• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Ticket Sale courtesy of Grant Shapps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Yes, I have advised the retailer (Trainsplit) and machine operator (Northern). No responses yet. The journey isn't until 9 May, so no panic yet.
I actually think it is highly unlikely that Trainsplit are at fault for this but they may be better placed to provide leverage to get something in place to ensure you don't have problems when you travel.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

CyrusWuff

Established Member
I'm somewhat surprised this isn't an e-ticket only thing. I thought the government wanted rid of ToD?
E-ticket is the preferred fulfillment method, but ToD and Ticket Office sales are also possible. Also some people prefer credit card-sized tickets over e-tickets.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Also some people prefer credit card-sized tickets over e-tickets.
Yes, but the point being made is that making it e-ticket only would encourage some behaviour change as a subtle attempt to accelerate the end of credit card sized tickets.

Of course, it would not be possible to make it e-ticket only as some flows in the sale aren't e-ticket enabled.

py_megapixel

Established Member
E-ticket is the preferred fulfillment method, but ToD and Ticket Office sales are also possible. Also some people prefer credit card-sized tickets over e-tickets.
You've missed my point slightly there. I don't dispute that some prefer the old style - but I am nonetheless surprised it is being offered in this sale, because what we are frequently told is that it is expensive and outdated and the DfT wants it gone.

Haywain

Veteran Member
And because some things like PlusBus can't (yet) be issued to eTicket selecting such an add-on defaults the whole transaction to CCST for ToD purposes.

You've missed my point slightly there. I don't dispute that some prefer the old style - but I am nonetheless surprised it is being offered in this sale, because what we are frequently told is that it is expensive and outdated and the DfT wants it gone.
It can't be made exclusively eTicket without restricting the ability to buy something other than rail sale tickets in the one transaction.

Mike@Raileasy

Verified Rep
Yes, I have advised the retailer (Trainsplit) and machine operator (Northern). No responses yet. The journey isn't until 9 May, so no panic yet.
It is, as Paul Kelly above says, a fault with the data the TVM was using. We have sent RDG an urgent bulletin to address this.

Just heard back:
We have a staff brief on this already just going trough approval and should be out first thing in the morning.

We know the issue is caused by the TVM suplliers not updating the IDMS data feed into their machines in sufficient time before the sale started, but we have worked it out to around 180 instances if “TEST DO NOT USE” out there.

Meant to say, thanks for using us :)

Raileasy

Verified Rep
I actually think it is highly unlikely that Trainsplit are at fault for this but they may be better placed to provide leverage to get something in place to ensure you don't have problems when you travel.
As Haywain says above - we understand this was a data issue with specific TVM providers which has now been resolved.

Additionally, RDG will shortly be issuing a staff brief regarding the issue so on-train and revenue teams are aware.

Haywain

Veteran Member
As Haywain says above - we understand this was a data issue with specific TVM providers which has now been resolved.

Additionally, RDG will shortly be issuing a staff brief regarding the issue so on-train and revenue teams are aware.
Good response by you guys, well done.

trei2k

ScotRail are getting in on the act, but with a very different offer: https://www.scotrail.co.uk/sale

We're bringing you an incredible half price seat sale this spring...

50% off all Off-Peak tickets for travel across Scotland.

You can buy your half price travel ticket from Monday 9 to Sunday 15 May inclusive.

Valid for travel on ScotRail services, from Monday 9 to Thursday 31 May inclusive.

Offer is for:

50% off all Off-Peak tickets for travel on ScotRail services. This includes the following ticket types: Off-Peak Day Return, Off-Peak Open Return, Super Off-Peak Day Return, Off-Peak Single, Highland Explorer Off- Peak and First Class Off-Peak.

No further railcard discounts.

Starmill

Veteran Member
If only they allowed railcards. In a sense, the offer itself does seem better than what the other TOCs offered though considering its not advance fares (ie not booked on one train).
A promotional reduction of 1/2 is still rather better than a reduction with a railcard of 1/3 of course. Generally this is sufficient to tip the balance I find on the mid range Off Peak or Super Off Peak fares from marginal to good. This offer is a real boon in that you can go somewhere with peace of mind because you don't need to be firmly committed to which train you'll take back, a point which puts lots of people off. Though c2c's offer does that too, and maybe now Thameslink does but it didn't seem to be working before.

CaptainHaddock

Established Member
It is, as Paul Kelly above says, a fault with the data the TVM was using. We have sent RDG an urgent bulletin to address this.

Just heard back:
We have a staff brief on this already just going trough approval and should be out first thing in the morning.

We know the issue is caused by the TVM suplliers not updating the IDMS data feed into their machines in sufficient time before the sale started, but we have worked it out to around 180 instances if “TEST DO NOT USE” out there.

Meant to say, thanks for using us :)
I had the same problem earlier today. Collected tickets from a Northern TVM at Leeds and they had "TEST. DO NOT USE" printed on them. Later I collected several more tickets from a LNER TVM at Wakefield Westgate and they didn't have the "TEST. DO NOT USE" text on them

tornado

Managed to get a return from Glasgow to London on Avanti for just £34 with railcard :D

When I looked they seemed to be mostly discounting the late evening 4 hr 57 and 5+ hr trains instead of the faster 4 hr 30 ones. Bit mean if you ask me.

Paul Kelly

Verified Rep - BR Fares
I think I might have been a bit unfair in blaming the TVM suppliers for printing the wrong ticket names. It seems the data may have only been updated with the correct names yesterday (or Monday night). Given that consumers of the data (such as TVMs) are generally only reloaded (at the most) daily, this wouldn't have been enough time to ensure that the correct names are widely rolled out. So the fault is more likely to lie with RDG.

Mikw

Booked a return trip from Leicester to London - 10am outward, 5.30pm leaving St Pancras for £22. Not bad really as it's often three times that or more.

I think £22 is the price that it should normally be really.

miklcct

On Moderation
Yes, it does now look as though SWR have released their tickets for this offer.
It seems that the SWR sales ticket can't be railcard-discounted, which is more expensive than the cheapest normal advances.

That means the only way for me to take advantage of cheap sales ticket is to travel on Southern services adding an hour into my journey time to London (where there are plenty of tickets at £1.75 between Southampton and East Croydon / Clapham Junction / London Victoria after railcard discount)

rg177

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
I don't thinnk they do. So far as I know, Northern have set every Rail Sale fare to be £1.50. I hadn't realised there were no railcard discounts, though that is reasonable considering. Carlisle to Leeds is probably the longest flow (112.75 miles) they have set up though.

I've managed to get Newcastle to Barrow-in-Furness via Workington...! That comes in at 147.2(ish) miles.

PG

Established Member
Just shows that even under alleged common control trying to get train companies to act together is like trying to herd cats.
Often thought people wishing to herd cats might manage better if they carried some cat food :lol:

CrossCountry suffer the twin edged sword of not having enough capacity for promotions and not drawing in enough revenue to justify a capacity increase.
TBH I wonder about the wisdom of including XC in this promotion due to their long known about lack of capacity...

Has anyone managed to find an Off-Peak Rail Sale ticket from Welwyn Garden City (WGC) to London, on any date? Fares from WGC to London Thameslink are supposed to be £8.20 in the Rail Sale. I'd like to help the Secretary of State (whose constituency includes WGC) find a good value ticket. :lol:
Perhaps if the Secretary of State had to do his own searching he'd have some idea how hard it is to find something that matches up with the headline hype :lol:

So the fault is more likely to lie with RDG.
Not the first (or last I suspect) time they've failed to deliver one of the things (national ticketing) they were set up 25+ years ago to do :rolleyes:

Skimpot flyer

Established Member
Those not familiar with the vagaries of our fare structure may pay more than they need to, even with these half-price fares.
A friend’s sister is over here on holiday from her native Poland, and they discussed going to the seaside for a day out during the half-price ticket period.
My friend has a gold card and knows the super off peak return from Welwyn Garden City to Brighton (route: via City Thameslink) on Saturdays is £14.50, but it isn’t being offered for half-price.

However, the following reduced-by-50% fares ARE available:
Return WGC to St Pancras £4.75
Return Brighton to St Pancras £6.70
Total £11.45

;)

JonathanH

Veteran Member
TBH I wonder about the wisdom of including XC in this promotion due to their long known about lack of capacity...
CrossCountry should have a reasonable idea of services - eg those at the end of the day - which do have capacity for this sort of offer.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I've also got the "FOR TEST USE ONLY" on my ToD but this was for a Southern journey booked through GWR.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
However, the following reduced-by-50% fares ARE available:
Return WGC to St Pancras £4.75
Return Brighton to St Pancras £6.70
Total £11.45

From what I can see Thameslink sale tickets are only available to London, so you'd be using the Brighton to London ticket the wrong way round and so technically this combination isn't valid.

Starmill

Veteran Member
CrossCountry should have a reasonable idea of services - eg those at the end of the day - which do have capacity for this sort of offer.
Indeed. For example if anyone is travelling from Birmingham to Manchester the 2057 and 2157 generally have availability. Not much on any other services though.

aquae39

Just checked Northern now including railcard discount, now only 95p with railcard for any advance tickets!

Paul Jones 88

Very pleased with my tickets booked for next Friday and the Tuesday after, taking me from Staplehurst to London Bridge and back again for four quid each way.

Howardh

Established Member
Booked a return trip from Leicester to London - 10am outward, 5.30pm leaving St Pancras for £22. Not bad really as it's often three times that or more.

I think £22 is the price that it should normally be really.
I've just put in an OP day return (today) Leicester-St Pancras and it's a whopping £70 (without railcard) and I'm surprised it's so much. - and split ticketing brings it down by 85p!! In my opinion £70 is an outrage for a trip of that length. I hope there are normally advance fares available to bring it down a bit?

Status
Not open for further replies.