• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Graduate jobs in the railway industry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon11

Established Member
Hi

I'm currently in my final year at uni applying for lots of grad jobs in Analyst/ business/ finance/ management jobs in the railway industry :)

I was wondering if anyone could give advice to what companies to apply for and provide any tips/advice :D

Quick background, done 1 year work placement with VT in revenue management dep, work experience related to railways and do lots of volunteering.

Here are the companies I have applied for so far :)

TFL
Network Rail
Arriva
Atkins
First
Interfleet
The railway Consultancy

I have on favourites (As the schemes haven't opened yet)
DB Schenker
Transport Scotland
National Express
Chiltern

Any information would be appreciated!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

scotsman

Established Member
Well, good luck to you! The majority of these management types don't seem to know a thing about running a railway. Other than that, I can't really help you. Sorry.

Simon11

Established Member
Very positive so far:D

I applied for most jobs around 3 weeks ago

TFL Had online test and phone interview
NR Online Test
Atkins Online Test

I've been rejected from 2 applications but they were Exxon Mobile and DHl. However all other applications, Im still waiting for a response.

I've just applied for an ideal grad scheme with Northern:D

Fingers Crossed:D

bluenoxid

Established Member
Yeah I got rejected by DHL. Just didn't have the right attitude for their online test thingy (it's an odd online test that looks at your attitudes).

Just had a thought of one or a few. PTE's.

Established Member
Didn't realise that Northern had a graduate scheme.

Have been checking the PTE websites, nothing coming up yet. GMPTE has last years' webpage still up, but of course this doesn't mean that they'll have an intake this year. Nothing for Nexus yet, same goes for Metro. Just had a Network Rail application knocked back, although I wasn't planning on getting a job yet.

Simon11

Established Member
I think my reason for getting rejected from DHL, was that for the question bits, I couldn't really be bothered, so didn't write much.

So what I've learnt is that its only worth applying if you are going to try your hardest :D

Northern don't run a graduate schemes, it seems to be a one off :D I only found by typing Graduate business analyst railway into google:lol:

However that role offers the most I've seen so far in the instury £33.5k:o But also I believe I've got a good chance getting the job as most graduates won't have any experience working in the railway industry yet alone in business analyst :D

Continues *dribbling* about £33.5k:lol:

Last edited:

The Snap

Established Member
VolkerRail, and indeed the other companies within the VolkerWessels group, offer a graduate scheme for engineering as well as management/business/finance etc.

http://www.volkerrail.co.uk/bin/ibp...pZone=S5_GraduateOpportuniti&ibpDisplay=view&

I appreciate that it says the application process is closed for this year at the bottom, but you may find the link of use in the future ;).

I hope this is useful to you in some way :).

Simon11

Established Member
Thanks

I have added it to my favourites to look at every week incase they open it:D

Just been declined from Network Rail. Have asked for feedback though:D

Last edited:

atomicdanny

I applied to the chiltern and the arriva ones, I didn't pass the arriva one.

As for the chiltern one the only replies that I seemed to get was we are sorry but we are still going through the applications and that they would let me know. Then nothing for a month I sent them an email and same reply, again for august and september - same reply again!. I tried again last month but never got a reply :(

Simon11

Established Member
Here's my reply for NR

Thank you for your interest in Network Rail and for completing your recent online test.

Further to your recent email requesting feedback following your test, please be advised that unfortunately we are not able to provide individual feedback to candidates at this stage of the process.

At Network Rail, we work around a set of core competencies. In addition to these competencies, we have a diverse range of employees and are committed to an active Equal Opportunities Policy. This doesn't just cover our recruitment and selection procedures, but runs right through training and development, appraisal, promotion opportunities and eventually to retirement. As part of the promotion of an environment free from discrimination, harassment and victimisation we work hard to ensure everyone receives equal treatment. All the decisions we make relating to employment practices are objective, free from bias and based solely upon work criteria and individual merit.

As part of this, we work closely with organisations that can provide best practice advice and selection and assessment tools to reflect these values. The Situational Judgment Test you completed for this position has been carefully created in partnership with SHL (www.shl.com) to ensure consistency and fairness. We have found that the tool is predictive of success in these roles. It provides examples of the kind of situations a Network Rail employee may encounter, and helps us to discover whether candidates are right for a position with us, in terms of the key aspects of the role where we know our current employees in the role shine.

Candidates who are successful during the recruitment process and in particular the completion of the Situational Judgment Test, not only understand what the role entails, but are more likely to be successful and enjoy the job. It is designed to assess the individual’s fit and suitability for the role being applied for.

On this occasion unfortunately you were not successful, but we hope that the information provided in this letter provides you with more information as to how our recruitment decisions are made.

We would like to thank you again for your application to Network Rail, and wish you all the best for the future.

I'm still failing to understand as to why I failed it;)
I volunteer for a local youth organisation, interested in railways, do lots of social stuff at uni and I've worked in a railway company for a year. Should show them I have lots of skills:roll:

Anyway im using my "Get out of jail free card" :lol: I met two NR graduates in Feb for a day and I had the chance to ask lots of questions. I've got one of their e-mails, so I'm going to see if he could give me any advice for the type of character they are looking for and (small) maybe he could find out why:D

*Turns out he's left the company already :(*

If they gave me the reason that other students came from better universities, I'd be happy with the decision, however it doesn't make sense:D

Last edited:

Established Member
Competition has been tough in the past two years, plus I bet a lot of postgrads will be applying. Still, with experience like that you should be getting an offer from somewhere soon.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
I'm still failing to understand as to why I failed it;)
I volunteer for a local youth organisation, interested in railways, do lots of social stuff at uni and I've worked in a railway company for a year. Should show them I have lots of skills:roll:

Being a railway enthusiast will not get you a job on the railway. They will be looking for people that are committed to a particular career, eg finance (so show that you're looking to become a bean counter, regardless of where). The fact that it happens to be on the railway isn't particularly relevant.

Keep trying though, and remember that any job add experience and strength to your CV, and you never know what doors may open when you get inside an organisation.

Simon11

Established Member
More bad news, declined from TFL :(

They as well don't give any feedback which is annoying considering I put at least 6hrs into the application and phone interview:-x

Looks like I'll have to apply for more schemes that I don't really want:(

It would really be interesting to look at the CV's of the candiates who got through. I guess they went to a top uni and had excellent alevels:(

E&W Lucas

Established Member
As someone who graduated in the middle of the last recession, I can fully understand how you are feeling. However, these rejections are not the end of the world, even though they may seem like it right now. University careers advice usually only seems to extend as far as Graduate Schemes, but there's a whole job market out there, and whilst the job title may not be quite as sexy, you can end up in just the same place in the end.

There are record numbers of graduates, sadly many with qualifications that may turn out to be virtually worthless. They are all going to be chasing these schemes, but the vast majority will go away disappointed. That doesn't mean that they are on the scrap heap for life, just that they will need to be a little creative, and engineer their own openings.

If railways are what interests you, then as an entry point you could do an awful lot worse than one of the conductor jobs here: http://www.northern.engageats.co.uk/Vacancies.aspx

Most Graduates have an amount of customer facing experience from vac jobs, so you'd have a good chance. In terms of day to day responsibility, autonomy & money, it would equate to an entry level management position in many service industries. In terms of time off & job security, it's far better. Where it leads to is up to you. You learn the business from the bottom up, and apply for management positions as and when they arise.

Whatever, you're going to need a Plan "B", and the mainline rail industry isn't a bad one. Graduate Schemes aren't everything they're cracked up to be. I got on one a couple of years after graduating, having gained some management experience after taking a dead end job and being promoted. I wouldn't be without the experience it gave me, but I've no regrets about moving on to other things.

Simon11

Established Member
Would anyone have any advice on applying for railway jobs in other countries such as USA, ect?

With USA starting to invest in high speed, it could be a good option!

I've been looking at a few sites there, but it seems like a huge maze!

How would one find a job there?

Thanks for any advice

Established Member
One of the problems would be getting a 'Green Card' - I had a look at MTA for New York (Subway), but they don't accept applications from oversea where people need supporting for a green card application. You might be able to if some of your family is American but might be a non-starter.

Simon11

Established Member
Just got the no from Arriva Wales. Looks like it might be worth waiting till Easter and trying again, but this time aim for the regular jobs and work my way up:D

Clip

Established Member
Just got the no from Arriva Wales. Looks like it might be worth waiting till Easter and trying again, but this time aim for the regular jobs and work my way up:D

Dont get to down about it all.. but going back to your failure at NR i can only assume it iis the test that failed you.. And they cant really tell you more then that. The tests they do are quite hard for the graduate scheme..

Dont give up hope though the station manager at KX managed it ;)

ungreat

Graduates=-**** managers and **** poor staff relations

Dont bother.We have enough muppets in charge without more kids wet behind the ears trying to tell staff with years of experience how to do their jobs thankyou

Sorry,my opinion...too many non rail staff trying to run a railway..dont need or want them.Thats why railway management has gone down hill.

Do a few years in the job you want to manage..fine,but dont come telling us what to do from a college course..you wont know nothing.

Dont want them..unless they are good..even then,get some experience first

E&W Lucas

Established Member
A graduate would probably spot the double-negative.

;)

I think that you've just proved his point!

If you are fortunate enough to land a place on a graduate scheme, you'll make a success of it by keeping your mouth shut, and learning as much as you can from the experienced people around you. When you start to manage in your own right, you will still rely on the goodwill of those people. Anatgonise them, which you will with the attitude that you display above, and they will ensure that you fall flat on your face. That holds true in any industry.

ungreat

;)

A graduate wouldn't find his/hers own arse with both hands on the railway managing staff..too many targets to achieve and not enough experience with ground staff.All very well having targets but when it goes tits up the bullseye moves a great many times.Thats why we have so many different managers every 10 minutes

The term,with the ones I've had to work under in the last 24 years is "couldn't run a hot bath,never mind a railway"

I stick by my guns with this..and hae only had one really good graduate manager..and that was 21 years ago
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I think that you've just proved his point!

If you are fortunate enough to land a place on a graduate scheme, you'll make a success of it by keeping your mouth shut, and learning as much as you can from the experienced people around you. When you start to manage in your own right, you will still rely on the goodwill of those people. Anatgonise them, which you will with the attitude that you display above, and they will ensure that you fall flat on your face. That holds true in any industry.

Has to be the quote of the month,even year,for me...sensible,blunt and true.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

;)

Sooo....you know more about railway operations than me,or any other member of staff with years of experience then?

Did Uni teach you how to handle a train on fire? Drunk passengers at the gateline ? Someone who wont give you their name and address because they have no ticket but they have a BIG knife?Being bombarded by rocks from a bridge whilst waiting at a red signal? Violence at a station and theres only you in uniform,be you driver ,RPI,station staff or cleaner?Being assaulted by loopy passengers because a platform change"isn't what my Iphone said"...****heads that won't get off the train when you really want to go home and your shift finished an hour ago and start getting violent.... A few scenarios..that happen every day.

No it doesn't..don't EVER imply that some turd fom a uni knows how to handle a situation better than the staff that deal with it EVERY FRIGGING DAY as part of their job all because you did a degree in book keeping and how to handle nasty oiks with rather large hats shouting " Hey ho Chummy"

God I hope you don't come to our side

Legzr1

Hey!

YOU dropped a bollock with your poor use of English - I presume you meant to say the opposite of what you actually typed...

I'm just a train driver,started under BR and now with some German freight company.

But don't let that get in the way of your little presumptious rant.

I like your examples - just what all drivers experience so don't go feeling all special.

Trains on fire?

Pah!

Try 2,700T of aviation fuel with burning brake blocks on the ECML then get back to me.

You and Mr Lucas are too presumptious.

If you have a problem with graduate PM's I suggest taking it up with them rather than strangers on a website.

Goodnight sweetheart.

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Presumptious, or based on hard won experience in my earlier career?
Driving is a rest cure in comparison, provided that you don't cut any corners.

Last edited:

Legzr1

Presumptious.

Rant away my dear fellows but be careful of tarring every 'manager' with the same brush.

I'm sure there are drivers/groundstaff all around that have bluffed their way through the years (in fact,I know a couple) but that doesn't mean they all do it.

Experience is good for forming opinions - just don't let it cloud your judgement.

Last edited:

E&W Lucas

Established Member
Presumptious.

Rant away my dear fellows but be careful of tarring every 'manager' with the same brush.

I'm sure there are drivers/groundstaff all around that have bluffed their way through the years (in fact,I know a couple) but that doesn't mean they all do it.

Experience is good for forming opinions - just don't let it cloud your judgement.

Maybe so to have assumed that you were another graduate prospect, but not so to point out some of the pitfalls that await them. One of the particular joys of management, being to build credibility amongst those instinctively prejudiced against you.

Having had a quick look at the NR brochure online, it's a bit "light" on what they see you doing in 5+ years time, especially on the operational side.

bluenoxid

Established Member
Hey!

YOU dropped a bollock with your poor use of English - I presume you meant to say the opposite of what you actually typed...

I'm just a train driver,started under BR and now with some German freight company.

But don't let that get in the way of your little presumptious rant.

I like your examples - just what all drivers experience so don't go feeling all special.

Trains on fire?

Pah!

Try 2,700T of aviation fuel with burning brake blocks on the ECML then get back to me.

You and Mr Lucas are too presumptious.

If you have a problem with graduate PM's I suggest taking it up with them rather than strangers on a website.

Goodnight sweetheart.

Now this is hilarious.

Having been at the receiving end of incompetent graduate management, I have personally found that quite a few of the criticisms levelled are certainly true. I would not make the mistake though of tarring everyone with the same brush with some university graduates certainly being very capable.

The worrying thing is that too many expect graduates to be excellent managers even though they are on a four or five year training course. They will make mistakes and it takes a very firm hand and ruthless attitude to sort it out. The moment that anyone points out their job description, let them slot themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.