• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JN114

Established Member
How do you mean? A temporary repair was made, trains are now running normally on electric through the tunnel.

It’s all done now, I’m not sure there’s anything exciting to add now until (and if) there’s any progress on the indefinitely deferred parts of the scheme.

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
If any schemes go ahead I suggest - easier that is all
1) Thames Valley branches have their own thread
2) Didcot to Oxford has its own thread
3) Reading - Basingstoke has its own thread
4) Bristol Parkway to Temple Meads and through Bath has its own thread
5) Cardiff extensions to wherever own thread

linuxlad7

How do you mean? A temporary repair was made, trains are now running normally on electric through the tunnel.

It’s all done now, I’m not sure there’s anything exciting to add now until (and if) there’s any progress on the indefinitely deferred parts of the scheme.
It didn't seem that way over breakfast
extensions

sorry what does 'extensions/deferred bits' refer to. Are there bits outstanding to do in the tunnels. Including Patchway???)

superkev

Established Member
It's now being reported that it's compleated:

Good news but so sad that with all major schemes just about complete all those hard won skills and expensive plant will now be most likely lost before the politicians act.
K

Tomos y Tanc

Here we go again.

"Secretary of State for Wales Simon Hart said he hoped to continue to work with Network Rail to grow Wales' economy and create "world-class transport infrastructure" in Wales.

“It is crucial that Wales has cutting-edge transport links to help people travel to work, encourage inward investment and better connect it to the rest of the UK in order to boost prosperity," he said.

Ken Skates, Minister for Economy, Transport and North Wales, said: “The completion of the electrification works in the Severn Tunnel is welcome news in terms of improving journey times between capitals and delivering towards our decarbonisation agenda for transport.

“I hope that the completion of this work can be taken as a strong signal of intent from Network Rail and the UK Government that there is more investment to come to improve journey times and capacity across South Wales in the future, including electrification westwards beyond Cardiff."

stj

I went down to STJ Station the other day and for the first time I spotted 800s going through on electric.Sad to see them running almost empty along with the empty Car Park.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
800s haven't gone through the Severn Tunnel full of pax yet and probably won't for a while :(

hwl

Established Member
Here we go again.

"Secretary of State for Wales Simon Hart said he hoped to continue to work with Network Rail to grow Wales' economy and create "world-class transport infrastructure" in Wales.

“It is crucial that Wales has cutting-edge transport links to help people travel to work, encourage inward investment and better connect it to the rest of the UK in order to boost prosperity," he said.

Ken Skates, Minister for Economy, Transport and North Wales, said: “The completion of the electrification works in the Severn Tunnel is welcome news in terms of improving journey times between capitals and delivering towards our decarbonisation agenda for transport.

“I hope that the completion of this work can be taken as a strong signal of intent from Network Rail and the UK Government that there is more investment to come to improve journey times and capacity across South Wales in the future, including electrification westwards beyond Cardiff."
Ken obviously didn't get the memo that he would be getting his cheque book out this time...;)

cle

Established Member
What will the quickest Cardiff journey time be (non stop to Bristol Parkway)?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
To do 146 miles according to Railmiles. Bristol Parkway is 112 miles - is that doable in 1h10 with only a stop in Reading?

No, not in timetable terms, although it would be possible in absolute terms. It’s 1h10 non-stop in the timetable, but that includes 4mins engineering allowance and 1min pathing allowance to keep it behind the previous Temple Meads service. If the latter is cancelled, or delayed to run behind the 1715, the 1715 will be arriving Parkway 5 mins early on a good day.

Pete_uk

Established Member
I have been watching gWr's Bristol to Paddington cab ride video and noticed that just after the train leaves Bristol Parkway towards London the catainery is held up by a mixture of:
Almost solid full width supports held up on both sides of the track;
Heavily engineered supports supported on one side only;
East coast style supports that look like poles,
all seemingly random and mixed up.

Why is there such a mixture over the same section of line?

jyte

From past discussions it's a wide variety of factors including but not limited to
  1. Neutral sections
  2. Catenary tensioners
  3. Ground conditions
  4. Possession availability at time of installation
  5. Torsion wind loading
  6. Signal sighting
Watching the video you refer to (
- I have added a timestamp for reference) I don't think it looks that 'random' at all.

59CosG95

Established Member
From past discussions it's a wide variety of factors including but not limited to
  1. Neutral sections
  2. Catenary tensioners
  3. Ground conditions
  4. Possession availability at time of installation
  5. Torsion wind loading
  6. Signal sighting
Watching the video you refer to (
- I have added a timestamp for reference) I don't think it looks that 'random' at all.
On Series 1 equipment, the single track I-section columns (which do look like ECML-style headspan masts to the untrained eye!) are nominally very tall so as to give the catenary & contact a wide berth from the Auto Transformer Feeder wires. Where the video shows the train crossing the M4 (15 minutes in) is an example of that, but slightly before, there were some masts that height with no ATF equipment on. I can only suspect that the original design for aerial ATF was superseded by a requirement to bury it in a cable trough - which, at a closer look, is due to National Grid pylons sailing overhead a little too close for Network Rail's comfort.

Last edited:

jyte

I can only suspect that the original design for aerial ATF was superseded by a requirement to bury it in a cable trough - which, at a closer look, is due to National Grid pylons sailing overhead a little too close for Netowrk Rail's comfort.
Oooh!

Good spot, think you're right.

linuxlad7

Oooh!

Good spot, think you're right.

went over to Pilning yesterday (golly,some of that metalwork near the station is chunky -- why? is it a major power supply?)

saw a few 800s, which appeared to have 2 pans up - really?? or my old age??

Last edited:

markymark2000

On Moderation
Are we now seeing the full benefits of the GWML Electrification with some decreased journey times or do we have a lot more to come? IF we have more to come, what are we waiting to happen before we can see the full benefits of the electrification?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Are we now seeing the full benefits of the GWML Electrification with some decreased journey times or do we have a lot more to come? IF we have more to come, what are we waiting to happen before we can see the full benefits of the electrification?
I thought last December’s timetable was supposed to have accounted for wiring completion, but with some trains still missing from the timetable?

Status
Not open for further replies.