• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central MK4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve14

Just seen the Grand Central MK4 coaches and DVTs pacing past my house. Anyone know why they’re heading down to Eastleigh?

Attachments

• 79419902-971A-4FF9-AEA5-4F6A0A2A0983.png
    79419902-971A-4FF9-AEA5-4F6A0A2A0983.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 116
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DBS92042

Established Member
The four ex-GC sets look like they're all headed for Worksop now (presumably for further storage). Does anyone know if these MK4s will be kept in warm storage or not?

Somewhat confused by this... last week they were moved from Wembley to Eastleigh.. a week later and they’re headed up to Worksop for storage(?). There looks like another move tomorrow morning via the WCML... what was the purpose of the trip to Eastleigh I wonder?

DB

Somewhat confused by this... last week they were moved from Wembley to Eastleigh.. a week later and they’re headed up to Worksop for storage(?). There looks like another move tomorrow morning via the WCML... what was the purpose of the trip to Eastleigh I wonder?

Could it have been some minor handback work or checks prior to them going back to the ROSCO?

fgwrich

Established Member
Could it have been some minor handback work or checks prior to them going back to the ROSCO?
Yes. The rake moved up this morning had all traces of Arriva and Grand Central branding removed - As Eastleigh is an Arriva depot, they have chosen to do the de-branding and handback work in house.

Yes. The rake moved up this morning had all traces of Arriva and Grand Central branding removed - As Eastleigh is an Arriva depot, they have chosen to do the de-branding and handback work in house.
Thanks for the explanation

warwickshire

On Moderation
Move running today 5Q26 Eastleigh Arlington to Worksop down yard. Passed at speed on time Long Buckby 0955. 47813 with 2x dvt and 10 coaches. Still in ex Grand Central livery and decals removed. Formation was one 822 dvt and 5 coaches. Then another 822 dvt and 5 coaches.

Does anyone have vehicles numbers pls.

Also move only is shown on live rail record but as onetime in green box at top only.

However also since returning home the train is showing to be late 91 minutes and diverting via Coventry.

Don't know why for the divert though.

Last edited by a moderator:

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Can you give a valid reason for their interest?
A valid reason? :lol: Well, they've got a couple of Mark 4 sets but only enough to provide three Holyhead Cardiff services in each direction, is that valid enough?
Though they might need to check how many 67s they have.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Can you give a valid reason for their interest?
It was raised in the speculation thread about GC Mk4 stock, apparently based on an article in Modern Railways. But that was 6 weeks ago, presumably quoting an even older magazine story...

ls2270

Established Member
Move running today 5Q26 Eastleigh Arlington to Worksop down yard. Passed at speed on time Long Buckby 0955. 47813 with 2x dvt and 10 coaches. Still in ex Grand Central livery and decals removed. Formation was one 822 dvt and 5 coaches. Then another 822 dvt and 5 coaches.

Does anyone have vehicles numbers pls.

Also move only is shown on live rail record but as onetime in green box at top only.

However also since returning home the train is showing to be late 91 minutes and diverting via Coventry.

Don't know why for the divert though.
I can help you with the numbers:
The loco was actually 47812, with coaches 11319, 10318, 12310, 12434, 12211, 82230, 11322, 10301, 12316, 12452, 12210 and 82201.
The delay and diversion were due to an earlier fatality at Rugby.

warwickshire

On Moderation
I can help you with the numbers:
The loco was actually 47812, with coaches 11319, 10318, 12310, 12434, 12211, 82230, 11322, 10301, 12316, 12452, 12210 and 82201.
The delay and diversion were due to an earlier fatality at Rugby.
Many thanks for this. Most people wouldn't have known it was running on the day. Because with it being on a different alternative schedule on live rail record. Even on the day it was only shown in a live green box on live rail. There was no running history off it. On the day. Just took my chance and landed lucky. Again many thanks for this. Much appreciated

No shortage of spare Mk4s - surely TfW would have had more already if they wanted them?

Even in the scenario where they did take more I would expect it to be decided only after May due to the assembly election and more insight into rail use post lockdown/restriction easing.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
No shortage of spare Mk4s - surely TfW would have had more already if they wanted them?

The advantage of these sets is that they've already had a load of work done on them, and thus they're worth more than some that have just been parked up since LNER had finished with them.

On Moderation
The advantage of these sets is that they've already had a load of work done on them, and thus they're worth more than some that have just been parked up since LNER had finished with them.
If TfW were taking them, then why have Eversholt moved them into cold store at Worksop?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
If TfW were taking them, then why have Eversholt moved them into cold store at Worksop?

I don't know if TfW are taking them or not, however Modern Railways last month reported that they were interested in them.

If they are being moved to "cold store", then I expect TfW have decided not to take them.

Chester1

Established Member
Wasn't the other proposal Cross Country for Birmingham to Manchester service to allow more to Voyagers to run doubled up? Was that a suggestion by a MR writer or reporting?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
It could equally be asked why they have gone into cold store at Worksop and not gone directly to a scrapyard.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Wasn't the other proposal Cross Country for Birmingham to Manchester service to allow more to Voyagers to run doubled up? Was that a suggestion by a MR writer or reporting?
“MR understands that”... as it was put, in the editorial near the front of the November issue.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I'd be very surprised if TfW has funds for yet more stock, when they are right at the start of a major re-equipment programme (including 3xMk4 sets).
I could understand it more if the new trains were significantly delayed, but that would only be temporary.
There's no use for the replaced 175s yet, so no pressure there.
I'm pretty sure TfW hasn't run a through train between Cardiff and Holyhead, or used any LHCS in service, for the best part of a year.
I think all the remaining stock is now PRM compliant (maybe bar 153s).

Energy

Established Member
The TfW existing mk4s aren't in service yet, I can't see them being interested.

Status
Not open for further replies.