• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia makes further changes to its weekday timetable (from 10th January 2022)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grumbler

Apparently there’s a meeting between at least one local MP (who happens to be chair of the GEML Taskforce) and GA tomorrow, “to hold them over the coals”. Be interesting to see if anything changes!
Hold them over the coals? But what about Climate Change?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DJS76

It does look a bit odd that the off-peak pattern doesn't just run through the peaks. Having Hertford services running to Stratford usually allows more trains to Cambridge in the normal timetable but those stay 2tph in a different part of the hour to the off-peak service.
What is also slightly odd is that the Hertford East services follows just 1-2 minutes behind the Meridian Water service so I assume this means that both platforms at Stratford are occupied at the same Time. I thought this was avoided to ensure a clean path to and from Orient sidings?

dk1

Veteran Member
What is also slightly odd is that the Hertford East services follows just 1-2 minutes behind the Meridian Water service so I assume this means that both platforms at Stratford are occupied at the same Time. I thought this was avoided to ensure a clean path to and from Orient sidings?
Not much moving in/out of Orient Way right now. Would be easy enough to hold anything going in on the up/down Temple Mills.

Bikeman78

Established Member
It is a bit harder to cut back on WA as to do any cut backs beyond the obvious cutback of Stratford to Bishops Stortford services you end up with 1tph to Hertford East and / or Cambridge.
At least they've had the sense to put eight cars on all Hertford trains and the school train in to Cambridge. Not sure what the medium term plan is. 10 car 720s cannot run to Hertford or Stratford. When is Hertford likely to be extended?

The main complaint on social media seems to have been the loss of Hertford East to Liverpool Street services. Everything from Hertford is running to Stratford.

The connection at Broxbourne onto the Up Fast from Cambridge is 15 minutes or so, such that it might be quicker to stay on the ex-Hertford to Stratford, then complete the journey by Elizabeth or Central lines.
I thought that might cause a problem. You can change at Tottenham in the up direction. The current timetable is a mess. Why not stick to every 30 minutes all day on West Anglia? There is a gap from 1558 to 1643 going to Cambridge.

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
At least they've had the sense to put eight cars on all Hertford trains and the school train in to Cambridge. Not sure what the medium term plan is. 10 car 720s cannot run to Hertford or Stratford. When is Hertford likely to be extended?
All planned to be done in the next few months. Did have an email but must've deleted it.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Changes next week and week after on website….https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/ttsummary
Thanks. Hertford East trains revert to Liverpool Street on the 24th. Does this mean that Stratford to Bishop's Stortford will come back or will Stratford to Tottenham drop to half hourly?

Bishopstone

Established Member
The narrative is heavy on ‘Not Enough Customers!’, whereas other TOCs that have majored on ‘Not Enough Staff!’ will need to pivot to a different explanation for thin timetables, as case numbers recede and isolation periods are cut.

As a communications exercise, it’s quite smart and honest of Greater Anglia not to take the line of least resistance and issue a ‘people are sick!’ statement.

On Moderation
The narrative is heavy on ‘Not Enough Customers!’, whereas other TOCs that have majored on ‘Not Enough Staff!’ will need to pivot to a different explanation for thin timetables, as case numbers recede and isolation periods are cut.

As a communications exercise, it’s quite smart and honest of Greater Anglia not to take the line of least resistance and issue a ‘people are sick!’ statement.
It makes a change from the current business excuse of choice for any and every instance of change/poor service - "it's Covid innit".

dk1

Veteran Member

Not that many off sick at all in this neck of the woods. Slightly more than normal but still plenty of spare & rest day availables on the daily list.

Bishopstone

Established Member
Not that many off sick at all in this neck of the woods. Slightly more than normal but still plenty of spare & rest day availables on the daily list.

Good to hear, and let’s hope the situation continues to improve.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member

I had a nostalgia trip today - PBO to Ipswich (partly to see the new Soham station) and back to London via Colchester on the main line. Loadings on the 12 car from IPS were pretty decent I have to say - and I have to say (yes -it was superb weather) , the appearance of the stations and the on train staff and punctuality were spot on.

So please take a compliment ....good service all round,

dk1

Veteran Member
I had a nostalgia trip today - PBO to Ipswich (partly to see the new Soham station) and back to London via Colchester on the main line. Loadings on the 12 car from IPS were pretty decent I have to say - and I have to say (yes -it was superb weather) , the appearance of the stations and the on train staff and punctuality were spot on.

So please take a compliment ....good service all round,
That’s is so kind of you to say & of course I will. So many try so hard & yes passenger numbers have held up well despite government guidance. It can only get better as they say.

Railperf

Established Member

1736 Liverpool St to Clacton - 10-car Aventra full and standing today from Stratford. Noted very few instances of three seated together in the 3+2 seats - pax seem to prefer to stand!! But bays of four 2+2 (slightly wider seats) fully filled. There is a lesson there.

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member

Burles seems to be an outlier saying it as it is not using the cover story other TOCs are using. Just run an RTT all day search on WAT/EUS and it shows them to be running nigh on a full service everyday so far this week despite covid being at peak then going tor educed service next week just as covid is in rapid decline. Then in all likelihood the week after will see restrictions revoked and WFH guidance dialled back or scrapped and we will be left with an inadequate service.

dk1

Veteran Member
Burles seems to be an outlier saying it as it is not using the cover story other TOCs are using. Just run an RTT all day search on WAT/EUS and it shows them to be running nigh on a full service everyday so far this week despite covid being at peak then going tor educed service next week just as covid is in rapid decline. Then in all likelihood the week after will see restrictions revoked and WFH guidance dialled back or scrapped and we will be left with an inadequate service.
Can’t quite understand why WFH is still such a thing. Surely that instruction will be rescinded any day now? Must be hurting so many supporting businesses & the economy for what seems like little reason considering you can do most other things without distancing.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Apart from the tedious "Karen on Facebook" - talking to close friends and neighbours , who started going back to London for work before the Xmas period , only to be knocked back by "WFH" - are basically looking forward to going back to work to get away from the tedium of home working , especially as most are either double or triple jabbed. It is not just work , but wider communication and interfaces.

I know Thameslink only too well , and a slow ramp up is there , but one that is likely to increase I am sure by the end of the Spring - ......where are we - about 35% or so of pre 2020 levels , so some way to go.

Alfie1014

Good to see the acknolwedgement that the 'plan' wasn't working and didn't even last four working days in anger before changes were announced. Presumably the delay until the 24th for the most substantial changes is because these need to develop and validate, new diagrams be produced and rosters worked up and on-line systems popoluated with the changes, complicated by the fact that the base is a Sunday service which will need the additional trains overlaid rather than simply weekday trains reinstated? Not surprising changes have been made though how they have been eviserated on social media, by local press and by those MPs (not keeping their heads or baracading themselves to prop up No.10).

A shout out to the train planners though having to keep up with the changes and trying to hold together a workable plan in the face of all that's going on! To paraphrase Gerry Fiennes "this is not how to run a railway"!

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Good to see the acknolwedgement that the 'plan' wasn't working and didn't even last four working days in anger before changes were announced. Presumably the delay until the 24th for the most substantial changes is because these need to develop and validate, new diagrams be produced and rosters worked up and on-line systems popoluated with the changes, complicated by the fact that the base is a Sunday service which will need the additional trains overlaid rather than simply weekday trains reinstated? Not surprising changes have been made though how they have been eviserated on social media, by local press and by those MPs (not keeping their heads or baracading themselves to prop up No.10).

A shout out to the train planners though having to keep up with the changes and trying to hold together a workable plan in the face of all that's going on! To paraphrase Gerry Fiennes "this is not how to run a railway"!
I believe Burles knew this but was responding to his new Lords and Masters in Great Minister House hence his quite open website news item last week to deflect the blame. The majority of TOCs are hinding behind lack of staff due to Covid yet most operators have delivered very very impressive train service levels against there old larger timetables which is hardly a sign of staff shortage although undoubtedly the staff have responded to keep things moving is the true reason. With the current restrictions highly unlikely to be extended on 26th Jan and an incraesing clamour from media and industry to pull WFH guidance, even Khan on LBC yesterday was pushing for it, means the key constraint on passenger numbers will be removed and operators won't have a service in place to match demand. Im not expecting it to get back to more than it was in Autumn but returning timetables to Dec 21 levels should have a plan from all TOCs but if they are having to sit on the fence and get agreement from DofT for every change this is going to be helpful in restoring passenger demand.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
With the current restrictions highly unlikely to be extended on 26th Jan and an increasing clamour from media and industry to pull WFH guidance, even Khan on LBC yesterday was pushing for it
I imagine that Khan has probably been told to toe the line if he wants the TfL bailout extended...?

Established Member

Absolutely, and the roster clerks who are at the end of the planning food chain. Plus the Control staff having to understand all that has been planned.

You can’t underestimate the stress all this puts on people, many of whom by the very nature of the job are accurate and methodical types, not used to just throwing something out there quickly at the drop of a hat, only to then have to constantly change it.

Class 170101

Established Member

Not much moving in/out of Orient Way right now. Would be easy enough to hold anything going in on the up/down Temple Mills.

I thought that might cause a problem. You can change at Tottenham in the up direction. The current timetable is a mess. Why not stick to every 30 minutes all day on West Anglia? There is a gap from 1558 to 1643 going to Cambridge.
In relation to all three quotes above, Operators are probably trying to stay in booked paths as much as possible because NR will flex or reject otherwise. Time for these plans are limited, its evolution rather than revolution.

Spet0789

A question for those who know the WAML well… why are the Stansted and Cambridge services running so slowly at peak times? As an example, pre-Covid weekend trains from Harlow Town to Liverpool Street generally were timed at just above 30 mins. Now they are timed for 40 minutes. Seems like the worst of both worlds! Weekend frequencies but peak weekday journey times.
Anyone know the answer to this?

Why are the WA Cambridge and Stansted weekday peak services BOTH slow and less frequent? Surely if they dial the frequency back and expect shorter dwell times than usual due to light usage they should be able to hit the faster weekend / off peak timings?

Looks to me like GA taking the proverbial to me, to give themselves an easy life. Or am I too cynical?

Class 170101

Established Member
Anyone know the answer to this?

Why are the WA Cambridge and Stansted weekday peak services BOTH slow and less frequent? Surely if they dial the frequency back and expect shorter dwell times than usual due to light usage they should be able to hit the faster weekend / off peak timings?

Looks to me like GA taking the proverbial to me, to give themselves an easy life. Or am I too cynical?
4tph down to 2tph Stansteds will be because of covid driver related reductions. The remaining pair call at all of Tottenham Hale, Harlow Town, Bishops Stortford and Stansted Mountfichet (1tph) rather than being spread amongst 4tph.

Also note that the 1H services which are the faster Cambridges calling only at Tottenham, Harlow, Bishops Stortford, Audley End, Whittlesford and Cambridge and thence to Kings Lynn as appropriate are all wihdrawn so the remaining 2Hs will look slower.

In terms of timings as I have pointed out elsewhere other operators slots have to be respected or may be flexed or rejected by NR. Planners are busy right now and keeping train plans simple is both operationally, practically and mentally better for all, including the planners.

dk1

Veteran Member
4tph down to 2tph Stansteds will be because of covid driver related reductions. The remaining pair call at all of Tottenham Hale, Harlow Town, Bishops Stortford and Stansted Mountfichet (1tph) rather than being spread amongst 4tph.
The reduced Stansted Express is purely down to the downturn in airport & commuter traffic & has been in place since 2020.

Class 170101

Established Member
The reduced Stansted Express is purely down to the downturn in airport & commuter traffic & has been in place since 2020.
True but also helps with covid issues and makes reductions to other service groups less severe.

dk1

Veteran Member
True but also helps with covid issues and makes reductions to other service groups less severe.
Been plenty of spare drivers & spare from home throughout in this neck of the woods. Driver training has continued almost uninterrupted too.

evergreenadam

Here‘s the link https://www.greateranglia.co.uk/abo...s-customers-and-makes-changes-new-temporary-0 basically some extra peak workings from Monday and from the 24th Hertford - LIV St and Colchester to Walton restored, plus one through morning peak train from Southminster.
The restoration of the Colchester-Walton on the Naze service appears to recognise the need for Monday to Friday services into the centre of Colchester for those workers, students and shoppers from the Essex coast. It seemed ridiculous to cut it in the first place.

Bikeman78

Established Member

Also note that the 1H services which are the faster Cambridges calling only at Tottenham, Harlow, Bishops Stortford, Audley End, Whittlesford and Cambridge and thence to Kings Lynn as appropriate are all wihdrawn so the remaining 2Hs will look slower.

In terms of timings as I have pointed out elsewhere other operators slots have to be respected or may be flexed or rejected by NR. Planners are busy right now and keeping train plans simple is both operationally, practically and mentally better for all, including the planners.
Judging by dk1's comments, this is a cost cutting exercise, no doubt driven by DFT/Treasury, rather than any problems with driver availability. I've not encountered a single crew related cancellation on West Anglia since Covid started.

Also worth flagging up that this is the worst timetable since summer 2020. In January 2021, the 1628, 1837 and 1907 departures to Cambridge still ran. Stratford to Bishop's Stortford ran hourly with peak extras. There are far more people out and about now compared with January and February (or even April) last year so I'd expect more trains not fewer.

Status
Not open for further replies.