• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Electrification Progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuu

Established Member
I found more information since my earlier post, (now edited), it was supposed to be a sectioning auto transformer site.

I haven’t seen what’s in position at Dr Day’s, but there’s a lot of power equipment containers and similar stuff around the railway that are not directly related to overhead wiring.
Around 2'55" in this video, looks very much like electrification equipment to me but I might be wrong

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

59CosG95

Established Member
It looks like Saltford ATS's compound was also established, but got mothballed before any electrical parts were installed.saltford.PNG
The ATS is, at first glance, where the drably-painted container surrounded by galvanised pallisade fencing is, in the top left of the screenshot.

WAO

There looks to be the enclosure fencing at least for the SATS immediately South of Bathampton Jn.

Another complete site, finished and marooned off the wires is at Radley, South of Oxford.

C'mon, Project Speed.

WAO

59CosG95

Established Member
There looks to be the enclosure fencing at least for the SATS immediately South of Bathampton Jn.

Another complete site, finished and marooned off the wires is at Radley, South of Oxford.

C'mon, Project Speed.

WAO
Newbury SATS (Up side of the BHL at Boundary Rd O/B) is also complete, with the main electrical cabinet on the west side, and the small AT compound (with no ATs yet; just passive provision) on the east.
Ditto Midgham ATS (in the station car park) and Theale ATS (just east of the station).
On the English side at least, it would appear that only Bramley ATFS, Southcote Jn SATS and Oxford SATS are unbuilt.

Don’t know if it is electrification related (but will make it easier), or routine work.

During October and November (multiple dates and times) Network rail has decided to remove loose rock and cut back trees in Corsham area through to Box tunnel.

As far as I’m aware electrification is officially postponed west of Chippenham, but maybe (as with the Midland extension), a section to include a power substation makes sense. I suspect the temporary feeder might not be suitable for long term high power use. There is a huge National Grid switching station couple of miles South of Thingley Junction (clearly visible on google satellite view just west of Beanacre, very close to the Melksham line) which is obviously ideal as a railway bulk feeder.
They had a massive cut back of Trees last year and also reprofiled the cutting between Corsham and Thingley Junction as well so suspect this is ongoing planned work rather than a reaction to Stonehaven

Non Multi

2 autotransformer energisation notices (see photos) seen at Burnham station on 1st October. For those who can't view the photos, here's the main information (mods welcome to edit below as quotes):

Notice 1-
Network Rail

The existing electrified area shall be extended; STOCKLEY J/18/07B TO MAIDENHEAD MLN/39/582

AUTOTRANSFORMER SYSTEM located adjacent to the Down Main from 11m 20ch to 24m 48ch

ASSOCIATED ATF SEALING ENDS, SWITCHES & ACROSS TRACK FEEDS
Hayes SATS at 11m 20ch (Main Line Side)
Slough ATS at 18m 0ch (Main Line Side)
Maidenhead MPATS 24m 4h (Relief Line Side)

WARNING
The new Autotransformer System & Associated Equipment shall be energised at 25,000 Volts AC and must be considered LIVE and DANGEROUS
From NOW

------

Notice 2 -
Network Rail

The existing electrified area shall be extended; STOCKLEY MLN/18/964 TO MAIDENHEAD MLN/39/582

AUTOTRANSFORMER SYSTEM located adjacent to the Up Relief from 11m 60ch to 24m 48ch

ASSOCIATED ATF SEALING ENDS, SWITCHES & ACROSS TRACK FEEDS Swallowfield at 11m 60ch (Relief Line Side)
Slough ATS at 18m Och (Main Line Side) Maidenhead MPATS 24m 48ch (Relief Line Side)

WARNING
The new Autotransformer System & Associated Equipment shall be energised at 25,000 Volts AC and must be considered LIVE and DANGEROUS
From 06:00 hours on 13/10/2020

Attachments

• 01102020~2.jpg
    01102020~2.jpg
    292.5 KB · Views: 39
  • 01102020a~2.jpg
    01102020a~2.jpg
    300.4 KB · Views: 37

thelem

I thought that section was finished? Is this a power upgrade to support more trains when Crossrail starts?

WAO

It was finished in that it would work in Classic mode (rail return) for the moment, from the Kensal Green ATFS. It is not an upgrade in the sense of being an afterthought as AT was always the design objective, with the large power demand in the tunnels.

Nice to see continuing progress.

WAO

59CosG95

Established Member
It was finished in that it would work in Classic mode (rail return) for the moment, from the Kensal Green ATFS. It is not an upgrade in the sense of being an afterthought as AT was always the design objective, with the large power demand in the tunnels.

Nice to see continuing progress.

WAO
Fantastic to see that the power supply work's nearly there on the 'Crossrail' section of works.
Should just be West Ealing & Kensal Green left AIUI.

If anyone in the London area could have a look for similar signs east of Stockley Jn, that would be hugely appreciated.

Chris125

Established Member
According to a post on another forum the Great Western & Wales Programme Board (Network Rail?) have approved wiring Acton West-Acton Wells and Didcot-Oxford-Hanborough, and it's waiting for the government to sign off the funding...

Can anyone confirm?

FGW_DID

Established Member
According to a post on another forum the Great Western & Wales Programme Board (Network Rail?) have approved wiring Acton West-Acton Wells and Didcot-Oxford-Hanborough, and it's waiting for the government to sign off the funding...

Can anyone confirm?

Yes, I’m sure I read this in a recent internal newsletter, the Hanborough part caught my eye as that’s my local station.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Can anyone confirm?

I don’t know the answer, but I can help with the process.

The Board you refer to is a regional board with Network Rail, TOCs and DfT that considers whether a project is the right strategic fit. It doesn’t have any budget, nor can it authorise anything. It then goes up to a national board, before entering the DfTs formal financial decision process. When they have said yes, it goes to Treasury for approval.

This process is followed for each decision point (initiate, develop, design, deliver). I’d be surprised if either of these were any further forward than a ‘design’ decision.

davetheguard

Established Member
The Board you refer to is a regional board with Network Rail, TOCs and DfT that considers whether a project is the right strategic fit. It doesn’t have any budget, nor can it authorise anything. It then goes up to a national board, before entering the DfTs formal financial decision process. When they have said yes, it goes to Treasury for approval.

What a lot of hoops; it's a wonder that anything ever gets done.

59CosG95

Established Member

Can anyone confirm?
If this is indeed the case, and it jumps through the various hoops A-OK, that's fantastic news. But why Hanborough specifically? Is there a long-term plan to redouble the track from Wolvercot Jn to there? (Edit: I've found a plan to do just that, seen below - taken from North Cotswold Line Transformation Strategic Business Case)
1602839518830.png
Is it a convenient point to install a Neutral Section?

Last edited:

JamesT

Established Member
If this is indeed the case, and it jumps through the various hoops A-OK, that's fantastic news. But why Hanborough specifically? Is there a long-term plan to redouble the track from Wolvercot Jn to there? Is it a convenient point to install a Neutral Section?

Hanborough is a useful place to send trains that would otherwise terminate at Oxford, clearing the platforms at Oxford.

gingertom

Established Member
If this is indeed the case, and it jumps through the various hoops A-OK, that's fantastic news. But why Hanborough specifically? Is there a long-term plan to redouble the track from Wolvercot Jn to there? Is it a convenient point to install a Neutral Section?
could there be a suitable grid feed point in the area? The cost of wiring to a turnback point (Hanborough) might be more cost effective compared to installing an "extension lead".

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Hanborough is a useful place to send trains that would otherwise terminate at Oxford, clearing the platforms at Oxford.
could there be a suitable grid feed point in the area? The cost of wiring to a turnback point (Hanborough) might be more cost effective compared to installing an "extension lead".
I suggest both and of course helps with the old Electric Spine concept too

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I shouldn’t think Oxford would need another grid supply. It‘s only a couple of normal ATF distances away from the main feeder at Didcot. (Re ABB diagram post #10107)

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
There's no trains at Burnham & Taplow on Sunday, so I imagine this is related.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Perhaps a MPATS then? NR must have developed a preliminary Major Feeding Diagram along the route to work out where the next feeder is.
It’s a SATS on that ABB drawing. I‘d expect a normally spaced grid feeder to be well north of Oxford, comparable to the distance Didcot to Maidenhead?

Status
Not open for further replies.