• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Bombardier Aventras (Class 720): Technical discussion and introduction

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Pretty sure 558 is out I think I was on it the other day, could be mistaken though.
It's time they started spreading out evenly to start getting rid of 321 and 317, the latter of which are majorly clapped out
720 558 has been out for a while - I had it for haulage back in April...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Shwam3

Are you sure it's not because it omitted stops, particularly after Bishop's Stortford? Some very short dwells recorded.
Can't see any stops cancelled by control, only a message about the initial delay (driver had a problem setting up the train).

Bikeman78

Established Member
Amazing run on 1743 LivSt Camb tonight - gained a full 16 minutes Cheshunt - Camb

such a shame that wont be any timetable improvements until 2023 or whenever

A horse and cart could make up time on those peak hour stoppers. I did a pair of 317s on the 1713 recently. It was hanging about waiting time at every station and departed a few of them early.

robert west

A horse and cart could make up time on those peak hour stoppers. I did a pair of 317s on the 1713 recently. It was hanging about waiting time at every station and departed a few of them early.
720546 and 720571 were on test today at Witham platfom 1 1345 hours

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I realise that WA drivers were trained on 720s and would have needed refreshers had they not been introduced on the West Side but it really does spread the fleet of 29 720s very thinly. I can only hope there's an incoming ramp-up of deliveries. I make it 7 into service so far in September 538/552/559/560/563/566/568* which is promising.

*Happy to be corrected, my notes are a mess.

From my own observations last week, I noted 720551 and 720542 arrive at 0825 from the London direction at Ipswich to then work the 0854 to London, that was 7th September. The next day, 8th September, the same diagram was 720536+720556 on the 0854 out of Ipswich.

I was on a cycle ride at the time, but on my way through Braintree on 8th September I noted what appeared to be a 720 on the 1300 to London. Couldn't tell for sure, as I was approaching a junction and needing to turn off and not be distracted by trains :lol: Other services I did were pairs of 321s.

Later the same day on 8th September, I had 720548 solo on the 1905 Clacton-on-Sea to London. I didn't see any other 720s on the sidings, so I assume it arrived on its own.

As for my own views on the new order, I quite like them. My upcoming Day 3 trip report for last week will detail my view on the cycle space a bit more, but generally speaking I do like the new trains. A major difference from a non-refurb 321, and a big change from the refurb 321s at that, although when the 321s retire I will miss them.

Slowly but surely the new order seem to be getting there, I reckon by the end of the year we could see significant numbers out in action.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
As for my own views on the new order, I quite like them. My upcoming Day 3 trip report for last week will detail my view on the cycle space a bit more, b
interested to hear your views on that- not yet been on a 720, but did get to see the cycle space when it was an MDF mockup in one of the buildings in Derby!

Techniquest

Veteran Member
interested to hear your views on that- not yet been on a 720, but did get to see the cycle space when it was an MDF mockup in one of the buildings in Derby!

My Day 3 trip report is now live on the relevant thread in the Trip Reports section, I think the following photo should show what it actually looks like on an actual 720:

It's not bad, but it's far from good enough. The strap supposedly to be used for securing another bike barely came out of the wall, so not really ideal. I'd not like to take a bike on a 720 again any time soon!

In terms of the ride, it was pretty smooth and quiet, with excellent acceleration. The train (0854 Ipswich to London Liverpool Street, 8th September 2021) was 6 late from Manningtree due to a signalling problem, back on time by Witham :D

Goldfish62

Established Member
My Day 3 trip report is now live on the relevant thread in the Trip Reports section, I think the following photo should show what it actually looks like on an actual 720:

It's not bad, but it's far from good enough. The strap supposedly to be used for securing another bike barely came out of the wall, so not really ideal. I'd not like to take a bike on a 720 again any time soon!

In terms of the ride, it was pretty smooth and quiet, with excellent acceleration. The train (0854 Ipswich to London Liverpool Street, 8th September 2021) was 6 late from Manningtree due to a signalling problem, back on time by Witham :D
Why have the seats got "not in use" labels?

samuelmorris

Established Member
Why have the seats got "not in use" labels?
All the tip-up seats were marked out of use after their usage was abandoned during Covid. I'm not sure if they ever plan on reinstating them tbh. It's a rather odd situation. Part of the spec that allowed GA to meet their franchise commitment for extra seats was tip-up seats everywhere including in the doorways, but as soon as the pandemic hit the idea was done away with.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
All the tip-up seats were marked out of use after their usage was abandoned during Covid. I'm not sure if they ever plan on reinstating them tbh. It's a rather odd situation. Part of the spec that allowed GA to meet their franchise commitment for extra seats was tip-up seats everywhere including in the doorways, but as soon as the pandemic hit the idea was done away with.

Because it was a rubbish idea, and the pandemic ended the franchise obligation?

RailWonderer

Established Member
The 720 spec represented everything wrong with the way the DfT specifies or indicates a requirement for a winning bidder. The tip up seats are located where bins are on most trains, leaving all litter to be left throughout the train and when occupied, vestibule seats block passengers from boarding and leaving the train. Totally defeats the purpose of wider doors. A 4-8-12 car 2+2 seating configuration 387 style (but with Kiel seats) would have been far superior, with 8 and 12 running to London and 4 cars for the branches. Many people (myself included) stand and do not use middle seats anyway.

Last edited:

jopsuk

Veteran Member
the tip up seats in the bike area have a very specific use- as bikes aren't allowed in certain directions at certain times. Tip up seats allow that are to be used flexibly, therefore

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
the tip up seats in the bike area have a very specific use- as bikes aren't allowed in certain directions at certain times. Tip up seats allow that are to be used flexibly, therefore

From experience on 350s they are useful at a very specific loading level. Below it they cause bikes to be put in the wrong place (as people sit there when other seats are available), above it they are better as standing room. I'd get rid.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
To be fair, I can't remember the last time I actually wanted to take my bike on *any* train if it could be avoided!

Not even a GWR HST with its ample bike storage in the TGS?

Given I like to tour the country as much as possible with my bike, sometimes it is completely unavoidable. There's a lot of trains with decent bike spaces, the 397s, 380s and 385s come to mind for 3 good examples. The IETs, however, no I'm not a fan whatsoever, regrettably they'll get used for positioning to/from cycle rides a fair bit in my part of the world, as well as when I finally make it to the South West!

Back to the 720s, any news on them?

Rick1984

Seems a strange choice to have carpet in bike area. Surely vinyl would be more practical? And the class 720 aren't/won't be the only class

iphone76

Seems a strange choice to have carpet in bike area. Surely vinyl would be more practical? And the class 720 aren't/won't be the only class
I think carpet was a strange choice in the entire train. Already most have large stains which is a shame to see. But I did mention that when they had the roadshow at Liverpool Street about 4/5 years ago but was told the spec was already fixed.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I think carpet was a strange choice in the entire train. Already most have large stains which is a shame to see. But I did mention that when they had the roadshow at Liverpool Street about 4/5 years ago but was told the spec was already fixed.
Carpet has considerable sound-deadening properties. It's the main reason the 720s sound so much quieter inside than 345s. It does need a lot of cleaning but ultimately makes for a more pleasant travelling environment if looked after.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
A lot of single 720/5s out today I noted, Colchester Town and Braintree were amongst other destinations I saw them going to. I'm surprised the Braintree one wasn't a pair though, considering it was peak time.

I strongly suspect by the end of the year they'll be out in very significant numbers, certainly it doesn't take long to find a 720 at Liverpool Street at the moment if you're reasonably patient.

Alfie1014

Has Anyone got a idea when the 720s can do split/couple services?
There are very few booked since the timetable change, I’ve only seen 5 cars working since that date.

The 05:20SX from Clacton comes up as a 10 and splits at Liverpool St though.

Paul Jones 88

Are 720s cleared for the Seven Sisters route out of Liverpool Street?
This has been used by Greater Anglia in the past for engineering work diversions with 317s and 379s.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Are 720s cleared for the Seven Sisters route out of Liverpool Street?
This has been used by Greater Anglia in the past for engineering work diversions with 317s and 379s.
They must be because a 720 has worked the 1811 Liverpool Street to Hertford East.