• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Grand Central - Trainee Train Drivers (Various)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raikkonen7

Am I right in saying that they’ll measure the 60 mins from the depot to your home address rather than Bradford itself?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Driver068

Id imagine it will be from your home address to your signing on point. For Sunderland drivers it would be Sunderland Railway station, i belive Bradford railway station maybe the same for them!!

Last edited:

L-J

I applied last night but yet to received an acknowledgement email.
I received an email acknowledgement from Grand Central about an hour after I applied, just confirming that they had received my application and that they would be in touch within the next 2 to 4 weeks to update me on my application.

Last edited:

train-safe

I received an email acknowledgement from Grand Central about an hour after I applied, just confirming that they had received my application and that they would be in touch within the next 2 to 4 weeks to update me on my application.
I think it will be a lot quicker than that if they stick to the start date as advertised, fingers crossed for those who have applied.

DC1999

Am I right in saying that they’ll measure the 60 mins from the depot to your home address rather than Bradford itself?
I would think it would be from the Home Depot ie heaton or Crofton as the driver picks the train up from the depot then takes it to the station

tiptoptaff

Established Member
I would think it would be from the Home Depot ie heaton or Crofton as the driver picks the train up from the depot then takes it to the station
But that isn't necessarily where they book on.

For example, as a Bristol GWR driver I pick up trains from SPM depot, but I'm always taxied to or from there to Bristol Temple Meads.

I'd imagine it's the same for GC. They'll book on at the station so that's where the travel time is measured from

Lumpa6259

I have not received an email confirming they have received my application ? Should I contact them ? The system is showing it on my application list but nothing heard. It also appears not to be advertised any more so presuming it's been pulled early ?

**** Apols - Just seen earlier in thread someone has mentioned it was pulled early and not to worry about email.

Last edited:

Driver068

But that isn't necessarily where they book on.

For example, as a Bristol GWR driver I pick up trains from SPM depot, but I'm always taxied to or from there to Bristol Temple Meads.

I'd imagine it's the same for GC. They'll book on at the station so that's where the travel time is measured from
For Sunderland drivers, book on is Sunderland Station, where some jobs are pick units up or drop off at Heaton. Heaton is where they are stablled over night and i assume same with Croft. For Night lodges they are stabled at Ferne Park but thats a different subject.

As mentioned earlier the 60 mins will be from home to Sign on point which will be Sunderland or Bradford

route101

Established Member
I have not received an email confirming they have received my application ? Should I contact them ? The system is showing it on my application list but nothing heard. It also appears not to be advertised any more so presuming it's been pulled early ?

**** Apols - Just seen earlier in thread someone has mentioned it was pulled early and not to worry about email.
The Cross Country may close early then.

Raikkonen7

They are not sending acknowledgement emails, but if you check your account, it will show up as received or in progres
That’s strange. I applied for GC and XC and received no acknowledgment email... it does, however, say on the website that both applications have been received, so I’m sure it’ll be fine.

route101

Established Member
That’s strange. I applied for GC and XC and received no acknowledgment email... it does, however, say on the website that both applications have been received, so I’m sure it’ll be fine.
Same here for the XC.

L-J

This is the acknowledgement email I received.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210215-182926_Outlook.jpg
    Screenshot_20210215-182926_Outlook.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 97

FastTrax

No qualified drivers were made redundant, any trainees made redundant were based at the failed Blackpool depot.
hi can you please share the story as i am very curious. i can only imagine the horror for those poor trainees who might have left a decent secure job to be a trainee and then get redundant. what happened to them? as it were they taken on later on when trainee job came up again or they went out looking for trainee jobs at other TOC?
also in this case if the trainee went to a differnt TOC and failed the interview do they lose a one of the two chance they get?
thanks

Last edited:

skyhigh

Established Member
also in this case if the trainee went to a differnt TOC and failed the interview do they lose a one of the two chance they get?
No - they'd only need to do a DMI rather than the psychometrics and MMI as they'd already have those passes. (With the caveat that they'd need to be of the standard required by the second TOC)

Stigy

Established Member
hi can you please share the story as i am very curious. i can only imagine the horror for those poo trainees who might have left a decent secure job to be a trainee and then get redundant. what happened to them? as it were they taken on later on when trainee job came up again or they went out looking for trainee jobs at other TOC?
thanks
No need to call them poo (sorry) :D

I know of one who quickly secured a trainee driver job with another TOC (Avanti I think). You are right though, the feeling must be terrible. If nothing else, the chances of getting another job would probably significantly increase if you’ve started training, although you’d have to start again.

FastTrax

No need to call them poo (sorry) :D

I know of one who quickly secured a trainee driver job with another TOC (Avanti I think). You are right though, the feeling must be terrible. If nothing else, the chances of getting another job would probably significantly increase if you’ve started training, although you’d have to start again.
ooops....just corrected it. thanks for your reply.

Chuchu

They started sending emails. As expected, I am too far away for them :). Status changed to "end of process" on my online profile.

Khalil773

I just got a reply. My application was unsuccessful due to the fact that 'other people are a closer match.'

It's quite vague and would like some additional feedback, but it seems that there's no way for me to ask.

I'd be interested to see how the others fare.

Raikkonen7

I suspect either the calibre is really high or they are taking on very small numbers. I got the standard other people are closer match. I’m ex-police and a current signaller, so I had my fingers crossed but oh well. Best of luck to anyone who hasn’t heard yet or has been successful.

DriverEight

I suspect either the calibre is really high or they are taking on very small numbers. I got the standard other people are closer match. I’m ex-police and a current signaller, so I had my fingers crossed but oh well. Best of luck to anyone who hasn’t heard yet or has been successful.
It could be location. On the face of it, you're probably a better match than I am, so maybe the fact that I can walk to Sunderland Station swung it for me. I got the "give us a couple of weeks" email

Raikkonen7

It could be location. On the face of it, you're probably a better match than I am, so maybe the fact that I can walk to Sunderland Station swung it for me. I got the "give us a couple of weeks" email
Yeah, that’s a big factor. Nevertheless, I’m only 40 mins from the depot at Bradford, so I comply with the 60 mins rule. There’ll be more chances in the future to apply hopefully. Did you get that email today?

djack123son

I just got a reply. My application was unsuccessful due to the fact that 'other people are a closer match.'

It's quite vague and would like some additional feedback, but it seems that there's no way for me to ask.

I'd be interested to see how the others fare.
A nice way of saying "you don't meet the requirements" lol., I'm a no, location primarily

DriverEight

Yeah, that’s a big factor. Nevertheless, I’m only 40 mins from the depot at Bradford, so I comply with the 60 mins rule. There’ll be more chances in the future to apply hopefully. Did you get that email today?
No, about lunchtime yesterday (Tuesday). Perhaps there are fewer applications for Sunderland, so they can't afford to be as picky. I suppose 60 mins from Bradford pretty much covers the entire M62 corridor and down the M1 to Sheffield, so there's going to be thousands of applications!

Status
Not open for further replies.