• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Government discusses campaign to encourage people to return to public transport

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Well at the moment pretty much all leisure travel and a large chuck of commuting trips banned by rail are banned so that would suggest the fourth reason accounts for most of the absentee passengers.

However at the end of the summer travelling for whatever reason was permitted, and rail use was still only 40% of normal, while car use was not far off 2019 levels. Therefore there were likely other reasons for the lack of rail passengers at the time.

It would be interesting to speculate how much more growth there would have been had we not started on all the tier business etc.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bramling

Veteran Member
And similarly, "Travelling with confidence" with safety measures (politely communicated) perhaps attracts people to rail who'd otherwise be worried it would be "unsafe". Even I'm impressed with the level of visible on-train cleaning, for example.

How much of the internal cleanliness is because there aren’t so many users, and less of the types of user who hitherto used to leave trains in a disgusting state in the evenings?

The only other extra cleaning is periodical spraying with zoono, and driving cabs being treated at termini (that’s only a relatively recent thing, it wasn’t happening back in the summer).

DB

How much of the internal cleanliness is because there aren’t so many users, and less of the types of user who hitherto used to leave trains in a disgusting state in the evenings?

In the case of Northern, it's a lot more than that - the trains are now normally very clean, with none of the ingrained gunge around seat bases which used to be there all the time.

david1212

Established Member
Why? "If you only travelled occasionally pre-Covid, are masks/cleanliness measures more or less likely to make you to travel by train more frequently in future?" seems like a reasonable question.

A valid point. I was simply thinking any comparision with 2020 even where and when the least restrictions would not be very useful.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Time for a genuinely independant survery ( i.e. not YouGov ) of a broad spectrum of the population.

This needs to include questions about pre 2020 rail use so the results are weighted to exclude those who only travel very occasionally and as a last resort.
If you want a humerous view on Yougov polls, watch Dave Gorman's Modern Life is Goodish, series 3, episode 8. It's available to download on Sky, it's also on YouTube. Absolutely hilarious.

kieron

Established Member
Another factor which may discourage people from using the railways is the roads being quieter (on average) than normal, and town centre parking being easier. If it's quicker and easier to drive in, many people will.

Reopening schools to all children will have an impact on this, so the government is doing something to encourage people to return to public transport in the future.

Less helpfully, they're also imposing a large fare rise (CPIH was 1.1% in July).

Rail passengers in England and Wales will be hit by above inflation fare rises on Monday.

Ticket prices will increase by around 2.6%, leading to accusations that the UK Government is “pricing the railways out of existence”. The figure represents the Retail Prices Index measure of inflation from July 2020, plus one percentage point.

Passengers in Wales face a similar increase, whereas the Scottish Government is implementing smaller rises of 1.6% and 0.6% for peak and off-peak travel respectively.

DB

Another factor which may discourage people from using the railways is the roads being quieter (on average) than normal, and town centre parking being easier. If it's quicker and easier to drive in, many people will.

Reopening schools to all children will have an impact on this, so the government is doing something to encourage people to return to public transport in the future.

Less helpfully, they're also imposing a large fare rise (CPIH was 1.1% in July).

Fare rises at the moment is a pretty stupid thing to do - they should have at least frozen fares until next year.

Tester

Fare rises at the moment is a pretty stupid thing to do - they should have at least frozen fares until next year.

Agreed. Particularly since it appears that the Chancellor is minded to freeze Fuel Duty, justifying this on the grounds of the pandemic.

A very poor message.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I think there needs to be a concentration on growing the business for the next few years. Fare rises aren't the way to be doing that, particularly over-inflation ones.

2.6% on top of the current fare is a very unambitious aim - getting more people paying the current fare (or even two thirds of the current fare) is what they should be aiming for. And it's not as though they don't currently have the capacity either.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

That is a very good point. The perceived 'cost' and difficult of driving has considerably reduced. Some city centres have reduced parking charges etc. as well.

That, and school kids are quite a sizeable source of demand themselves. Cambridge-Ely was positively buoyant as a flow in autumn, partly due to the level of education-related travel.

route101

Established Member
I have no problem using the trains or buses. I don't have a car and do like going places. Yes wearing a mask can be pain but having a quiet train was a bonus.

greyman42

Established Member
Time for a genuinely independant survery ( i.e. not YouGov ) of a broad spectrum of the population.

This needs to include questions about pre 2020 rail use so the results are weighted to exclude those who only travel very occasionally and as a last resort.
The only surveys that i ever hear about are the ones which come up with the answers that the government/media want.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
For those people saying masks will bring them back to transport - while I have always worn a mask since the law changed and never once gone without or pretended to be exempt, which is more than can be said for everyone unfortunately, I agree and also have to also say that why did nobody look at the risk from wearing a mask for so long?!

Think of journeys from London to Plymouth or Cornwall, or to Edinburgh and North. These are journeys of five, six hours or more with restricted breathing and the body begins to inhale its own carbon dioxide after a while, which is extremely bad for you.

So yes, while I do not like reckless people who want to abandon safety measures for their own convenience, masks need to go as soon as possible.

DB

why did nobody look at the risk from wearing a mask for so long?!

It doesn't fit the narrative.

Same as why the complete lack of any statistical evidence for masks reducing infection rates is never discussed by most politicians or the mainstream media.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
For those people saying masks will bring them back to transport - while I have always worn a mask since the law changed and never once gone without or pretended to be exempt, which is more than can be said for everyone unfortunately, I agree and also have to also say that why did nobody look at the risk from wearing a mask for so long?!

Think of journeys from London to Plymouth or Cornwall, or to Edinburgh and North. These are journeys of five, six hours or more with restricted breathing and the body begins to inhale its own carbon dioxide after a while, which is extremely bad for you.

So yes, while I do not like reckless people who want to abandon safety measures for their own convenience, masks need to go as soon as possible.

But you are allowed to remove a mask to consume food and drink, so totally continuous wearing on such a long journey is not necessary.

It doesn't fit the narrative.

Same as why the complete lack of any statistical evidence for masks reducing infection rates is never discussed by most politicians or the mainstream media.

Similarly, is there any evidence of the harm of wearing a mask?

WM Bus

Similarly, is there any evidence of the harm of wearing a mask?
Not harm, but the bad thing about them is when people have finished with them they just throw them on the floor or in the bushes.
Aberdeen Street, Winson Green is completly covered with the things. I bet they have probably been thrown there on the floor and in the bushes by patients visiting the hospital given the proximity. Very dirty.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Not harm, but the bad thing about them is when people have finished with them they just throw them on the floor or in the bushes.
Aberdeen Street, Winson Green is completly covered with the things. I bet they have probably been throw there on the floor and in the bushes by patients visiting the hospital given the proximity. Very dirty.

That I do agree with. Have picked up several from my own garden. Plus the usual stuff like McDonald's rubbish (shall we ban McDonald's too?)

SouthEastBuses

On Moderation
I wear a mask from Leeds to Manchester every day and return and I really don't see what the fuss is about tbh. I know it's personal preference but it is definitely not enough of a nuisance to stop me catching a train.

Don't get me wrong I don't like it... But don't dislike it enough for it to remotely affect my life.

Fully agree.

I hate masks, but I'd rather be forced to wear one but at least enjoy my freedoms, instead of being forced to stay locked in my house apart from a few walks...

And let me admit. I was the type of person that until now, I'd only go on open top buses or use public transport for essential journeys, with the rest of journeys being done in my car because I was really sceptical about going on public transport. But with cases and deaths constantly going down thanks to the vaccine, I might make a full return to public transport from April onwards

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Fully agree.

I hate masks, but I'd rather be forced to wear one but at least enjoy my freedoms, instead of being forced to stay locked in my house apart from a few walks...

Hard agree. I'd have a mask stapled to my face if thar was the price for freedom compared to being locked down (which was truly miserable).

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Hard agree. I'd have a mask stapled to my face if thar was the price for freedom compared to being locked down (which was truly miserable).

Indeed. I can live with reasonable measures, however I consider lockdown to be a truly disgusting and shocking policy.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Indeed. I can live with reasonable measures, however I consider lockdown to be a truly disgusting and shocking policy.
It’s horrible, but you can thank it for why we’re finally getting the covid levels down, along with the vaccine

Silver Cobra

While wearing a mask is certainly not a pleasurable experience (I have to wear one for most of my working day four days a week currently), I did manage to sustain wearing one travelling from Hitchin/Baldock to Great Yarmouth during the summer of last year, with only taking it off for a few minutes around the time the train stopped at Thetford to eat a quick snack (due to GA being one of the more vigilant TOCs for enforcing wearing them on platforms, I didn't take it off at either Cambridge or Norwich while waiting for my next connection). As such, for now, wearing one while on a journey of around 1.5-2.5 hours would not put me off making the journey, once the 'Stay At Home' order is dropped.

Bikeman78

Established Member
It's not really either/or though. The vaccine is the solution. If masks were much good, we wouldn't have been in lockdown for two months.

Status
Not open for further replies.