ‘spare’ Charcoal X Lines livery could the 6cl vehicle. (Yet to be confirmed)
Credit Stealth 5307,5332

The X45/46/47 will also take the Streetdecks from the X21 which are getting the Gemini 3s from X9/10 which are being replaced by Ex Oxford Elites which are due in September. The X21 branded Streetdecks are (6304-6307,6331-6333)
6331&6332 have already been sent to Consett from Chester Le Street with Ex Demos 6334&6335 arriving for new life at CLE.
6331 on X21
Credit Kieron Mathews
6331 on X45
Credit Kieron Mathews
Note 6331 previously had been on the Angel 21 but along with 6332&6333 was repainted into X-Lines. These were technically the Spares the 21 so when X21 became the x lines X21 these were repaint for the X21 with 6301-6303 (16 Regs) being the spare vehicles for both the 21&X21 (This was a while ago and not recent).

The Gemini 3s were sent to Blackburn to be repainted due to lack of space at GNE Saltmeadows workshop.
The X9/10 is currently being served by Gemini 2s from other reduced services until drivers are trained on Levante coaches which will operate the services until the Elite coaches arrive from down South.
The Gemini 3s repaint (6314)
Credit Stealth 5307,5332
6314 before repaint
Credit emdjt42

The 8 MMC 400s delivered are (6341,6342
,6345,6346,6347,6349,6350,6551) with the 2 Streetdecks numbered 6356&6359

6350 in service today

6359 in service today
Credit A&LSP8

A Washington Streetdecks has just been photographed at Saltmeadows today
Credit NE14NE1

Consett is seeing its services upgraded due to regeneration in the area with its local Venture services getting a repaint as seen in another post. (Solos 641/643/644&645 have re
The B9TLs from Consett services are due to go on the 26/27 temporally until Washington’s Streetdecks arrive which will go on the 26/27 full time. The B9TLs at Consett which are Ex London and Dealer stock are due to go on other services with the 93/94 mentioned. It was planned pre COVID that 6118-6121 (Ex Dealer stock) Gemini 2s to go to East Yorkshire although not sure that’s the case.

The Yuthong Electrics for the 53/54 (9) are due in the Month from China before going to Pelican and arriving in October/November.

probably missed some things out but that’s some of the recent up North.

cnjb8

Established Member
Update
The Brand New E400s and Streetdecks have started to arrive.
So far at Consett there’s 8 BN ADL E400 MMC and 2 Wright Streetdecks, Out of an order for 15 ADL E400s and 22 Streetdecks. All are for the X-Lines services
BN ADL E400s will go on the Consett services X30/31/70/71 while some will go on the Hexham services X84/85
The Wright Streetdecks will go on the Consett X45/46/47(6) and Washington X1(15). The 6cl will most likely go to Riverside although has been said to be going on different services as a trial.
This Streetdeck is the ‘spare’ Charcoal X Lines livery could the 6cl vehicle. (Yet to be confirmed)
Credit Stealth 5307,5332

The X45/46/47 will also take the Streetdecks from the X21 which are getting the Gemini 3s from X9/10 which are being replaced by Ex Oxford Elites which are due in September. The X21 branded Streetdecks are (6304-6307,6331-6333)
6331&6332 have already been sent to Consett from Chester Le Street with Ex Demos 6334&6335 arriving for new life at CLE.
6331 on X21
Credit Kieron Mathews
6331 on X45
Credit Kieron Mathews
Note 6331 previously had been on the Angel 21 but along with 6332&6333 was repainted into X-Lines. These were technically the Spares the 21 so when X21 became the x lines X21 these were repaint for the X21 with 6301-6303 (16 Regs) being the spare vehicles for both the 21&X21 (This was a while ago and not recent).

The Gemini 3s were sent to Blackburn to be repainted due to lack of space at GNE Saltmeadows workshop.
The X9/10 is currently being served by Gemini 2s from other reduced services until drivers are trained on Levante coaches which will operate the services until the Elite coaches arrive from down South.
The Gemini 3s repaint (6314)
Credit Stealth 5307,5332
6314 before repaint
Credit emdjt42

The 8 MMC 400s delivered are (6341,6342
,6345,6346,6347,6349,6350,6551) with the 2 Streetdecks numbered 6356&6359

6350 in service today

6359 in service today
Credit A&LSP8

A Washington Streetdecks has just been photographed at Saltmeadows today
Credit NE14NE1

Consett is seeing its services upgraded due to regeneration in the area with its local Venture services getting a repaint as seen in another post. (Solos 641/643/644&645 have re
The B9TLs from Consett services are due to go on the 26/27 temporally until Washington’s Streetdecks arrive which will go on the 26/27 full time. The B9TLs at Consett which are Ex London and Dealer stock are due to go on other services with the 93/94 mentioned. It was planned pre COVID that 6118-6121 (Ex Dealer stock) Gemini 2s to go to East Yorkshire although not sure that’s the case.

The Yuthong Electrics for the 53/54 (9) are due in the Month from China before going to Pelican and arriving in October/November.

probably missed some things out but that’s some of the recent up North.
The charcoal StreetDeck is the second to last one if the fleetnumbers correlate and I've done my maths correctly, so I think the last StreetDeck numerically is the 6cl one.

Four Brighton & Hove deckers are due on loan apparently.

Eyersey468

Established Member
As far as I am aware 6118-21 are still coming to East Yorkshire though I'm not sure when, I'm told EY will be painting them instead of being done before they come down here.