• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Good simulator games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

prod_pep

Established Member
I'm at a similar place to be honest. I gave up Train Sim Classic which (despite its imperfections) I had enjoyed for many years, to move to TSW. I also can't really recommend the TSW series for the reasons you mentioned, and it just doesn't really feel 'right' to me either, too game-y perhaps and as you say lacking atmosphere. The obsession with EMU routes also doesn't sit well with me and many of the other routes lack appropriate rolling stock to be realistic. It was a lot of 3rd-party developer's (such as Armstrong Powerhouse) hard work that made TS Classic a game worth playing, but with TSW; Dovetail have frozen the developers out so it will never really improve enough to be worth playing. I also liked editing, creating and playing my own scenarios too, which you also can't really do with TSW.
All very true. The lacking atmosphere isn't helped by the complete lack of variety in passenger appearance and the sounds aren't great: off-key and far too quiet in the 313 and 314 units for one. I know how difficult it can be to produce accurate sounds, but given the high prices the DLC routes command, it ought to be better.

One other problem with the developers themselves is their general attitude which, to be blunt, comes across as smug and conceited. During the run-up to the Cathcart Circle route's release, I watched a few of their live streams and they don't come across at all well, especially the one with the pink headphones.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WizCastro197

Established Member
Sorry probably not much help

TSW3 Easily best SIM out there
No it definitely isn’t.

Lack of creativity, apart from ‘Creators Club’ lack of atmosphere etc

So many more are better.

All very true. The lacking atmosphere isn't helped by the complete lack of variety in passenger appearance and the sounds aren't great: off-key and far too quiet in the 313 and 314 units for one. I know how difficult it can be to produce accurate sounds, but given the high prices the DLC routes command, it ought to be better.

One other problem with the developers themselves is their general attitude which, to be blunt, comes across as smug and conceited. During the run-up to the Cathcart Circle route's release, I watched a few of their live streams and they don't come across at all well, especially the one with the pink headphones.
I agree, the vibe in their streams seems so monotonous and melancholy. I mean in simpler terms, their streams just lack an exciting element and are a little boring.

that1pepfan

On Moderation
No it definitely isn’t.

Lack of creativity, apart from ‘Creators Club’ lack of atmosphere etc

So many more are better.

I agree, the vibe in their streams seems so monotonous and melancholy. I mean in simpler terms, their streams just lack an exciting element and are a little boring.

I'd say it's the most detailed by far

that1pepfan

On Moderation
Honestly should’ve had lighting changes in that one rather than TSW3

Also what’s the point in releasing a new game every 2 years despite there not being a major difference between the two?
There is tbh - completely brand new UI and Brand new Training Centre

gswindale

There is tbh - completely brand new UI and Brand new Training Centre
I seem to recall that TS had UI changes between versions.

Intrigued by TSW3 and Cross City - it's always been a line I've had a soft spot for, but from comments here not sure! Would need to see some screenshot from real users.

Also always disappointed when releases are simple A-B rather than a network of routes.

My all-time favourite MSTS "routes" were Dorset Coast, NWE3 and BrisCard because they allowed for a lot of variety.

william.martin

On Moderation
Sorry probably not much help

TSW3 Easily best SIM out there
It is more of a game than a sim, it is good if you want to go wizzing around and finding collectables before jumping on a train and going where you please or indeed drive it.

If you are looking for a more detailed simulation It would not be my first recommendation, at this stage TSW3 isn't worth the money if you have TSW2.
The only differences are:
•Home page.
•Improved graphics + weather.
•New starter routes.
•Implementation of "training centre."

that1pepfan

On Moderation
It is more of a game than a sim, it is good if you want to go wizzing around and finding collectables before jumping on a train and going where you please or indeed drive it.

If you are looking for a more detailed simulation It would not be my first recommendation, at this stage TSW3 isn't worth the money if you have TSW2.
The only differences are:
•Home page.
•Improved graphics + weather.
•New starter routes.
•Implementation of "training centre."
It has more of a timetable unlike TSC

365 Networker

I bought the Cross City Starter pack and in my opinion, it is one of the best add-ons that DTG have produced - the sounds and physics are excellent - easily matching AP standards. It is also the first TSW route that I have used for more than 20 minutes without getting bored. It is not perfect - there are some issues with the scenery, the 323 only allows DOO when it should be guard operated and there is a lack of other services at New Street - 350s, 170s and 390s for example. I also still believe that Train Simulator Classic is the better simulator due to the third-party content, the ability for anyone to build routes and high quality of add-ons such as the AP products. Until DTG release a third-party editor for Train Sim World, it will never replace Train Simulator Classic.

WizCastro197

Established Member
I bought the Cross City Starter pack and in my opinion, it is one of the best add-ons that DTG have produced - the sounds and physics are excellent - easily matching AP standards. It is also the first TSW route that I have used for more than 20 minutes without getting bored. It is not perfect - there are some issues with the scenery, the 323 only allows DOO when it should be guard operated and there is a lack of other services at New Street - 350s, 170s and 390s for example. I also still believe that Train Simulator Classic is the better simulator due to the third-party content, the ability for anyone to build routes and high quality of add-ons such as the AP products. Until DTG release a third-party editor for Train Sim World, it will never replace Train Simulator Classic.
Xbox sounds are awfully distorted and don’t sound good at all. They say they’d fix that yet it has been a year.

A station as large as new street does look empty when it’s just one train. It feels strange.

365 Networker

Xbox sounds are awfully distorted and don’t sound good at all. They say they’d fix that yet it has been a year.

A station as large as new street does look empty when it’s just one train. It feels strange.
Yes - it is odd, for example not hearing the distinctive rumble of the voyagers. There are definitely core issues with the sound system in TSW - I did notice that when entering New Street, all train sounds disappear. I also noticed that joint sounds disappear above 30mph - a problem which does seem to have persisted since the beginning of TSW. I remember reading that this was due to a lack of available sound channels in the Unreal engine that the simulator uses.

WizCastro197

Established Member
Yes - it is odd, for example not hearing the distinctive rumble of the voyagers. There are definitely core issues with the sound system in TSW - I did notice that when entering New Street, all train sounds disappear. I also noticed that joint sounds disappear above 30mph - a problem which does seem to have persisted since the beginning of TSW. I remember reading that this was due to a lack of available sound channels in the Unreal engine that the simulator uses.
TSW2020 was probably the better one of all three, it was a lot more 'immersive', interesting scenarios which seem to have been lost in TSW2

prod_pep

Established Member
I had a go at TSW3 and the Cross-City Line this weekend on a friend's PC, and it seems reasonable despite plenty of faults. Offering it as a TSW3 starter pack is actually somewhat tempting, as I have little interest in any of the TSW3 default routes, including the Southeastern Extended cop-out.

A few observations: there were occasional stutters even on a high-end gaming PC, par for the course on the PS4 version to which I'm accustomed but disappointing on a much more powerful machine; the 323 sounds are OK - better than the TS Classic debacle - but the later gear changes and when braking still sound wrong; Birmingham New Street suffers the Glasgow Central problem in that it is far too empty and thus an atmosphere vacuum. The passenger balances are miles off: on a peak run, University was virtually empty but Duddeston, one of the lesser used stations on the route, was positively heaving against the peak direction.

Despite the upgrade to TSW3, there is still no guard operation, and the tawdry Training "Center" betrays the game going predictably American. Couldn't they have chosen a better voice for the training, though? Her enunciation is appalling.

One annoying problem that seems to affect every TSW route I play: why does the door closing button (and T-key animation in the case of the 323) play over and over again until the doors shut? It's a really silly bug, and Dovetail being Dovetail, it doesn't get sorted.

WizCastro197

Established Member
I had a go at TSW3 and the Cross-City Line this weekend on a friend's PC, and it seems reasonable despite plenty of faults. Offering it as a TSW3 starter pack is actually somewhat tempting, as I have little interest in any of the TSW3 default routes, including the Southeastern Extended cop-out.

A few observations: there were occasional stutters even on a high-end gaming PC, par for the course on the PS4 version to which I'm accustomed but disappointing on a much more powerful machine; the 323 sounds are OK - better than the TS Classic debacle - but the later gear changes and when braking still sound wrong; Birmingham New Street suffers the Glasgow Central problem in that it is far too empty and thus an atmosphere vacuum. The passenger balances are miles off: on a peak run, University was virtually empty but Duddeston, one of the lesser used stations on the route, was positively heaving against the peak direction.

Despite the upgrade to TSW3, there is still no guard operation, and the tawdry Training "Center" betrays the game going predictably American. Couldn't they have chosen a better voice for the training, though? Her enunciation is appalling.

One annoying problem that seems to affect every TSW route I play: why does the door closing button (and T-key animation in the case of the 323) play over and over again until the doors shut? It's a really silly bug, and Dovetail being Dovetail, it doesn't get sorted.
It’s a persistent problem with TSW3 where passengers will get off at the first insignificant station. ie. Decided to Drive a Portsmouth to London Victoria service and by Clapham, not a single person was on my train, so much for 'Rush Hour' at it was at 8:00 as well. I get that East Croydon and Gatwick are 'significant' but there was another issue where a Brighton to Victoria service, was completely emptied at Hassocks?

That problem in the last paragraph seems to happen to me on the Bakerloo line. Do you mean the door interlock button keeps making the sound of you pressing it?

prod_pep

Established Member
That problem in the last paragraph seems to happen to me on the Bakerloo line. Do you mean the door interlock button keeps making the sound of you pressing it?
Yes, exactly that. Affects the Cathcart Circle, East Coastway, London Commuter and I'm fairly sure the Great Western routes as well as the Cross-City Line, where you have the 'bonus' of seeing the T-key animate repeatedly.

Status
Not open for further replies.