• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Central Railway News and Updates

Mikw

I am a long way away but visited England in 2022/203, Scotland in the former and Wales in the latter.

Are things really that bad?

In my country, allegedly 73 per cent who rent are suffering financial stress, compared with half of those who have a house/apartment mortgage. I assume for the third group (those who own property debt free, or own their own home debt free with an investment property or more than one with a loan, there isn't 'stress'.

What are the equivalent percentages in England?
I'm not sure about the figures you're after, but scurvy and ricketts are making a comeback, conditions historically linked to poverty.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Established Member
GCR winter steam gala this weekend is very good - had a most enjoyable day today - well done to all concerned.

I would recommend a visit on Sunday to anyone who has the chance.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Very nice, winter steam is so much more atmospheric :) Was it busy?
It was very busy on Saturday - many trains I was on were all seats taken as well as people standing. Hopefully Sunday was busy too and good takings received by the GCR.

Flying Phil

Established Member
Certainly, on Sunday, most seats were taken in the trains but the only standing was in the NER railcar. There was a "Medical Emergency" at Rothley on the train, which had to back up into the station so that the ambulance could get better access. This naturally led to delays for the rest of the afternoon.
It was a superb Gala though, with three passenger trains, two railcar units and two freight trains running to a busy timetable. The double headed Std 4 and Std 5 was a treat.
DSC03353.JPG

WillPS

Established Member
Slightly niche question - does anyone know which vehicles are planned for the 'rail replacement buses' for the upcoming 'reunified' anniversary gala?

Flying Phil

Established Member
Slightly niche question - does anyone know which vehicles are planned for the 'rail replacement buses' for the upcoming 'reunified' anniversary gala?
It may be worth your while to pop along to the GCR(N)Ruddington and ask the Bus people there as they are probably supplying the vehicles?

There was a photo charter using our Windcutter rake and the 9F (just before its with-drawing for 10 year overhaul). One of our team Gavin Thomson took this picture. (Click on to view)

Attachments

• IMG_1056 Gavin Thomson.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 86
Last edited:

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
It may be worth your while to pop along to the GCR(N)Ruddington and ask the Bus people there as they are probably supplying the vehicles?

There was a photo charter using our Windcutter rake and the 9F (just before its with-drawing for 10 year overhaul). One of our team Gavin Thomson took this picture. (Click on to view)

What a fantastic photo that is Phil!

Flying Phil

Established Member
This was running yesterday for crew training, ready for display at the GCR125 event this weekend.
DSC03459.JPG