• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Got a letter from thameslink about notice of prosecution

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prince yeboah

My intention was to find the best route to get to Oakland’s college in welwyn garden city as we had no idea where to go we did not want to be late for college, we was coming from Luton train station the lady at the train station stated that we should go with the maps but get a ticket to St. Albans so we paid for the ticket to st Albans but when we got on to the train we saw on google maps that st pancreas was the quickest route. So that’s why we got off and then saw the guy we told him our intentions was to find the best route to college and we was prepared to pay any fines. However he asked us if we had money to buy a ticket and we did so he let us buy a ticket from st pancreas to welwyn garden city we sincerely apologize for this there was no intention in deliberately getting off the wrong stop we just wanted to find the best route to get to college.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
What does the letter say? You could upload a photo with your personal details redacted.
Where, exactly, were you stopped at St Pancras?
When (approximate date and time) did the incident happen?
What does "go with the maps" mean - which maps?

(Part of my reason for asking is that I cannot get Googlemaps to show the route via London except on a Saturday, and even then it isn't the fastest.)

Prince yeboah

The letter says notice of prosecution. It happened on 10 September and I got admission to Oakland’s college Welwyn garden city. I decided to go check the school out to know the distance I’m travelling to college everyday and that was my first time going the college. On my google map showed me to take a train from Luton to St Albans, when I got to St Albans then the map redirected me to st pancreas station so I decided to stay in the train and I had enough money to pay for my fare. I was on thameslink train and when I got to st pancreas I was stopped by an officer then I explained to him and he asked if I have enough money to pay for my next train fare at kings cross to Welwyn garden city which I did. I got the letter today

This the letter I got today

Second part of the letter

Attachments

• 6F242C21-F281-4307-8689-BF8E5E753422.jpeg
    6F242C21-F281-4307-8689-BF8E5E753422.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 238
  • 71989EB5-167B-400D-BA16-033677B5D78D.jpeg
    71989EB5-167B-400D-BA16-033677B5D78D.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 208
Last edited:

Kilopylae

I'm a bit confused. You wanted to travel from Luton to Welwyn Garden City, and so you were advised to purchase a ticket from Luton to St. Albans City?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm a little bit confused.

You were making a journey from Luton to Welwyn Garden City
The ticket office at Luton told you to travel to St Albans (and get the bus to WGC from there?)
You actually travelled via London and were caught at St Pancras as you exited the station.

Can you confirm this is what happened?

Exactly what ticket did you have? Was it a ticket from Luton to St Albans? Or was it a ticket from Luton to Welwyn Garden City?

If it was a ticket from Luton to Welwyn Garden City there are two tickets you can use. One is routed 'Hatfield/Albans Bus' the other is routed 'Any Permitted'. You need any Any Permitted ticket to travel via London.

In order to offer correct advice it is important to know exactly what ticket you had.

furlong

Established Member
The ticket you held is crucial information. Did you show the ticket at St Pancras? Also did you take exactly one train that stopped at St. Albans but you stayed on it to St. Pancras? And your age - are you under 18 and if so how far away is your 18th birthday? Notice that the offence the letter seems to allege is on entering the train i.e. an offence committed at Luton, but you say here that you didn't decide to travel beyond St Albans until after that time - did you tell the inspector the same?

Last edited:

Prince yeboah

It started this way, I wanted to get to oaklands college Welwyn garden I live in houghton regis and that’s my first time travelling to Welwyn garden. So I searched on my google map and showed me to purchase a ticket to St Albans but later on that same map showed me to get of at st pancreas so I did with a St Albans ticket. When I get to st pancreas I tried using the ticket I purchase to enter st pancreas and was denied so the inspector approached and I explained everything to him and he showed me to go to kings cross to get a train to Welwyn garden city. My first time travelling by train. I move from Africa not long ago. I’m 19 years of age

Traveline suggests there's a direct hourly bus connecting the two places. Pity the OP wasn't better informed.
I found out the bus time when I started college and the time I went there was off college so bus were not working
I'm a bit confused. You wanted to travel from Luton to Welwyn Garden City, and so you were advised to purchase a ticket from Luton to St. Albans City?
yeah please

The ticket you held is crucial information. Did you show the ticket at St Pancras? Also did you take exactly one train that stopped at St. Albans but you stayed on it to St. Pancras? And your age - are you under 18 and if so how far away is your 18th birthday? Notice that the offence the letter seems to allege is on entering the train i.e. an offence committed at Luton, but you say here that you didn't decide to travel beyond St Albans until after that time - did you tell the inspector the same?
Yeah I showed the ticket at st pancreas and i took only one train

It started this way, I wanted to get to oaklands college Welwyn garden I live in houghton regis and that’s my first time travelling to Welwyn garden. So I searched on my google map and showed me to purchase a ticket to St Albans but later on that same map showed me to get of at st pancreas so I did with a St Albans ticket. When I get to st pancreas I tried using the ticket I purchase to enter st pancreas and was denied so the inspector approached and I explained everything to him and he showed me to go to kings cross to get a train to Welwyn garden city. My first time travelling by train. I move from Africa not long ago. I’m 19 years of age

I found out the bus time when I started college and the time I went there was off college so bus were not working

yeah please

Yeah I showed the ticket at st pancreas and i took only one train
Yeah I did tell the inspector what happened

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
So you held a rail ticket from Luton to St Albans. Why did you think your ticket would be valid to stay on the train beyond St Albans?

It is very important that you reply to the letter. I suggest writing a short, concise response apologising for what happened and saying what you have learned from the incident. Say that you are keen to settle the matter without resorting to legal action and that you are prepared to pay the outstanding fare plus the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter. Don't write a rambling letter full of excuses, they will have heard it all before - keep it brief.

Most train companies will offer to settle out of court in you haven't come to their attention before. This typically costs around £100 plus the outstanding fare (although exact amounts do vary considerably). While this might feel like a fine it isn't - only a court can impose a fine.

Prince yeboah

So you held a rail ticket from Luton to St Albans. Why did you think your ticket would be valid to stay on the train beyond St Albans?

It is very important that you reply to the letter. I suggest writing a short, concise response apologising for what happened and saying what you have learned from the incident. Say that you are keen to settle the matter without resorting to legal action and that you are prepared to pay the outstanding fare plus the train company's administrative costs in dealing with the matter. Don't write a rambling letter full of excuses, they will have heard it all before - keep it brief.

Most train companies will offer to settle out of court in you haven't come to their attention before. This typically costs around £100 plus the outstanding fare (although exact amounts do vary considerably). While this might feel like a fine it isn't - only a court can impose a fine.
This is my first incident

Please can you help me how to go about it I’m very nervous and ignorant

Last edited by a moderator:

JBuchananGB

Although it doesn't help with the penalty for getting lost on the way from Luton to Welwyn Garden City, it would seem that the best way to achieve that objective doesn't involve a train at all, rather then number 366 bus which departs Luton Station Interchange at 12.22 and arrives at the College Campus in in WGC at 13.15.

Veteran Member
Just to say that the worst that can happen, if they do not agree to settle out of court, is that you will receive a fine (not a prison sentence!).
From the wording of page 2 of the letter, if this happens they are likely to charge you with an offence under the Railway Byelaws which is "non-recordable" so it should not give you a criminal record.

Prince yeboah

Just to say that the worst that can happen, if they do not agree to settle out of court, is that you will receive a fine (not a prison sentence!).
From the wording of page 2 of the letter, if this happens they are likely to charge you with an offence under the Railway Byelaws which is "non-recordable" so it should not give you a criminal record.
I’m really nervous

I’m really nervous
Can you help me on how to go about it

Umaru barrie 1

Hello I’m writing regarding the incident on the 10th of September regarding myself and my Freind coming off the train at the wrong stop, firstly I wanted to apologize about that we wasn’t intending to do any problems we just wanted to find the quickest route to college so we was not late

furlong

Established Member
It's subtle, but if you held a valid ticket when entering the train as you say you did, and you showed them your ticket at St Pancras, that could make a successful prosecution along the lines they mention in the letter quite a challenge for them, unless you said something incriminating at St Pancras which you haven't mentioned (or realised). I.e, you seem to be suggesting that on entering the train, you had a valid ticket for the entire rail journey you intended to make at that time (as required); and at St Pancras you showed your ticket (also as required). But there are other laws they could reasonably try to use if you put the ticket into the barrier at St. Pancras instead of first approaching them and asking to pay the extra.

Prince yeboah

It's subtle, but if you held a valid ticket when entering the train as you say you did, and you showed them your ticket at St Pancras, that could make a successful prosecution along the lines they mention in the letter quite a challenge for them, unless you said something incriminating at St Pancras which you haven't mentioned (or realised). I.e, you seem to be suggesting that on entering the train, you had a valid ticket for the entire rail journey you intended to make at that time (as required); and at St Pancras you showed your ticket (also as required). But there are other laws they could reasonably try to use if you put the ticket into the barrier at St. Pancras instead of first approaching them and asking to pay the extra.
So what do you suggest I do because I bought a ticket from Luton to St Albans but I stopped in st Pancras. Can I print my bank statement as evidence because after approaching the operator I went on to kings cross and bought a train ticket to Welwyn garden city

furlong

Established Member
See if anyone here will help you write a reply - look at some other threads for examples. In short, as others have said, write a short letter explaining your mistake, apologising and offering to pay the fare that was due and any costs they have incurred in dealing with you. The train company involved is known often to agree to settle out-of-court in this way - without prosecuting.. In terms of the law, putting the invalid ticket through the barrier is the action that they can point to which seems difficult to defend. Had you approached them directly and explained your journey had changed while you were on the train, you ought to have had a less bad outcome (though it might still have involved paying some smaller penalty).

island

Veteran Member
The relevant offence here seems to be failing to quit the carriage upon arrival at the point to which his fare has been paid, contrary to section 103 of the Railway Clauses Consolidation Act 1845. A railway byelaws offence does not appear to me to have been committed.

Prince yeboah

The relevant offence here seems to be failing to quit the carriage upon arrival at the point to which his fare has been paid, contrary to section 103 of the Railway Clauses Consolidation Act 1845. A railway byelaws offence does not appear to me to have been committed.
Please can you break it down to me

On 10/09/2020 I bought a single ticket from Luton to St Albans while I was onboard on thameslink I had a change of mind to carry on to st pancreas with the intention of purchasing a ticket at the station and that was my first travel by train, however, I got the barriers and tried explaining to the operator that I just got admission to Welwyn garden city so the purpose of my travel is to try different route that will get me to college and know the best possible route. The operator led me in and I went to kings cross to purchase a ticket to Welwyn garden city. I’ve realised now that I should have stop at St Albans and get a new ticket to st Pancras, however I did not know this until an operator told me this after.
I regret making that decision to carry on and I apologise unreservedly for my mistake and I hope you will please forgive me and accept that I honestly was not attempting to defraud the railway. I understand that fare evasion cost the railway a lot of amount and I assume that the investigating cases like my situation is costly in staff time. I’m really sorry and would like to settle this formally. I’m keen to pay the fare that was due and any cost you made in dealing with my case

Please is this okay to send

Please can you break it down to me

On 10/09/2020 I bought a single ticket from Luton to St Albans while I was onboard on thameslink I had a change of mind to carry on to st pancreas with the intention of purchasing a ticket at the station and that was my first travel by train, however, I got the barriers and tried explaining to the operator that I just got admission to Welwyn garden city so the purpose of my travel is to try different route that will get me to college and know the best possible route. The operator led me in and I went to kings cross to purchase a ticket to Welwyn garden city. I’ve realised now that I should have stop at St Albans and get a new ticket to st Pancras, however I did not know this until an operator told me this after.
I regret making that decision to carry on and I apologise unreservedly for my mistake and I hope you will please forgive me and accept that I honestly was not attempting to defraud the railway. I understand that fare evasion cost the railway a lot of amount and I assume that the investigating cases like my situation is costly in staff time. I’m really sorry and would like to settle this informally. I’m keen to pay the fare that was due and any cost you made in dealing with my case

Please is this okay to send

Last edited:

Veteran Member
1. It will help if you explain clearly what you did on the day.

Sorry, you reply has appeared since I wrote this, so I've deleted most of the questions.

3. When did you leave Luton and what time were you supposed to be at college?

4. Why did you change your mind and decide to go via London?

5. What did you think you would have to do about paying the extra fare?
(It is obvious from Googlemaps that you are taking a much longer route!)

6. When you got to St Pancras, did you ask anyone to help you or did you put your ticket in the barrier?

I'm happy to make some small suggestions about the wording of your letter, but I need to be a bit clearer about things.

(There is a discussion on here about which offence you could be charged with - I don't think it is going to make much difference either way, but again your answers could help. As I said before, the worst that can happen is that you are fined by the court for a fairly minor offence.)

Last edited:

Prince yeboah

1. It will help if you explain clearly what you did on the day. If you arent confident explaining it in writing, ask a friend or someone from the college support staff to help you - get them to ask you these questions:

1. When you left home that morning, what route did you plan to take?

2. Did you buy a ticket just to Luton or one to Welwyn marked "Hatfield/St Albans Bus"? sorry, you answered that at the beginning.

3. When did you leave Luton and what time were you supposed to be at college?

4. Why did you change your mind and decide to go via London?

5. What did you think you would have to do about paying the extra fare?
(It is obvious from Googlemaps that you are taking a much longer route!)

6. When you got to St Pancras, did you ask anyone to help you or did you put your ticket in the barrier?

This will help people on here help you reply.

There is a discussion on here about which offence you could be charged with - I don't think it is going to make much difference either way, but again your answers could help.

As I said before, the worst that can happen is that you are fined by the court for a fairly minor offence.
With my case I got admission to the college and I didn’t know the place so I took upon myself to go and check the location of the college before I start on Monday and also to know the time difference travelling by train or bus

Veteran Member
With my case I got admission to the college and I didn’t know the place so I took upon myself to go and check the location of the college before I start on Monday and also to know the time difference travelling by train or bus
Thank you.
I've shortened my post, but please answer my questions 4, 5, 6.

WesternLancer

Established Member
So what do you suggest I do because I bought a ticket from Luton to St Albans but I stopped in st Pancras. Can I print my bank statement as evidence because after approaching the operator I went on to kings cross and bought a train ticket to Welwyn garden city
Go to your college Student Union for advice and help on this.
And of course lesson learned is that Mr Google is probably not the best place to be sure of public transport info, sadly.

Umaru barrie 1

Go to your college Student Union for advice and help on this.
And of course lesson learned is that Mr Google is probably not the best place to be sure of public transport info, sadly.
Is there any way to pay the charges like my friends says it wasn’t intentional we was just going to the college the best way and was willing to pay any fees

Veteran Member
I have made some small changes, and moved some of your explanations to the beginning. My suggestion is belowbelow.

The bit in bold - you need to decide which version is correct.
The bit in italics was "that was my first travel by train" - have I understood you correctly?
Hope this helps.

Suggested letter:

On 10/09/2020 I bought a single ticket from Luton to St Albans.
I had just got admission to a college at Welwyn Garden City so the purpose of my travel was to try the different routes that will get me to college and know the best possible route.
I planned/the ticket seller advised me
to travel by bus from St Albans.
This was the first time I had travelled by train,

While I was onboard on Thameslink I had a change of mind to carry on to St Pancras with the intention of purchasing a ticket at the station.

However, I got stopped at the barriers and tried explaining to the operator what had happened. The operator let me through and I went to Kings Cross to purchase a ticket to Welwyn Garden City.

I’ve realised now that I should have stopped at St Albans and bought a new ticket, however I did not know this until an operator told me this after.

I regret making that decision to carry on and I apologise unreservedly for my mistake and I hope you will please forgive me and accept that I honestly was not attempting to defraud the railway.
I understand that fare evasion costs the railway a lot of amount and I assume that investigating cases like my situation is costly in staff time.
I’m really sorry and hope you will be willing to settle this informally. I’m keen to pay the fare that was due and any costs you made in dealing with my case.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I have made some small changes, and moved some of your explanations to the beginning. My suggestion is belowbelow.

The bit in bold - you need to decide which version is correct.
The bit in italics was "that was my first travel by train" - have I understood you correctly?
Hope this helps.

Suggested letter:

On 10/09/2020 I bought a single ticket from Luton to St Albans.
I had just got admission to a college at Welwyn Garden City so the purpose of my travel was to try the different routes that will get me to college and know the best possible route.
I planned/the ticket seller advised me
to travel by bus from St Albans.
This was the first time I had travelled by train,

While I was onboard on Thameslink I had a change of mind to carry on to St Pancras with the intention of purchasing a ticket at the station.

However, I got stopped at the barriers and tried explaining to the operator what had happened. The operator let me through and I went to Kings Cross to purchase a ticket to Welwyn Garden City.

I’ve realised now that I should have stopped at St Albans and bought a new ticket, however I did not know this until an operator told me this after.

I regret making that decision to carry on and I apologise unreservedly for my mistake and I hope you will please forgive me and accept that I honestly was not attempting to defraud the railway.
I understand that fare evasion costs the railway a lot of amount and I assume that investigating cases like my situation is costly in staff time.
I’m really sorry and hope you will be willing to settle this informally. I’m keen to pay the fare that was due and any costs you made in dealing with my case.
I think the OP should ignore this and stick with their original letter which was clear, concise and genuine.

Status
Not open for further replies.