• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Bombardier Aventras (Class 720): Technical discussion and introduction

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
Has Anyone got a idea when the 720s can do split/couple services?

Not cleared for splitting or Joining en-route yet, computer software issues so I've heard (and we've heard all this before). Hence certain trains are formed of Class 321s.

mtmikethom

It has surprised everyone that a 720 (just) fits in platform 1 at Manningtree. A lot of people would have lost money betting it wouldn’t.
I notice the stopping mark (was 4 car I think) which was quite a few yards from the buffer has gone from Manningtree bay platform, trains are going up to buffer nearly, my estimation that a 720 wouldn’t fit was probably based on the stop mark, but as said they fit nicely with SDO

Established Member
I notice the stopping mark (was 4 car I think) which was quite a few yards from the buffer has gone from Manningtree bay platform, trains are going up to buffer nearly, my estimation that a 720 wouldn’t fit was probably based on the stop mark, but as said they fit nicely with SDO

That 4 car stop board short of the buffer stops was to do with the ramp for disabled access not fouling the stairs and lift infrastructure on the platform when 360s were in regular use. A 720 now has to go right up to the stops as you say.

William3000

Got the 0728 from Whittlesford to Cambridge today.

First impressions: Wow, the aisle is narrow. Large people or people with luggage are going to really struggle to move through the train. I had a small shoulder bag and it was difficult. It's definitely been designed with commuters in mind.

The bike spaces are decidedly average. A poor showing compared to the 745s. They're shared with tip up seats means that inevitably cyclists will have to annoy people by moving them.

Also they have pedal holder things which are, in my opinion, unhelpful. They just get in the way.
Totally agree - a massive step down compared to the 379s which are great. Once again the West Anglia Mainline is relegated to a secondary route compared to Great Eastern Mainline. Shame the 745s aren’t used for King’s Lynn and Cambridge.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
My son and I sat in the first pair of "airline" seats by the door, with the first bay of 3 in front of us.

It made me notice the number of people the clouted the 3 seat as they walked through the carriage...

One positive is the 2+1 tip up seats in some of the doorways - a group of lads were using these as bay seating...which doesn't matter on West Anglia as (unless you are going in the loops at Harlow or Broxbourne), all platforms are on one side, so doesn't matter if folks sit in the other side.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
Totally agree - a massive step down compared to the 379s which are great. Once again the West Anglia Mainline is relegated to a secondary route compared to Great Eastern Mainline. Shame the 745s aren’t used for King’s Lynn and Cambridge.
So what do you think is running on the Southend and Clacton/Ipswich lines then...??

Ianno87

Veteran Member
If anything, the 720s probably are quite well-suited to Hertford East/Bishops Stortford stoppers.

iphone76

Does anyone have the number for a good solicitor please? I'm currently on the 1829 from Stratford to a Southend line stop. I made the mistake of sitting on the aisle as it's busy as they don't have enought trains. My arm has fallen off from everyone walking past. I need compo.

But in all seriousness. These trains are not well designed. They have the seats, but in 30 years I've never had my arm bashed this much in a 321. And at shenfield the door seats caused people to standup when they didn't need to. Hopefully when Greater Anglia have enough trains to run their service it'll be better.

Last edited:

Established Member
Does anyone have the number for a good solicitor please? I'm currently on the 1829 from Stratford to a Southend line stop. I made the mistake of sitting on the aisle as it's busy as they don't have enought trains. My arm has fallen off from everyone walking past. I need compo.

Remember to pick your arm up before you get off. Bruised hips is another problem, not helped by those plastic grab handles. Shame a nice train has been spoiled by maximising seats which is not now the priority, although 2+3 seating would still be needed unless you accept an overall decrease in seating capacity, which the DfT wouldn’t.

Without checking every dimension, are 24m coaches slightly narrower to keep in guage?, hence what seems to be a narrower aisle compared to a 20m class 321 or 360.

There are enough trains on a Sunday to run longer formations, but passengers losing arms is probably cheaper.

iphone76

Remember to pick your arm up before you get off. Bruised hips is another problem, not helped by those plastic grab handles. Shame a nice train has been spoiled by maximising seats which is not now the priority, although 2+3 seating would still be needed unless you accept an overall decrease in seating capacity, which the DfT wouldn’t.

Without checking every dimension, are 24m coaches slightly narrower to keep in guage?, hence what seems to be a narrower aisle compared to a 20m class 321 or 360.

There are enough trains on a Sunday to run longer formations, but passengers losing arms is probably cheaper.
I forgot and have out in a request to lost property. Xx

Domh245

Established Member
Yes, 24m vehicles are narrower and so arguably not suitable for 3+2.

Depends - from when I snapped a picture of the endplate of a 720, they claim a width of 2.77m - Railwaycentre claims a width of 2.79m on the 360s and 2.82m on 321s so not exactly hugely different (at least when compared to the 360s). Not sure if it's a more tapered body profile or the seats being wider which narrows the gangway so significantly

iphone76

Depends - from when I snapped a picture of the endplate of a 720, they claim a width of 2.77m - Railwaycentre claims a width of 2.79m on the 360s and 2.82m on 321s so not exactly hugely different (at least when compared to the 360s). Not sure if it's a more tapered body profile or the seats being wider which narrows the gangway so significantly
I can't believe I'm typing this in this context, but that 5cm really does appear to make a difference between the 321 and 720. :lol:Yesterday was the first time I'd been on such a busy one, and it was noticeable how closed in everything felt.

Plus the seats by the doors don't work in reality people were shuffling around, and it slowed boarding down. It's also harder to see if there are any seats in the main areas of the train between the doors so people spend longer floating around in the vestibule area.

I'm sure we will get used to them over time, or things will be better when they have enough to run 10 cars when needed.

Goldfish62

Established Member
I've yet to travel on one but from photos the gangways look no narrower than on Electrostars with 2+3 seating or the 458s in original format. In the former case it's due to the thick sidewalls and in the latter case it was due to ducting running along the sidewalls. The 450s have noticeably wider gangways because the sidewalls are thinner.

MikeWM

Established Member
Rather unexpectedly, got my first one of these on Saturday between Liverpool Street and Cambridge (because Great Northern were having the usual Saturday meltdown). Think that's my first time back on the WAML south of Bishops Stortford in 18 months, not sure why that's taken so long, guess I finally got used to GN again.

First impression : quite a step down in experience from the 379s :( Admittedly I really like the 379s, but I can't say I was very impressed with the replacement.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Well off topic but aren't the 379s strongly rumoured to be going to GN to release some 387s back to Gat Ex? Or am I having more rolling stock cascade dreams again?
Interesting about the issues separating the 720s, I assume that issue is impacting deliveries. Have any more entered service?

KC1

Carpet has considerable sound-deadening properties. It's the main reason the 720s sound so much quieter inside than 345s. It does need a lot of cleaning but ultimately makes for a more pleasant travelling environment if looked after.

Deleted

Last edited:

TRAX

Established Member
I'd rather have a bit of rail noise as it mitigates unnecessary noises made by certain selfish passengers.

Yeah I do agree. Quiet buses and trains really aren't something positive to me, in this day and age of noisy passengers and cell phones.

robert west

Yeah I do agree. Quiet buses and trains really aren't something positive to me, in this day and age of noisy passengers and cell phones.
720559 in use yesterday on 0716 Witham to Liverpool street (1st time seen this one)

Does anyone have a list of what units are at Ilford please
many thanks.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
I had 720556 today on the 0953 Cambridge North to London Liverpool Street, surprised how nice a ride that was. Yesterday 720561 was at Ely (around 1745) although its working I didn't know and it went out ECS. Training run?

Seemed to be more pairs of 720s out now too, saw one pair (think 549 was in it, I noted it on the approach from Cambridge so didn't make copious notes) to Southend Victoria as I arrived at 1115, and there was another pair off to Colchester Town that I saw.

Photos attached are of 720561 at Ely yesterday and 720556 today at Cambridge on its way to Cambridge North.

Attachments

• 20211013_174724.jpg
    20211013_174724.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 56
  • 20211014_093743.jpg
    20211014_093743.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 55

Established Member
The unit at Ely was presumably the 17:39 2H42 arrival from Liverpool Street which goes ECS back to Cambridge CS. Although yesterday it only ran from Bishop's Stortford due to disruption.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The unit at Ely was presumably the 17:39 2H42 arrival from Liverpool Street which goes ECS back to Cambridge CS. Although yesterday it only ran from Bishop's Stortford due to disruption.

Probably so. There seems to have been a fair bit of disruption in the area every day this week, it was OK this morning it seemed, I certainly didn't notice anything untoward.