• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Greater Anglia Rolling Stock Updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wivenswold

Established Member
With all the changes due to take place in East Anglia over the next 4 years, it's probably worthwhile having a single thread to cover Rumours, News, Deliveries, Testing, Withdrawals and other tidbits.

A reminder for all of what's coming up, in some sort of order.
Refurbishment for 30 x 321s as part of the Renatus scheme.
Refurbishment for the Class 170 fleet
Temporary allocation of ex GN Class 317s and 321s.
Refreshes for Class 317/321s
New stock news including testing, entry into service and diagramming.
Updates on infrastructure works needed for the new stock.
Frequent changes to diagram/stock allocations.
Introduction of Stadler Flirts
Countdown to the end of Loco-hauled intercity services.
Introduction of Aventra EMUs
Farewells to much-loved and some not-so-loved types of unit.
Disposal/reallocation of existing fleets

There's a lot coming up and it would be ideal to have one place for ease of reference.

I have only a little news to add. 321321 is back and under test on the mainline, I assume with the new AC traction pack.

I went on "refreshed" 321 355 yesterday, new colour scheme works well.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

chubs

You could also add "Countdown to the end of Loco-hauled local services" which will upset the enthusiasts but finally bring a more modern service on the local lines out of Norwich!

The new pics of the 170 fully refurbished look good. Hoping to catch one when I head that way next week.

samuelmorris

Established Member
Subbing to this - there is indeed quite a lot to track, though I'm not sure who here has access to any inside knowledge regarding the process of any of this.

So far despite using the GEML every day I've only been on one ex-GN 321 and never had use of either of the current Renatus units, though I gather neither of them have been in service this year. I racked up a fair few miles on 448 as the demonstrator before it was withdrawn, so I'll be interested to compare the two, though said journeys are becoming a distant memory, my last back in January 2015!

Wivenswold

Established Member
I've been on a Renatus and was impressed, so were a lot of fellow passengers going by the comments I heard. Most assumed it was one of the new trains.

It will be interesting to see what difference the AC package makes when they return to service.

There are a few on here with insider knowledge but hopefully this will thread will hopefully also allow curious minds to ask questions and railway buffs to speculate on the upcoming changes.

sd0733

Established Member
170208 is up at Crewe, the other day it was shunting around the yard at Arriva depot. The visible driving vehicle was almost stripped to bare metal and the centre car was in in a semi stripped advertising vinyl. The other driving coach wasn't attached.

samuelmorris

Established Member
I've been on a Renatus and was impressed, so were a lot of fellow passengers going by the comments I heard. Most assumed it was one of the new trains.

It will be interesting to see what difference the AC package makes when they return to service.

There are a few on here with insider knowledge but hopefully this will thread will hopefully also allow curious minds to ask questions and railway buffs to speculate on the upcoming changes.

Despite the fact that I gather the doors still sound like they're going to fall off? :s

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Specific (sub) fleets to be introduced:
5 car Bombradier Aventra
10 car Bombardier Aventra
12 car Stadler Flirt EMU (Norwich version)
12 car Stadler Flirt EMU (Stansted version)
4 car Stadlier Flirt Bi-Mode
3 car Stadler Flirt Bi-Mode

Bringback309s

GA say that each refurbished 170 gets an extra six seats - I'd assume this means taking out the old 2+1 first class seats and fitting standard 2+2 seats, however the video on GA's website shows 2+1 seating still fitted (along with the old green wall panelling that looks wrong) so how are they achieving this?

Clansman

Established Member
GA say that each refurbished 170 gets an extra six seats - I'd assume this means taking out the old 2+1 first class seats and fitting standard 2+2 seats, however, the video on GA's website shows 2+1 seating still fitted (along with the old green wall panelling that looks wrong) so how are they achieving this?

They probably replaced the bigger first class seats which were in a 1+1 formation for 2/3 of the rows, due to the large size of them which would block both staff and passengers doors. So they'll manage to get another 4 first class seats in with the ones they are using on the refurbished units which sit in 2+1 formation throughout (same as on Scotrail #1 series 170s, which are slightly smaller). So really they just need to find a way to get an extra 2 standard class seats in and that will equate to 6 - unless AGA 170s only have 1 first class section, in that case it would be 2 extra first class seats and 4 seats extra in standard. Do AGA 170s still have the buffet - or is it just Scotrail 170s which have them now?

Last edited:

F Great Eastern

Established Member
Buffets were removed due to the ill-fated 'none' experiment running them on through services to London solo, in the place of 2x4 car EMUs, causing mass overcrowding.

chubs

The buffets came out ages ago but guards compartment was left in, which is now coming out and probably accounts for the extra 6 seats.

I thought first class had come out ages ago and been replaced with normal seats? I don't recall seeing declassified first on any, but haven't gone looking for it (maybe I should have!)

Are you sure about them keeping the green walls? Cant see clearly in the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brFqAEKBaZs

Last edited:

Blindtraveler

Established Member
These 170s will be interesting as with the acception of Chilton/southerns reclassiffication refits this I would say is the most comprehensive refurb of any 170s since built.

I will be sad to see the MK3s go, as having used them the other week the GA refurb whilst not revolutionary is cumfy

dk1

Veteran Member
GA say that each refurbished 170 gets an extra six seats - I'd assume this means taking out the old 2+1 first class seats and fitting standard 2+2 seats, however the video on GA's website shows 2+1 seating still fitted (along with the old green wall panelling that looks wrong) so how are they achieving this?

No 1st class seating is being removed or altered in any GA170. Only the 3-cars gain extra seating.

The refurbed 170 last Saturday (and Monday morning when I saw it) had one car locked out of use. Has this been fixed and the unit is out in service ?

F Great Eastern

Established Member
I will be sad to see the MK3s go, as having used them the other week the GA refurb whilst not revolutionary is cumfy

It's a proper refurb, which should have been done years ago rather than the pathetic attempt at a so called refurb by National Express which was ****e.

Wivenswold

Established Member
Oh dear, as many problems as the laundry list that the first Renatus went back up north with?

ginger

Oh dear, as many problems as the laundry list that the first Renatus went back up north with?

Has quality control arrived in rail refurbishment yet? Why in this day and age does this happen?

Is it not rocket science that when a multi million pound contract is signed that the company paying actually checks the work has been done to a decent standard?

Wivenswold

Established Member
That's a little harsh, these are the first few units of a new project. Some problems will simply not be spotted until the trains have run mileage accumulation tests, that's why they happen. A bit like new types of cars, computer programmes, most things that require engineering in fact.

I'm actually pleased that AGA decided that they wouldn't do and sent them back. Attention to detail and all that.

The easy option would have been to have postponed the work as new units are on the way, which would no doubt have caused more anger with commuters.

LAX54

Established Member
You could also add "Countdown to the end of Loco-hauled local services" which will upset the enthusiasts but finally bring a more modern service on the local lines out of Norwich!

The new pics of the 170 fully refurbished look good. Hoping to catch one when I head that way next week.

And then after a couple of months all the commuters will be pining for the hauled sets back !

Dave1987

On Moderation
Has quality control arrived in rail refurbishment yet? Why in this day and age does this happen?

Is it not rocket science that when a multi million pound contract is signed that the company paying actually checks the work has been done to a decent standard?

Siemens apparently extensively tested the brand new class 700's before introducing them into service, yet they have been failing left, right and centre with some of the worst reliability figures on the network. Even brand new trains have teething problems to begin with.

chubs

And then after a couple of months all the commuters will be pining for the hauled sets back !

Doubt it, most people I speak to are quite keen to finally get some new stock around here and be rid of the junk.

LAX54

Established Member
Doubt it, most people I speak to are quite keen to finally get some new stock around here and be rid of the junk.

Indeed they may think that at the moment, once they park their bums on seats etc, it may make them pine for a nice comfy Mk 3 :) !
Mind you they might get to London 2 or 3 mins quicker ! lol

LAX54

Established Member
Most of us older Clacton commuters still pine for the 309s.

Ahh the 309's 1st class units indeed, and whilst all this new stuff will be all shiny and new, could be a case of the Kings New Clothes ! :)

Last edited:

TheEdge

Established Member

Hahaha.

You wait, when they all suddenly realise their "proper" train has been replaced by a unit. The most common will be "not as comfortable" and "much noisier" :lol:

dk1

Veteran Member
So at least it will give them something else to moan about. Some commuters seem to do very little else. I for one get pleasure from their constant whinging. It makes me feel everything is well in the world :lol:

So at least it will give them something else to moan about. Some commuters seem to do very little else. I for one get pleasure from their constant whinging. It makes me feel everything is well in the world :lol:

I'm looking forward to a change of whinge subject though, its very difficult to pay any attention at all now!

dk1

Veteran Member
I'm looking forward to a change of whinge subject though, its very difficult to pay any attention at all now!

Just wait till the INTERCITY Stadler & the 1st class punters get wind that they have NO toilets.

Last edited:

Wivenswold

Established Member
I'm to blame for the "no toilets" rumour. I was told by someone who is usually reliable but had duff info. There will be toilets on GA Aventras.

Status
Not open for further replies.