• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Great Western Livery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parallel

Established Member
I thought most of them had them fitted, wouldn’t surprise me if a couple didn’t though.

Was it a two car or three car unit that didn’t have them?

irish_rail

Established Member
Glad they have gone with an 802/0 as these are about the only stuff that get around all over the gwr network on a regular basis, although I expect it to be allocated local to Swindon area jobs for first few weeks till the novelty wears off and it can be allowed down here to the south west haha

irish_rail

Established Member
Glad they have gone with an 802/0 as these are about the only stuff that get around all over the gwr network on a regular basis, although I expect it to be allocated local to Swindon area jobs for first few weeks till the novelty wears off and it can be allowed down here to the south west haha
And true to form it came out today for the first time on the padd to Cheltenham route!!

pdeaves

Established Member
I noticed last week that one end vehicle on 802002 is covered in names, a 'St George' flag and 'three lions' which, if I interpret correctly, commemorate a ladies football team's achievement. All names/flags are between the windows and silver stripe.

Peter C

Established Member
I just don’t get all these ‘special’ liveries. This one is a thank you to the NHS. Don't get me wrong, I am very pleased that the NHS provide our health care and knowledge that they have had a very difficult time but I don’t see why a train should have a special livery. Same goes for Avanti who have recently launched a train in PRIDE livery.
I suppose it’s a continuation of railway companies naming their engines and applying liveries to commemorate and celebrate certain things - the GWR named several of their engines after RAF aircraft, the LNER football teams, and now we've got these nice liveries which do brighten up the boring liveries of some companies (in my opinion).

-Peter :)

northernbelle

I just don’t get all these ‘special’ liveries. This one is a thank you to the NHS. Don't get me wrong, I am very pleased that the NHS provide our health care and knowledge that they have had a very difficult time but I don’t see why a train should have a special livery.
Having stood on a platform with a 7, 5 and 3 year old and seen the NHS livery, I can see the value in such liveries. By the time they'd finishing asking all their little questions, their awareness of the NHS, all the different languages people speak in the UK, the ongoing virus situation - it had done a good job of educating them.

spark001uk

Established Member
@northernbelle Agreed, my son is very appreciative of it, seeing as his mum is a frontline worker.
As an aside, I note this is page 125, the best train to ever wear the gwr livery! ;)

fgwrich

Established Member
Just stumbled upon this tweet showing 166209 with the unit number now on the yellow section at the front like the GWR livery 166s, could this maybe mean that the repaint into green could be coming soon?

No, the original number was on the now damaged panel. It was obviously easier for SPM to use black number stickers (in stock) than find some replacement white stickers for the damaged black panel (which appears to be needing painting itself). A lot of the Turbo fleet is looked pretty patched up at the moment, 218 on the Barnstaple branch today had a battlescar and some yellow and black hazard tape.

pompeyfan

Established Member
No, the original number was on the now damaged panel. It was obviously easier for SPM to use black number stickers (in stock) than find some replacement white stickers for the damaged black panel (which appears to be needing painting itself). A lot of the Turbo fleet is looked pretty patched up at the moment, 218 on the Barnstaple branch today had a battlescar and some yellow and black hazard tape.

don’t want to cast aspersions but I’ve noticed several faults plaguing the turbos lately. It might just be they didn’t come into my radar when they were doing LTV work, but it may be something that SPM are doing differently from RTCD.

northernbelle

don’t want to cast aspersions but I’ve noticed several faults plaguing the turbos lately. It might just be they didn’t come into my radar when they were doing LTV work, but it may be something that SPM are doing differently from RTCD.

The Turbos are due to get some TLC as part of upgrade work that is currently being tendered.

Unlike their 15x brethren, the Turbos only received a 'refresh' undertaken in-house at Reading depot a number of years ago. While the job they did was commendable, they haven't had the same level of love received by the West fleet during the same period.

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Is the 166205 experimental refurbishment to remain as the only unit to be treated (even with different seat coverings)?
It wasn't really a refurbishment - it was just new seat covers and interior paintwork - the seat covers subsequently had to be replaced.

Deepgreen

Established Member
It wasn't really a refurbishment - it was just new seat covers and interior paintwork - the seat covers subsequently had to be replaced.
So, is 205 to remain unique in its redecoration, I wonder? I travelled on 165s and 166s yesterday and they are shabby at best, and have not improved since I stopped commuting on them in 2017. Internal doors were attempting to close every five seconds on the NDL which became irritating after a very short time, and must surely have been doing them no good. 1st class ID was as haphazard as ever - how can this be so hard to get right after so many years?

JonathanH

Veteran Member
Internal doors were attempting to close every five seconds on the NDL which became irritating after a very short time, and must surely have been doing them no good.
The way to fix that is to wait until the doors are moving towards each other and pull them shut. There is only a moment to catch them but I used to always find it possible to get them shut.

LiftFan

Are there any plans afoot to repaint the remaining 166s and 150s?
I have no idea but the 165/166 fleet as a whole is in dire need of refurbishment. Living in the Westbury area, it was certainly irritating having our lovely newly refurbished 150s and 158s get sent away and being replaced with Reading's crusty Turbo fleet, none of which are pleasant to ride at all!

superalbs

Established Member
I have no idea but the 165/166 fleet as a whole is in dire need of refurbishment. Living in the Westbury area, it was certainly irritating having our lovely newly refurbished 150s and 158s get sent away and being replaced with Reading's crusty Turbo fleet, none of which are pleasant to ride at all!
Even 166205 is getting a little bit, as you say 'crusty'. The tables and various panels are in a shocking state. :|

Image showing etched tables and mis-matched panels on 166205:
1624996910851.png

Last edited:

fgwrich

Established Member
Even 166205 is getting a little bit, as you say 'crusty'. The tables and various panels are in a shocking state. :|

Image showing etched tables and mis-matched panels on 166205:
View attachment 99062
If there's one thing I really disliked about the refresh that 205 received, was the over use of several shades of Grey - a colour pallet almost similar to how they were before the FGW refurbishment bought some colour into the otherwise bland interior of those things.

And yes, I do agree with you regarding having the recently refurbished 150/2s and 158s replaced with Reading's scruffiest.

GoneSouth

If there's one thing I really disliked about the refresh that 205 received, was the over use of several shades of Grey - a colour pallet almost similar to how they were before the FGW refurbishment bought some colour into the otherwise bland interior of those things.

And yes, I do agree with you regarding having the recently refurbished 150/2s and 158s replaced with Reading's scruffiest.
Have to say I’d prefer bland interiors any day. The FGW internal colours made me feel a bit sick, horrible. I like an interior to be calm and unnoticed rather than scream company branding. Don’t mind a bit of Colour on the seats if that’s how they want to get the company colours in there but just leave the walls well alone, we don’t need green or lilac walls thank you, it’s not the 1970s and we aren’t travelling in a hospital ward! And as for lighting, very wrong on the IEPs whereas the 16x were a bit more subdued, much better.
Best livery and internal refurb I’ve seen are TfW, well done!

Having said all that I do still love the GWR green external paint job on all their trains, classy!

Deepgreen

Established Member
The way to fix that is to wait until the doors are moving towards each other and pull them shut. There is only a moment to catch them but I used to always find it possible to get them shut.
Yes, that would be my ploy too, but they weren't moving at all - just the repeated click and hiss of the mechanism every five to ten seconds.

Status
Not open for further replies.