• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Gradient Map and Requests

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legolash2o

I previously had a thread showing gradients with a link to a interactive map showing gradients (https://railmap.azurewebsites.net/Public/Gradients).

I've started work on more detailed maps and I've attached some maps of more detailed areas, such as Ipswich and Manchester. Is there any locations anyone would like to see? I can share them.

Attachments

• Gradient1.png
    Gradient1.png
    454.4 KB · Views: 99
  • Gradient2.png
    Gradient2.png
    563.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Gradient3.png
    Gradient3.png
    1,014.7 KB · Views: 100
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ABB125

Established Member
I previously had a thread showing gradients with a link to a interactive map showing gradients (https://railmap.azurewebsites.net/Public/Gradients).

I've started work on more detailed maps and I've attached some maps of more detailed areas, such as Ipswich and Manchester. Is there any locations anyone would like to see? I can share them.
Which way is uphill, which way down? I think that may lead to confusion and too many colours!). Would it be possible to make it so that there are small arrows pointing in (for example) the uphill direction?

Legolash2o

Yeah the colours are the difficult thing (legend on the bottom left) and I do have plans to add arrows. Currently the gradient is up/down hill and depends on the direction of travel, as per the Sectional Appendix. The link I shared does have a tick box to add the arrows.

Trains in the UK typically travel on the left hand side. On the attached example below, the blue (down hill) tracks are uni-directional so trains going from left to right would be going down hill, whereas the trains going right to left, would be going up hill (yellow). The example is Gilberdyke Jn

Attachments

• image_2020-11-30_164000.png
    image_2020-11-30_164000.png
    313.3 KB · Views: 39

eMeS

Thanks for all your efforts.
Is it possible to make place names a different colour? On my monitor, I'm struggling to see them - almost the same tone as the map background.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
It's a very pretty map but it might perhaps be clearer to simply have colours on a continuous, probably logarithmic, scale from green (level) to red (1:25 or whatever the steepest gradient is) or similar.

The direction of the gradient seems rather less important than the fact there is a gradient at all, and the gradient direction could surely be indicated by an arrow pointing up or downhill?

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
On OS road maps, the convention is to use arrow symbols on roads with steepish gradients, with the "arrow head" pointing downhill.

Double arrow heads for particularly steep gradients. (On the railway, maybe this could be anything steeper than 1 in 50).

Legolash2o

It's a very pretty map but it might perhaps be clearer to simply have colours on a continuous, probably logarithmic, scale from green (level) to red (1:25 or whatever the steepest gradient is) or similar.

The direction of the gradient seems rather less important than the fact there is a gradient at all, and the gradient direction could surely be indicated by an arrow pointing up or downhill?
I agree completely that the colours need more work. Currently dark red is steep uphill whereas dark green is a steep downhill.

Thanks for all your efforts.
Is it possible to make place names a different colour? On my monitor, I'm struggling to see them - almost the same tone as the map background.
Yeah, I can do that. As above, I still need to tweak the colours.

When I share the map/link. There will be a menu on the top-right that lets you change the background tiles.

How does your up/downhill work on single and bi-directional lines?

That's a difficult. Each line does have a direction but there is a tag that says if it's bidirectional or not. There a few options such as double arrows in the direction "<< ->" instead of a standard "< - >" arrows for bidirectional.

I've added some arrows indicating direction of travel.

Attachments

• GradientArrows.png
    GradientArrows.png
    287.5 KB · Views: 21
  • GradientArrows2.png
    GradientArrows2.png
    261.9 KB · Views: 21

Domh245

Established Member
An alternative presentation could be to include spot heights at places where the gradient changes direction?

zwk500

Veteran Member
That's a difficult. Each line does have a direction but there is a tag that says if it's bidirectional or not. There a few options such as double arrows in the direction "<< ->" instead of a standard "< - >" arrows for bidirectional.

I've added some arrows indicating direction of travel.
Personally, I think it'd be clearer to have one set of colours for the gradient value and use the arrows to indicate which is the rising/falling direction. Not sure which way round, probably whichever the OS maps use, but as long as it's on the key it wouldn't matter.

Legolash2o

Currently I've mapped around 75% of the country. Feel free to try other tiploc combinations within the URL (example below).

https://railmap.azurewebsites.net/Public/Route

https://railmap.azurewebsites.net/Public/Route?origin=HULL&via=SELBY&destination=KNGX

Personally, I think it'd be clearer to have one set of colours for the gradient value and use the arrows to indicate which is the rising/falling direction. Not sure which way round, probably whichever the OS maps use, but as long as it's on the key it wouldn't matter.
The maps that I use make it difficult to do that.

Attachments

• 1 UK.png
    1 UK.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 27
  • 2 London.png
    2 London.png
    2 MB · Views: 27
  • 3 Staines.png
    3 Staines.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 27
Status
Not open for further replies.