• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia line blocked outside Ipswich

Status
Not open for further replies.

NealG

Tonight Tue 21st line blocked outside Ipswich due to train hit "something". Thunderbird required to move it. Anyone any idea where/what the Thunderbird will be and where its coming from?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

eastdyke

Established Member
From GA JourneyCheck
https://www.journeycheck.com/greateranglia/

16.30 Liverpool Street to Norwich has come to stand after an object struck the train which has caused a fault to the train between Ipswich and Needham Market. An assisting train is on route to site.

Train services between Ipswich and Norwich/Cambridge and Peterborough are suject to severe delays short notice alterations/cancellations.

VP185

Trains struck object, thought to be a deer. 1P44 (air leak) and 1P55 (bent metal & damaged wiring) both at a stand with damage.

16:30 will be a pair of bins. I imagine the idea would have been that the 17:02 from London terminating at Ipswich would rescue it.

eastdyke

Established Member
Trains struck object, thought to be a deer. 1P44 (air leak) and 1P55 (bent metal & damaged wiring) both at a stand with damage.
RTT shows IP55 in P4 Colchester arr 48L at 18.51.
If RTT correct, presumably now caped?
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/L46977/2020-01-21/detailed

Edit to add: RTT now shows:
This service is partially cancelled
This service was cancelled between Colchester and London Liverpool Street due to animals on the line (X8).

NealG

1P46 LST to Norwich cancelled at Ipswich - wife hoping to get a taxi to Diss to save me doing the round trip

Edit - she did get a taxi!

Last edited:

Edders23

Deer are very strong muscular animals and can write cars off so I could imagine them able to do some damage to a train

TheEdge

Established Member
Deer are very strong muscular animals and can write cars off so I could imagine them able to do some damage to a train

The damage they normally cause is some sort of damage to whatever equipment is mounted on the front of the train, so normally air pipes, couplers and exposed electrical connections.

Alfie1014

Down line still blocked, though 1Z99 shown on site on RTT. Pilot working of down trains over the up line between Ipswich and Claydon, delays up to 120 mins with lots of disrupted stock and crews. I’ll be surprised if the impact isn’t still being felt in the morning at this rate?

NealG

I would assume that in addition to the regular short forms they are going to be down two more sets unless Crown Point do something miraculous overnight.

Alfie1014

Well Crown Point 1, the hauled set off 1P55 ended up in the Up loop at Colchester and the disabled train at Clayton is a pair of 321s will have to be hauled back to Ilford.

Mugby

Established Member
I remember a similar incident near Derby many years ago when I worked on the P/Way.

It transpired that deers don't actually belong to anyone so it's difficult to determine responsibility for removal, disposal, liability etc.

LAX54

Established Member
Well, that was a nightmare 'peak' in the Powerbox ! Urgent call from 1P44 @ 1740 to say, he saw 'sparks' and debris fly from under 1P55, and now his train was loss of power and loss of air. 1P55 examined at East Suffolk, bent metal plate, however this was not service stopping as such, terminated at Colchester due to late running.
1P44 however different story, seems a bit of damage was done, brakes seized 'on', and needed a fitter to assist, location of 1P44 was not the best ! Various options looked at, including using 1P48 to go and grab it
(was looking forward to a 20 car 321 !)
In the end they spilt the 8 car 321, and the passengers were transferred from the front 4 to the rear 4, and set back to Ipswich, so that they could carry on their journey
Fitters attention was required, and would be a long job, so SLW was planned, this was implemented as soon as the staff were in place. Traffic from London, was given preference
but of course at this time of night it was always going to be messy ! Took a bit of time to get staff for SLW in place.
In the end, the 4 car that was detached to bring the passengers back to Ipswich, was sent back as 1Z99, and once the fitter had made the failure, moveable, (leading coach ended up with no brakes) was reattached, pushed it into Claydon loop at 5mph, then ran round the train to bury the damaged coach, and then when there was a gap in traffic, ran back to Colchester.
Hectic from 1730 right up to 2330 ! must be the biggest incident we have had on this part of the GEML for some time !
Not sure if stock out of place will impact the morning peak, GA trundling units about over night, although they will be at least 1 x 321 short.

LAX54

Established Member
The damage they normally cause is some sort of damage to whatever equipment is mounted on the front of the train, so normally air pipes, couplers and exposed electrical connections.

on the 321, some sort of filter broken off

LAX54

Established Member
Tonight Tue 21st line blocked outside Ipswich due to train hit "something". Thunderbird required to move it. Anyone any idea where/what the Thunderbird will be and where its coming from?

Ended up rescuing itself :) :)

Alfie1014

Thanks for the details swills it’s one thing to watch it unfold on East Anglian Signal Maps and another to understand the details. Never good detraining passengers in the dark, some complaints online about lack of customer support (being charged for free water!) I thought GA had Customer Action Teams for incidents like this?

Amazed to see how well the service was put back together for this morning with minimal impact though.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Ended up rescuing itself :) :)

I can recall some "interesting" fixes to 321's on the WCML South to get damaged units moving , having hit various items. Enterprising fitters and Driver Standards Managers. Even now , best not to go into them , but they worked to clear the line with empty units.

Sounds like you had an incredibly challenging shift yesterday.

LAX54

Established Member
Thanks for the details swills it’s one thing to watch it unfold on East Anglian Signal Maps and another to understand the details. Never good detraining passengers in the dark, some complaints online about lack of customer support (being charged for free water!) I thought GA had Customer Action Teams for incidents like this?

Amazed to see how well the service was put back together for this morning with minimal impact though.

We had a good Signalling shift on during the night, plus aided by our Local Ops Manager and Ops Manager helping out, and good comms between, us and the ROC, it was inevitable that there would be large delays due to the amount of trains at that time of night, you can thin it out a little, but people need to get home (as does the stock !)
Getting staff for SLW in the evening rush on the A14 and A12 was never going to be swift.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.